LegacyGT.com

OBD II Error Code P1505

Yahiko81

I just bought this 01 legacy back in august, it had 94k miles on it, and now it's up to about 97k. It's a 2.5l 5 speed. Lately when I start it up in the mornings it will idle funny sometimes it jumps up to 3k rpm just idleing and then drops back down to below 1k. My check engine light came on when i first had it. So I picked up an OBDII reader and it was the P0420. Had a friend tell me that catalytic converter might still be under warranty so call a dealer. I did and they said no it was only 80k, but it could have come on due to a climate change. So i just cleared it out and it hasn't come back. I've been told changing my spark plugs, wires, and coil pack will probably solve the problem. I was just curious if anyone on here had seen this before. I'm a novice at car repair, but I don't mind giving it a go. Also is there anything else I should be doing/replacing at 100k?

Don't be so quick to jump to plugs and wires. As you've already said it only happens when you first start up the car, if it were the ignition it would more then likely be a constant problem.

DTC P1505 stands for Idle Control Circuit high input. What this means (to me being a student, who just so happens to be pretty good at diagnosis, so it may not be exactly right) is that for some reason the IAC (Idle Air Control valve) is opening up to much and letting in to much air causing a rough high idle.

Do you happen to have any experience with a DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter)?

Yeah, I can work a volt meter. I went ahead and changed plugs and wires, because the car was due. One of my plugs was so loose in the socket that I could take it off by hand. They were worn down and ready to be changed. I'm gonna sound like a complete noob here, but I'm pretty sure these cars don't have a distributor cap. The thing that the other end of the wires plug into :D. Well 2 of the four posts were good, one had green corrosion and the other was black from where the wire started to melt. I went ahead and sanded it clean and put my new wires on. I'm planning on replacing that part as soon as I figure out what it's called. I can hear it now, this guy has no place under the hood. :p Car runs good. The idling problem seems to have gone away, but it was intermittent so i'm reserving judgement till I've driven it for a week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
i JUST had this problem in my 99 legacy L, i checked my idle sensor with a volt meter it was fine, new plugs and wires didnt fix it, but the new coil did, swapped it out and it stopped idling rough, hooked up my scan tool and cleared the code and my check engine light hasnt come on since

Archived