Built-in 4-in-1 Card Reader

I/O ports:

Two (2) USB 2.0 ports

One (1) DVI port

Microphone jack

Headphone jack

RJ-45 Ethernet port

$49.99

Western Digital My Passport Essential Portable Hard Drive - 160GB, 2.5", 5400, 2MB, USB 2.0, Yellow

http://images.tigerdirect.com/skuimages/large/W10-8024Y-Main-JH.jpg

Specifications:

Capacity (GB): 160

Interface: USB 2.0

Spindle Speed (RPM): 5400

Average Seek (msec): <12

Access Time: 5.0 ms

Track-to-Track Seek Time (typical read, ms): 2.0

Data Transfer Rate on USB 2.0: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Dimensions: 0.59" x 4.96" x 3.13"

• 2 weeks later...

$184.00

Acer Aspire One 8.9" Mini Laptop

http://www.silmind.com/images/93.jpg

Processor: 1.6 GHz Intel Atom N270

Number of Processors: 1

RAM: 1000 MB

RAM Type: DDR2 SDRAM

Startup Operating System: Windows® XP Home

Expansion Ports: 1 - SD Card Slot

Display Type: WSVGA with CrystalBrite Technology

Viewable Screen Size: 8.9"

Maximum Resolution: 1024 x 600

Hard Drive Size: 120 GB

I'm in the market for a small laptop toy, and this did catch my attention.

I've never heard of the company before ( silmind - not Acer ;) ), though, and the website lacked any kind of third-party verification, so I started to do a little digging:

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=1194893

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?p=17203907

I've got $200 or so to spare, but not $200 to throw away, so I'm being on the cautious side here, and letting this one pass.

But if anyone here can confirm that this is an OK place to buy from, I'd be more than thankful. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I'm in the market for a small laptop toy, and this did catch my attention.

I've never heard of the company before ( silmind - not Acer ;) ), though, and the website lacked any kind of third-party verification, so I started to do a little digging:

I've got $200 or so to spare, but not $200 to throw away, so I'm being on the cautious side here, and letting this one pass.

But if anyone here can confirm that this is an OK place to buy from, I'd be more than thankful. :)

Good info. I read through both the thread. There was alot of speculation and paranoia (which can be healthy some times) but there was also this:

" called ASUS located at 800 Corporate Way, Fremont, CA 94539 USA tel: 510-739-3777 to see if Silmind.com is an authorized dealer and I was told they were. They advised that we should look at the specs carefully as they and other retailers can order a custom version (i.e , a retailer can buy the 900HA with a 80g HD instead of the standard 160g) to bring cost at their price level. Looking at the specs for the Asus 900HA, it matches my current 900HA. With that, I may give Silmind.com a try."

^ I agree, tons of speculation and paranoia - given the price, though, I'd well say that much of the speculation led to the paranoia. :lol:

I'd read that post, too, which was copied to the crossed threads, and that post was much of why I thought the same as several others on that Forum...that I couldn't risk it, but that if others did make a successful purchase, I'd love to know, and would join-in.

Also, just a bit later in the day:

Well I too have been very curious about silmind's ridiculous pricing. I called ASUS myself and was actually told that silmind did not show up on their resellers list but that it doesnt mean they dont have these computers. ASUS advised me that popular companies like newegg and what not are also not authorized dealers but they get their products from authorized dealers. ASUS is supposed to call me back. I went ahead and called Apple also and was advised that silmind did not show up as an authorized reseller. Digging a little deeper on the silmind site if you click "conditions of use" located at the bottom you will find them mentioning a Electronics-store-China.com. I emailed the other site and also received no response and no phone numbers listed at all. If you go to this site you will find identical products+ but at a little higher prices. The silmind phone number under "contact us" is disconnected. I found this site and was super excited but all signs points to bad news so..also I dont know for sure if PayPal would cover this if you did buy a laptop and never received anything...I will post anything new and also ask for information from anyone who has tried placing an order with silmind!

^ From Johnathan1979, posted at 10:26 AM today, in the thread:

I just wish I knew, one way or the other! :lol:

I'd love to save the $50-80 or so over the popular prices, but at the same time, I also don't have the $200 to just throw away..... :redface: To me, it seems like a too-convenient scam, but it's also way too thinly disguised, IMveryHO, to be one.

FWIW, I genuinely hope it's authentic, and that even if I'm not able to get in on this deal, that I get a chance to, in the future, with this company. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ I live by the no-credit rule. :)

And besides, it's not just that, but also the hassle of having to deal with it....I honestly don't have the time in my day. :redface: I know that sounds kooky. :)

^ I live by the no-credit rule. :)

And besides, it's not just that, but also the hassle of having to deal with it....I honestly don't have the time in my day. :redface: I know that sounds kooky. :)

If you can afford to spend more so you don't have to take a chance then good for you.

As for the no credit rule. It all depends on how you use it. We use it for the protection provided by making purchases with a credit card as opposed to using cash, check or ATM Card. We do not use it to delay our payment until payday or until we can afford it.

If you can afford to spend more so you don't have to take a chance then good for you.

^ I try to save where I can, but this is one of those head-scratchers.

If it was from a known source (like tigerdirect, for example), it would've been a no-brainer purchase. It's just that this particular one managed to raise a red-flag, with, apparently, more than just a handful of shoppers.

Just look at these last posts:

:(

As for the no credit rule. It all depends on how you use it. We use it for the protection provided by making purchases with a credit card as opposed to using cash, check or ATM Card. We do not use it to delay our payment until payday or until we can afford it.

And I think that this particular silmind vendor - particularly what one of the participants in the above thread revealed about his/her experience - is a perfect illustration of why such credit protection is a good measure and a smart way to shop.

We've got only one major card, with our primary bank, just for the purposes you stated, a.a. It's a bank where our family has banked with for decades and have a personal relationship, so they know us, and indeed, we do use our card for convenience (and safety) only.

But with this kind of a purchase, I'd rather that it just be done with, instead of having to worry about it, as what that one slickdeals Forum participant had to experience.

:)

Keep the deals comin', bruddah. My next purchase off this thread will be my fourth, and I haven't been disappointed, yet. :) Search out a good (and cheap) datalogging laptop for me! :D

Edited by TSi+WRX

^

Keep the deals comin', bruddah. My next purchase off this thread will be my fourth, and I haven't been disappointed, yet. :) Search out a good (and cheap) datalogging laptop for me! :D

Do you want it to be a small laptop (netbook)??? Or are you more focused on as much processing power and ram as possible?

CLearlly you do not need a big monitor or powerful graphics card for datalogging.

Do you want it to be a small laptop (netbook)??? Or are you more focused on as much processing power and ram as possible?

CLearlly you do not need a big monitor or powerful graphics card for datalogging.

I am in the same scene as Allen. I want (not need) a netbook. Would love an Acer 8.9" but have been advised the 10" is worth the extra dough but it is about $100 more.

Looking just to do e-mail and surf...portable and light...any thought?

Rehab is for quitters.