LegacyGT.com

We need a sticky thread for clutches?

BIU

Anyone think we need a sticky thread for clutches?

Lets just say im not too bright when it comes to clutches... All i know is while my car was at Subaru getting 5th gear syncros warrantied the service manager told me that my clutch is really worn and that it should be replaced.....only will be getting another 5000km out of it..... My car is at 40000km and i never race it or drag it...no launches.... its my 3rd manual car so i know what im doing and i dont abuse it whatsoever...... im at stage 1 and i find it odd that the stock clutch is going already?! i will be eventually going to stage 2 and thats where i'll stay probably...

I have lots of questions so bare with me as i have searched and i cannot fully digest the info as i dont have the background knowledge towards a clutch assembly.

So this is my situation:

1) Currently at stage 1, eventually will be going to stage 2

2) I DONT race or drag my car... no launches either

I need to find a replacement clutch that is:

1) wallet friendly

2) close to stock feel

3) handles stage 2 power

4) has a good long life

Can anyone give me some suggestions as im really lost right now... would i need to buy flywheel as well? throw out bearing?

Thanks!

Pretty much most stage 1 clutches will hold about 285 torque......

Im gonna eventually go stage 2 and end up with about 300ish torque...

Is it too far stretched for a stage 1 clutch to handle it or is it better off for me to go straight for a stage 2 clutch?

i am not getting this.

I searched under tranny forum and typed in aftermarket clutch and pulled up a shit load of stuff. I cant do the reading for you though.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3430419

THis topic has been covered a million times. i know because i thought that at one time mine was going out but turned out it wasnt. I learned alot just by reading.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

You sure about that?

1) I bought my car used ... previous owner put 20000kms on it...

2) the 5th gear syncro problem existed when i bought the car and it has also been a common factory defect from subaru if you search it has happened to handfuls of owners

3) I dont have to prove to you or anyone whether i know how to drive or not

Have a good day :)

also what makes you think your tranny/clutch is going. What problems?

Dealer called me this morning when they had the tranny apart and recommended me to get a new clutch as the material is pretty worn out.....they figure another 5000kms on it or so...

i am not getting this.

I searched under tranny forum and typed in aftermarket clutch and pulled up a shit load of stuff. I cant do the reading for you though.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3430419

THis topic has been covered a million times. i know because i thought that at one time mine was going out but turned out it wasnt. I learned alot just by reading.

I've read alot... but with my limited knowledge i just wanted to make sure... thanks for the headsup :)

As i said, i'll be going stage 2...i dont drag or race.... i was just wondering if i could get away using stage 1 kits or should i just get stage 2 kits...

I just want a clutch that will handle the stage 2 torque, have close to stock pedal feel and of course the main thing.... longevity....

there are folks out here getting away with using stock clutch on stage II. so thats not the question.

One way to test the clutch is go down the road. Get the MPH at about 35MPH while in 5th and WOT it. Floor it. if it slips then you are needing a clutch and you better baby the clutch. if it does not then i think your dealers need some money for there mods.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

Archived