LegacyGT.com

Restrictor Pill Sizes for Bleed Type Boost Control

mickeyd2005

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not yet, although I intend to play with a pill soon after reading that thread.

I have a few days left before I can once again drop the hammer. I got my IPT 5EAT/TC back in Wednesday and have 200EASYmi on it. All is great and I should be able to resume tuning my AVO380 that was truncated over a month ago.

Nevertheless, there is no question about the Prodrive BCS although exactly the BEST setup with it may not as yet be known given your findings.

Im anxious to explore the results of a pill although it flies in the face of my thinking when I devised my BCS installation. I purposfully chose a larger hose from the compressor to the BCS so that there would be minimum supply resistance, and a smaller hose from the BCS to the WGA to minimize compression losses. Adding a pill INCREASES supply resistance. However, since my present BCS WGDC table's 'shape' is roughly similar to my smaller-pill WGDC table on the VF40, etc., I want to investigate further. I had found that while the smaller pill gave me the WGDC headroom I wanted on the VF40 it introduced some boost control problems I didn't like as well. That experimentation ended when I got the 380.

This should be interesting. Have you done any further testing? If so, what orifice did you use and what were the results.

One more thread that will be lost because We Don't Have a Tuning Forum :spin:. ........................

I am just using the OEM restrictor pill. For now I am still running on WG spring value only as it is slippery and cold. FWIW I hit 295 g/s at 14.5 psi the other day! In March (most likely) my tuning will resume. I have learned a bit about posting pics, using excell, etc, so I will be able to better communicate with graphs and such my findings.

If my WGDC is very low with the OEM restrictor pill I will definitely not get a smaller one.

I hear ya on the tuning forum.

+1 for a 0% WGDC log when you get one.

mickeyd2005

SeeeYa, do you have a log with WGDC = 0. IIRC, we talked about checking your boost first with that setting.

Mickey, I am chagrined to admit that although your influence is spread throughout my tuning that during the tumult of the events unfolding at the time of my turbo install that my first logs did not include WGDC.

Within the first week I had to remove and reinstall my turbo several times due to clearance issues with the AVCS mechanisms, a torn turbo inlet, and installation of TGV deletes among other things. Getting my basic tune to cover the TGV deletes was a hurdle. Solving new vacuum line failures, dealing with atrocious winter weather, and a failing transmission forced me to condense my planned course of tuning into a few days just to ensure all was safe and driveable.

Looking at those few, very few, early logs I find I didn't log WGDC, which I normally don't. At the time I was so pressed with time and circumstances that experimentation was condensed to basic working elements melded into my initial tune and massaged by necessity. It worked, long and well enough to finish off my transmission. All in all I had a precious few days between a reliable installation and the failure of the tranny. Most of my 'tuning' was done on my laptop and in my head, a few logs verified I was on the right track.

As I said, I'll soon know more. I'll get 0 WGDC logs, and I'll experiment with a pill. How else will I find the edges :).

Sometimes I wonder if I enjoy driving more, or experimenting more. I don't think I've ever been satisfied with a car's performance, or content with things 'just the way they are,' ever. But I am getting closer. This AVO380 setup comprised of a few readily available ingredients has produced a car so capable it promises what I have long looked for in a car.

Mickey, I am chagrined to admit that although your influence is spread throughout my tuning that during the tumult of the events unfolding at the time of my turbo install that my first logs did not include WGDC.

Within the first week I had to remove and reinstall my turbo several times due to clearance issues with the AVCS mechanisms, a torn turbo inlet, and installation of TGV deletes among other things. Getting my basic tune to cover the TGV deletes was a hurdle. Solving new vacuum line failures, dealing with atrocious winter weather, and a failing transmission forced me to condense my planned course of tuning into a few days just to ensure all was safe and driveable.

Looking at those few, very few, early logs I find I didn't log WGDC, which I normally don't. At the time I was so pressed with time and circumstances that experimentation was condensed to basic working elements melded into my initial tune and massaged by necessity. It worked, long and well enough to finish off my transmission. All in all I had a precious few days between a reliable installation and the failure of the tranny. Most of my 'tuning' was done on my laptop and in my head, a few logs verified I was on the right track.

As I said, I'll soon know more. I'll get 0 WGDC logs, and I'll experiment with a pill. How else will I find the edges :).

Sometimes I wonder if I enjoy driving more, or experimenting more. I don't think I've ever been satisfied with a car's performance, or content with things 'just the way they are,' ever. But I am getting closer. This AVO380 setup comprised of a few readily available ingredients has produced a car so capable it promises what I have long looked for in a car.

Sometimes I think you are writing a novel.:lol: But I still like you.:wub:

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know the orfice size of Vishnu's "Passive Boost Solenoid Emulator" or restrictor pill for their 300HP upgrade for our cars?

http://www.vishnutuning.com/legacy.htm

Do we have any dyno claims to back up their 300 (crank I'm assuming) HP?

Spec_b

Cobb Stage II @ 18.2psi, K&N Typhoon, Shifter Bushings, waiting to install Perrin TMIC, Hawk Street Pads

While I have you experts...

I have an AVO actuator on a VF40 18G (TDC) with stock restrictor pill. I tightened the actuator arm some to help prevent flutter and perhaps hold a little more boost at high rpms. It's not creeping, but, though I've since loosened it some, it was hitting about 20 psi. My question is: should I be able to tune this down with the stock solenoid, or, will I need a prodrive, or, is it simply too tight?

Wish I had a good vf40 18G map to play around with...unfortunately, my TDC maps are proprietary so I can't fiddle with them.

Yes you just need access to the tables; A new TDC map or StreetTuner/ OpenECU will give you this.

Yup, FWIW when I was running my vf40/18g with a deadbolt 15psi actuator I was peaking at 19 psi and holding 15psi at redline all with the WGDC tables zero'd out. When it goes back on the car I'll be using a stock actuator.

Valid, but it shouldn't curve that much; especially on a stock pill.

It could be that the actuator is a 16 psi or 17 psi actuator and the reason the boost drops to 15 psi at redline is due to the exhaust pressure pushing the door open. That's usually what I see with MBC controlled turbos. The pressure drops at redline due to the exhaust pressure combining with the actuator pressure to push the door open. That's why a lot of MBC controlled turbos will have a tapered boost whether you want it to or not.

Take a look at LBGT's AVO380 with stock restrictor pill at zero percent WGDC. Only look at the blue line. You can see that the actuator is set at 10 psi because at that point the slope changes. The door is starting to open. However, boost keeps creeping all the way up to 13 psi. So, a stock restrictor pill can cause 3 psi of creep at midrange.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/littlebluegt/boostspike.jpg

• 3 months later...
So, a stock restrictor pill can cause 3 psi of creep at midrange.

I don't think a pill will cause any boost creep, at least not at 0% WGDC. It is the relationship of the engine to the turbo that does.

How could it? Pressure will build up just as high after the pill as before it (again assuming 0% WGDC) and open the WG just as much. Possibly one could argue a slight (like 50 ms or less) delay, but that is really inconsequential.

FWIW my logs showed the same amount of creep before and after the pill at 0% WGDC.

• 1 month later...
what exactly does the restrictor pill do? If im going to get a pro-tune stage 1, should I have my pill changed so I can have more aggressive boost?

The answer to your first question.

http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/images/HowSubaruFactoryBoostControlSystemWorksv109.pdf

The answer to your second question is NO.

Edited by SeeeeeYa

• 2 months later...