LegacyGT.com

Stupid question ... I hope

dease42

Ok, this might be a very stupid question, but it's got me a little concerned. I hope I'm wrong, and it's nothing, but I figured this would be the best place to find out.

My experience with 4-wheel drive vehicles, before owning a leggy, was restricted to trucks and tractors. However, in those cases where I've worked on full-time 4-wheel drive vehicles, if you jacked up the back of the vehicle, and spun the rear wheels, they don't move..just like the front ones in a front-wheel drive car (assuming you're not in nuetral).

Well, last weekend I replaced the brake pads on my 2005 legacy 2.5i, and I noticed when I jacked up the back of the car, the rear wheels spun freely. The car is an A/T, and it was in park, and the parking brake was NOT engaged.

Now if this is a feature of Subaru's AWD (as in, it only engages when the car is moving or something), then fantastic. But I've read that it's possible to convert the AWD to FWD, and I just want to verify that didn't happen to my car.

If this is a stupid question, I welcome your derision :rolleyes:, I probably deserve it. If it's not, and I should be worried, does anyone know what my options are? I bought the car 1 1/2 years ago, am I just SOL?

Thanks

EDIT - I think I may just be describing the parked behaviour of a limited slip rear-diff, is that right?

i belive the 4eat is very much so fwd based. but i think you may have been working the diferential. ie turning one wheel one way makes the other turn the opisit direction. i have a 5mt gt which has limited slip in the rear. so trying to turn one rear wheel can be done but requires mucho effort! (feals like it wont turn, but with enough force it will). now the front is an open diff. so with both wheels off the ground and the car in gear i canfreely turn the front wheels. there is a limited slip center diff as well. so say i manage to ... well whatever i go... i can turn the front 2 weels independant of the rear but with resistance.

search teh forums for vacation pics. downlaod them and unzip them. trust me.

Archived