LegacyGT.com

4EAT for a 96 Legacy (2.2)

Blueb3

Been all over the web, and thought I should post here as well. There is a bunch of reading involved, or you can skip to the last paragraph for the latest bit of info.

Here's my story and I'm sticking to it.

While accelerating onto the freeway in my 96 Legacy L wagon w/ AWD I was doing ~65 when the engine felt like it over-revved for about 1 second, then, the car shut off. Freaking out, I instantly popped it into nuetral while getting off the road. At about 45 mph (still coasting in Nuetral) I started the car back up. Started on the first try, so I thought maybe since I was low on fuel that it became gas starved and cut out (wishful thinking) I then pulled the shifter back to "D" and rolled onto the the throttle. Nothing happened except the engine revving. It acted like it was still in Nuetral. I came to a full stop, put the car in park, and rowed through the shifter, nothing caught; no reverse, no forward gears. Turned off the car, banged my head on the steering wheel for a minute or 5 and restarted and tried again. Still nothing.

Took it into the shop, *finally* and they cannot get the torque converter out, AT ALL! And state that they cannot split the transmission case without destroying it? :confused: So they can't tell me what else might be wrong with my tranny. Their solution to this wonderful dilemma? Charge me $2400 to put another rebuilt tranny in that they have at the shop. http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif That's right $ 2 4 0 0 !! WTF!! I about fell out of my chair when he told me.

Now my question to you experts is this. What other options do I have here? No one can locate an auto tranny for a 2.2. Can I use a different trannsmission (provided I get a matching rear diff?) And what transmissions can I use? Anything from a legacy? Can I use a JDM transmission? Can I use a tranny from the 2.0 twin turbo with the matching rear diff that has the LSD? (which might be a great option due to the fact that they are cheap, and plentiful on e-bay)

Cliffnotes: Auto tranny is borked, shop says it can't even work on my tranny due to stuck torque converter, wants to charge me $2400 for a rebuild transmission that they miraculously have on a shelf. Looking for alternatives.

i'm not sure, but i do know a few people who've sent their tranny off to a shop and had it rebuilt (like IPT- but we're talking race tranny). considering it would cost me approx $8000 to replace my tranny and block including labor, $2400 sounds about right. call around to other shops and see what they might have, or look at some of the junk yards. someone may have a tranny that's cheaper.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Holy crap $2400!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could have made a good bit of $$ for the engine and trans I sold a few months ago (I sold the 2.5L engine and 4EAT out of my '96 project GT for $600 total). Have you tried the Nasioc.com Classifieds legacy section? Pretty much any 4EAT trans will bolt up. That price is ridiculous and you should definitely do some junkyard searching

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Yes, that includes the installation, and him knocking a coulple hundred off because of how long it took them to get to my car. I've been calling around trying to find another 2.2 tranny, but they seem to be a mythical creature. That's why I was wondering about the possibility of swapping out a different one (2.5 or 2.0)

From what I've been told, any ej series engine will bolt up to any ej series tranny. Strangely enough though, the 96 2.2 had two different choices for auto tranny's and I'm told that they are different in some ways, but no one seems to know what they are.

Yeah, just covering all my bases. As far as the tranny goes, I just bit the bullet and worked a deal down to $1800 for everything. seeing as I would have had to pay the shop $500 just to pull my car out if I wanted to take it to another shop. Now I know if this ever happens again.

Archived