LegacyGT.com

Smog Cameras

Knight705

Just in case some of your guys haven't read or saw these things, CA is starting to plant remote cameras/sensors on freeway on-ramps all over OC, LA, Riverside that will monitor your exhaust

and if it is high, it will send a message to have a notice sent to your house.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/orange/la-me-smog16nov16,1,554354.story?coll=la-editions-orange

Think we should either use this thread or start a new one to start posting locations where there are these sensors/cameras. That way those of us who aren't exactly "legal" can avoid them and use different on-ramps.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Think we should either use this thread or start a new one to start posting locations where there are these sensors/cameras. That way those of us who aren't exactly "legal" can avoid them and use different on-ramps.

I believe that could be construed by law enforcement types as illegal activity.

I'm pretty sure I saw (and drove through) one of these stations. It was on the I-15 North bound side at the Cajalco Rd on ramp. This was a couple weeks ago. I noticed for 3 days in a row there was a conspicuous white van parked near the end of the on ramp. There was a lot of electronic equipment and sensors placed on both sides of the ramp. I really had no idea what it was and felt tempted to stop and ask what "Big Brother" was up to.

Now I know........

Good thing that I still run a fully stock exhaust.

how is it illegal to avoid sensors? then that means when ppl share locations of speed traps or those alcohol roadblocks, they are breaking the law too. :rolleyes:

Yes. It's called collusion. Organizing to defeat enforcement of laws or investigations by the authorities. People do it informally all the time but leaving a written trail is not a terribly good idea.

Well it is going to be hard to prove anything with those on ramp "sniffers". Smog is done at idle 1500Rpm and 2500Rpm with a fixed load. It is going to hard to be acurate depends on how much throttle you are giving it. As you enter the on ramp your car is trying to run a 14.7:1...but if you go over somthing like 80% of throttle you PCM will default to 12:1 air fuel ratio. 12:1 = Rich and will fail smog for sure!!!! all you really have to do is go by off throttle. Just there to please the tree huggers... my $.02

SocalSleeper

Yes. It's called collusion. Organizing to defeat enforcement of laws or investigations by the authorities. People do it informally all the time but leaving a written trail is not a terribly good idea.

collusion = A secret agreement between two or more parties for a fraudulent, illegal, or deceitful purpose.

deceitful = intended to deceive; misleading; fraudulent

we aren't doing anything fraudulent.

we aren't doing anything illegal (in sharing info)

and we aren't deceiving anyone (by sharing info)

by your statements then, half of this forum must be taken down, b/c it gives info on how to modify exhaust, engine, and other parts that makes the cars illegal to drive on the road by DOT standards. maybe you can start by logging out and don't come back. :) wouldn't want you breaking laws now buddy by being in collusion with the rest of us lawbreakers.

Ok kids easy now... any more and someone is going to be put in the time out corner. Bottom line we are sharing info, if you so not agree on what is being said don't post. Second any time someone puts and aftermarket air fresher $.99 pine tree from the rear view mirror someone jumps up and down and says it is illegal. Most of us are big boys and girls and are responsible for what we do and say. This is a car forum not a child molester forum... we should be ok.

Archived