LegacyGT.com

Anyone switch to 5EAT from a 5MT and love it?

Siper2

Hey all. :) I'm shopping around for LGT wagons, and have found a couple I liked. I'm talking with an owner right now, who has a very nice '05 5EAT.

Thing is, I'm a manual transmission guy. I love them, always have. It's my first choice. However, I wonder about a couple of things... For one, this particular car is beautiful, I mean meticulous. I mentioned that I prefer a manual, and the owner agrees. He wanted a manual, but didn't like Subaru's 5MT and liked the sport shift automatic.

I've test driven a 5EAT or two with my wife, and we thought they were fun. I'm just wondering how they are every day. Can you still get a lot out of the EJ255 with the automatic?

Personally, I don't think any modern automatic, save for maybe Audi DSG or Ferrari, will be "as good" as a stick. On the other hand, I feel that manuals will be a thing of the past, soon enough. Sportshift autos are advancing quickly, and soon will accomplish all but the nostalgia of a manual.

So... I dunno. :) I'd miss the occasional heel-and-toe, some of the winter-weather benefit, and the power maximizing of a manual. Still, the 5EAT seems like it can maximize power pretty well!

Looking for some owner experiences and feedback. :)

=S2=

Guest heightsgtltd

I have a 5eat and really love it. It isnt a manual, but its fun to drive, and you can mod to your hearts content just like with the 5speed.

The key to this auto aside from the sportshift, is to remember that it is a boosted 4, and not an 8. So you cant stomp on the go pedal. Use it lightly and you will have your neck snapped back ;)

That being said, if you are really a manual tranny guy, then you might want to wait and find a 5speed. There are plenty of guys selling them on here in great condition.

Well, I've always owned manuals. I'm 31, and my '00 2.5RS is my fifth car. All but one have been manuals--the other one was free, so I didn't care. :D

I love to shift, but I also like automatics sometimes. Traffic, road trips, day-to-day life. I mean I do appreciate them, for sure. My car is a street/commuting car 95% of the time. I love to autocross, but the last time I did it was 2001.

So I wondered if NOT considering an automatic, was halving my options. :)

That's why I wanted to hear about the 5EAT! My wife has an '01 Outback LL Bean, which is of course an H-6 and a 4EAT. Seems to be a decent tranny, but it's a plain-jane automatic with no sportshift. So, a totally different bird. I like to modify, but I stick to Subaru parts whenever possible. Like the STi suspension on my RS, which I got in '01. With the LGT, definitely a JDM grille, and later on it might be a spec.B suspension of some sort, and maybe a ver.2 SPT catback with lengthened tips to fit the wagon. That's what I like, though.

Guest heightsgtltd

So I can tell you this, the 5eat is light years better than the 4eat. The 4eat with a turbo engine is a dog.

There are plenty of us 5eat guys on here who are really happy with them :)

If you feel that you are good with moving to auto, then do it! :cool:

That's the trick, not sure! :D I think I'd like it, and have heard a few good things about 5EATs here and there, but since it's not usually in my "circle" of threads/posts, I never paid much attention.

Thanks for the feedback, will wait on some others too.

I've got the Race mount going in mine shortly. Others have used it and say it made a nice difference. I was a manual trans guy before and I don't regret not having to deal with stinky clutchs/burnt out clutchs. My car is fast and consitent at the track and its still fun to drive. The 5eat does take away a little of the driving experience but its not that bad.

Cool, thanks. :) I think, insofar as the tranny mount, I'll stick with the Comfort. Probably take away enough of the stock issue, for me. I mean, I have STi Group N engine/tranny/pitch mounts in my RS, but in a car like an LGT, at least for me, that'd be too much.

But of course I've been around the Subaru community for seven and a half years, so I've got the mod bug pretty bad. :lol:

Guest heightsgtltd

Again, the lag feeling I think has alot to do with people not thinking about the displacement and engine of this car.

If you are gentle with your pedal, you will rocket off. If you stomp on it, there will be a hesitation.

From a performance perspective, I wasn't super crazy about the 5EAT especially since my last few cars were MT, but I got the 5EAT since I do a lot of stop and go driving in traffic. I had the IPT valve body (VB) mdofication done, which speeds up the shifts and increases line pressure. The VB transformed the shifting, I am really happy with the transmission now.

I think alot of it is what kind of traffic you drive. I was stationed in Northern VA with a stick, never again. All auto's after that. I am happy with my 5eat.

Never understood traffic argument. Is there something else people need to do in traffic or they do not know how drive MT properly?

The key to this auto aside from the sportshift, is to remember that it is a boosted 4, and not an 8. So you cant stomp on the go pedal. Use it lightly and you will have your neck snapped back ;)

I did that from a stop in a turbo baja.. I don't understand what you mean since it had sportshift as well.. took off pretty hard.

Never understood traffic argument. Is there something else people need to do in traffic or they do not know how drive MT properly?

No clue :-/ I drove a 05 Legacy wagon with a 5MT in stop and go and I did not think anything of it really.. if it was not for me reaching to shift it would of felt like a auto but quicker revving.

i've owned 8 vehicles. all but 3 were MT. my last car before the LGT was a 6MT. I've owned my 5EAT for 2.5 years, longer than any other car. I love it! I plan on switching out to a new STI Hatch, however if there was a 6EAT option available for it, i'd buy that. sure, the MT is fun and you can max your potential easier, however, having a kickass 5EAT that blows away a lot of the MT guys, is just priceless. I love having a modded 5EAT. :D
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

its the hassle of the constant 1-2-1-n shift in traffic.

plus when u get tired, u tend to make smelly clutch from revving too high and not letting the clutch out enough.

Oh, one thing I'm considering is the RalliTEK "Comfort" trans. mount bushing.

http://www.rallitek.com/trmoautr.html

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-49187380673845_1969_8157401

Heard good things about them, so far.

QFT!! Just got mine installed today and it f'ning kicks ass!

Check out my forum post in the PacNW forums here : http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73305

It is just much more of a hastle to keep shifting when you are in traffic forever. It moves 5 feet and it is much nicer in an auto to do that. Just a convenience I guess, but a nice one. I do know had to drive a stick, first car was a stick, and many others were. But I grew up in Missouri with no traffic problem. Since the Army moves me all over, I never know where I will be and I really prefer the ease of an auto. That is all.

QFT!! Just got mine installed today and it f'ning kicks ass!

Check out my forum post in the PacNW forums here : http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73305

Saw it. :) Was the install difficult?

Thanks for the continued feedback, folks. I see the IPT VB mod for $649, but I suppose need to check out a tech thread or two. I don't even know what a valve body is. :D

We've got one of each, the wagon is the MT and the sedan in the AT. The AT lag is nearly nonexistent if you are light on the take-off, it's a reverse-thinking trick. We changed from a nonturboed AT wagon because it became obvious the AT wasn't handling loads on the mountain roads very well, so that's the biggest issue I'd consider. The MT is a better mechanical match for a loaded vehicle. I've had 5 adults in the sedan and that sucked. I've had four adults in the wagon going up a 3-mile, steep, gravel grade and that was fine. I've always liked MT but this AT with the sportshift (for winter) is a wonderous thing.

Saw it. :) Was the install difficult?

Thanks for the continued feedback, folks. I see the IPT VB mod for $649, but I suppose need to check out a tech thread or two. I don't even know what a valve body is. :D

i have it. anyone with a 5EAT who plans to do stg 2.5+ should get it done. makes all the difference! My car would suck otherwise. and i've hauled ass with 5 people in my car no problem. use the manual shift or sport shift if you really feel the need. with the VB upgrade and tranny cooler, i can launch the car at 18 psi boost, get all 4 wheels chirping and heading down the lane sideways. :D my tech can get it doing things that have me holding onto the handle and screaming OMFGDOITAGAIN!!!!

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Archived