LegacyGT.com

Stiff reverse question

Zed 2.0

Hey, folks-

My '08 GT has a reverse gear that's very difficult to get into, like many other LGTs. The manual says that the solution is to shift into first or third, then reverse.

Does this mean simply moving the shifter into first while the clutch is disengaged, or actually engaging the clutch and moving slightly in first?

My reverse gear is sometimes so stiff that shifting into first or third with the clutch disengaged does nothing, and I actually have to slip the clutch a little in a forward gear to get the synchros to line up. This is pretty crappy for a brand new car, and I'm wondering if it's an indicator of something wrong.

My question is that it seems there are two ways to do this:

1) Disengage the clutch (press down on the pedal), shift into first, try to shift into reverse.

2) Disengage the clutch, shift into first, release the pedal slightly and slip the clutch a bit, disengage the clutch, shift into reverse.

I occasionally have to go with #2 to get my car into reverse. I'm not sure what having the car off has to do with it?

Mine did this about half the time when trying to engage reverse. It happens less often now.

I've found you don't have to engage first. If it won't go into reverse, just put the shifter back to neutral and briefly let out the clutch (to turn the tranny's input shaft) and push in the clutch and try again.

The only time you'd want to engage a forward gear is if you need to get into reverse in a hurry and want to use the forward gear synchros to stop the transmission input shaft from spinning (assuming you're fully stopped).

• 2 weeks later...
My LGT was doin the same thing and it was grinding the reverse gear as well. I replaced the clutch and throw out bearing and it seemed to help a bit. I think the dealer told me that that was a signed of throw out bearing problems. It still does it a bit, but I usually drive the car forward an inch to line the gears up properly then put it in reverse and it usually slides right in after that. Im not an expert but thats what works for me.

It happens on my Legacy and on my old beater 98' 200sx SE. Just push clutch pedal to the floor, shift to first, then shift to reverse, and itll slide in perfectly and your ready to go. Im used to it anyways so its no big deal for me.

It happens on my Legacy and on my old beater 98' 200sx SE. Just push clutch pedal to the floor, shift to first, then shift to reverse, and itll slide in perfectly and your ready to go. Im used to it anyways so its no big deal for me.

+1, same here

extreme case I will have to move forward an inch then she'll go right into reverse.

Oh yeah, and my jeep does the same thing.

Archived