LegacyGT.com

Question for 5MT onwers

1-3-2-4

I only ask because my forester was a 4EAT and sometimes I'd find myself going into 3rd sometimes.

and it's possible to not stall the car in 3rd gear?? Back when I worked for a Subaru dealer I drove then a new 05 Legacy wagon back to the dealer and I was fine in the stop and go traffic (it was a 5MT) but when I got off the road and went up two lights I could not get the car back into first so I had to start in 2nd It was so notchy.. but I'm hoping a used LGT wont feel as bad as that.. and like others said it was hard to tell when the clutch grab point was.

Even in my old FWD cars I never hesitated to start in 1st in the Colorado snow/ice storms.

You just have to be careful of how you're engaging the clutch. A lot of the times it's easier to just engage the clutch so you don't burn it, then you can start to slowly gain speed.

A friend of mine used to burn his clutch until he was hitting 10mph. Needless to say, he replaced his clutch after 10,000 miles. :rolleyes:

Even in my old FWD cars I never hesitated to start in 1st in the Colorado snow/ice storms.

You just have to be careful of how you're engaging the clutch. A lot of the times it's easier to just engage the clutch so you don't burn it, then you can start to slowly gain speed.

A friend of mine used to burn his clutch until he was hitting 10mph. Needless to say, he replaced his clutch after 10,000 miles. :rolleyes:

well I just hope it wont be that bad this year..

As someone who has grown up and lived in snow most of my life, I've only ever started in 2nd for traction in automatics.

With a manual, I just always start in first and use the pedals by my feet to find traction and modulate wheel spin.

Its really all about how you engage the clutch and speed up in the snow. As long as you gently ease into throttle from a stop you will have no problem getting traction in 1st, but obviously if you are giving your ride heavy throttle off the line or even moderate throttle you will struggle to get traction off the line. Stock tires suck in the snow, if you are still rolling on those and you have to worry about a decent amount of snow I would find a different set of rubber. I rolled on stock tires through a month of colorado winter last year, before I threw in the towel on the stock tires.

1st always. And if the surface is slippery enough I will cheerfully spin 'em until 2nd, just for grins.

I have seen stuck 2WD cars and pickups with open differentials were effectively reduced to one-wheel-drive just because of a slippery surface (and maybe one wheel was in a depression or something). If I were ever in that situation I guess I'd try 2nd to see if it would help. It's never happened to me though.

1st always. And if the surface is slippery enough I will cheerfully spin 'em until 2nd, just for grins.

I have seen stuck 2WD cars and pickups with open differentials were effectively reduced to one-wheel-drive just because of a slippery surface (and maybe one wheel was in a depression or something). If I were ever in that situation I guess I'd try 2nd to see if it would help. It's never happened to me though.

Turning wheels rapidly from left to right usually gets me out of that situation.

Sort of an old 4wheeling trick I guess, but it has worked for me.

Depends. In heavy and or slushy snow where there is more wheel spin to begin with I usually engage in first briefly and go right to second but have had other situations where I have gone right to second from a stop.

lol ^ how can you spin it like hell? 1st gear tops out like around 20-25 Mph?

Have you driven your car in the snow yet??? I went to the high school parking lot one day it snowed......I was doing rally drifts in circles around the parking lot for a half hour, using third gear. Man that was a blast!!!:spin:

Archived