LegacyGT.com

Front Differential Dipstick is Stuck...Help

Kuchar569

I planned to change the front and real differential fluid this weekend in my 2005 Gt 5EAT. Before I pulled the drain plug for the front I figured I better make sure I could pull the dipstick out. Good thing I did because this thing will not come out. It will spin freely in the hole but will not come out no matter how hard I pull on it. I am at a loss for why this is. Anyone have some advice? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

My Front diff. stick is VERY tight too... It will come out but for some reason has to oriented an exact way, like it's keyed or something. Try getting it parallel to the firewall and wiggling it back and forth while pulling...this usually works for me.

my .02...

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...
The dipstick tube/spout will come out. Although not threaded, I kept turning the broken dipstick and the tube turned with it. I turned continuously counter clockwise until it came out. After removing it I was able to get the dipstick out by thrusting the stick part down on a solid object while holding it with vise grips. You can't order the tube by itself so be careful. Rust and gunk was the problem. Relieved!!!

• 1 year later...
The dipstick tube/spout will come out. Although not threaded, I kept turning the broken dipstick and the tube turned with it. I turned continuously counter clockwise until it came out. After removing it I was able to get the dipstick out by thrusting the stick part down on a solid object while holding it with vise grips. You can't order the tube by itself so be careful. Rust and gunk was the problem. Relieved!!!

I have run into the same problem changing my diff fluid. I knew it was going to be an issue so I already bought a new dipstick. However, I have broken almost all of the plastic off the top of the disptick trying to get it out.

jhp240 - You said that the spout/tube that houses the dipstick isn't threaded, but you were able to removing it by turn it along with the dipstick. If it's not threaded, how did you get the tube/spout back on?

Thanks.

Like I said I was able to spend the entire tube out with the dip stick, and it's not threaded. I clamped the tube with vise grips and started turning being careful not to squeeze it too tight. I put the tube back in with a rubber mallet. Worked!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I just did mine for the first time on my own (I never did it cause I never had the proper torx or impact guns in case it was stuck. Luckily my brother did and he helped me out doing it.

First, the ring on my dipstick was broken.

Second, it was disgusting on the outside and inside like they didnt even bother cleaning it when they did the service.

Third, the drain bolt 100% took a torq wrench to break the bad boy free and even that took a minute.

Fourth, the gear oil smelt burnt and had very small shavings in it. Idk if that was normal.

Fifth, it took vicegrips for me to get my dipstick out as well.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation on how to clean the buildup from the inside of the dipstick channel?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Archived