LegacyGT.com

Yes or No for self service.

BLKGT5

Clutch Service  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Clutch Service

• Pay $400 for local shop to install clutch?
    • Use $400 for downpipe and risk installing a clutch for the first time?

Suggestions.

Should I consider a clutch replacement myself?

I've disassembled and modified engines down to the block, but I have no crank and piston experience. I've done everything else, but I have very limited transmission experience.

I want to save money from the labor and use it for more parts like a down pipe, instead of wasting. ($400.00)

I'm wanting to install a ACT lightweight flywheel and heavy duty pressure plate with a street disc.

Will I need new flywheel bolts or do they come with the flywheel?

Any special tools I should invest in for this job?

I say do it yourself and learn something. When do you want to do it?

I agree with him^^^^ If your mechanicly inclined and have a decent set of tools

it is not extremely difficult. Acess to a lift would make it 75% easier. You will need

a disk alignment tool.

You also should plan on alternate transportation as it could take you a while doing one on your back. I'd also recomend having a helper when you pull the transaxle down.

Just be carefull and make sure you have the car securely on jack stands!!

I could not have paid for the mods that I have so far if I had to pay for installs. A clutch and flywheel is a tough DIY job, but not too tough if you have a helper. You can rent a trans jack and jack stands are pretty cheap.

Mods I've done in my driveway:

iOn Sport springs

Koni Struts

Whiteline Front/Rear Sway Bars

AVO RSB bracket

Whiteline Roll Center Kit

LCA Super Pro Bushings

Goodridge Brake Lines

DBA 4000 Rotors

Hawk Brake Pads

So far I've paid $20.00 to have the LCA bushings pressed out/in and $59.95 for a 4 wheel alignment.:)

I was quoted $1185.00 for the rest of the installs.:eek:

$400 seems not much for clutch job

$400.00 is CHEAP for a shop to do a clutch. At least around here.

But, I think his point was that it's either pay for the install or do it himself and buy a downpipe with the money.

I did my mods myself so I could afford more mods right away. It's all part of the sickness.

More mods = Desire for MORE MODS

He will also need the TorxPlus bit to remove the flywheel bolts. It's a toss up on the labor. If you have nothing better to do with your time and have a place to park it indoors for a couple days; then go for it. I've done way too many clutches on the floor in my garage in the past couple years and just didn't want to wrestle another one; so I paid the dealership $550 to do mine a week ago.

The job is pretty straight forward to do; it just takes time and an extra set of hands when seperating the tranny and re-aligning the input shaft when you put it back together. It's a great learning experience if you've never done one, just make sure that you have everything you need before you start. It sucks to get halfway done and then have to wait a week for a part or tool to finish the job; especially if it's your only ride.

Let's kick this pig!

A good grave marker will set you back more than $400 once that trans falls on you and crushes your chest or head. DIY is s good thing to a certain point. Eventally you are money and time ahead by letting a professional do certain jobs.
It is still ugly.

he even chocked the wheels! 2 2x4's are plenty to hold up a car

Those are 4X4's so they clearly exceed OSHA standards.:lol:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Thanks all the replies. :spin: I was leaning towards DIY until the comment about the tranny falling on my chest :eek: Well I guess it now depends on how long I can borrow a car.

I'll update on how good the ACT setup is once it's done.

Thanks all the replies. :spin: I was leaning towards DIY until the comment about the tranny falling on my chest :eek: Well I guess it now depends on how long I can borrow a car.

I'll update on how good the ACT setup is once it's done.

its doable but the question is it worth it. at a shop you will be back on the road by the end of the day. DIY who knows?

I dropped my car after hours on Tuesday night and picked it back up early Thursday. I just took in the sealed clutch pack and sealed flywheel along with a list of options for the tech should any issues arrive. I stated that they should check the rear main seal(and replace if needed) while the flywheel was off, replace flywheel bolts if needed(could substitute WRX/STI bolts) and to remove the Perrin LW Crank Pully if needed after startup if it wouldn't idle, but DON'T touch the ECU no matter what. This way anything that could stop the intall process was covered beforehand and wouldn't require them to call me for answers.
Let's kick this pig!

Clutch installs are not hard, but you really have some knowledge in that area about how everything works. It always helps to know how the components mesh together before doing anything.

Personally I would have a shop install a new clutch. Most any shop will warranty their work, and some offer lifetime warranties on their work; however, a friend of mine had a few troubles getting a shop to recognize their warranty. They decided it would be easier to blame the manufacturer, rather than their work.

Archived