LegacyGT.com

Clutch went out yesterday HELP!

Stewy612

Hey guys,

Well yesterday while trying to limp the car home the pedal finally hit the floor and squeals sounded as my clutch took its last dying breath! I got 62k out of it though!

anyways, im gonna upgrade to the ACT street clutch, but i cant seem to find what everyones opinions are on our flywheels...should i get rid of it or is it ok?

thanks!

-Stewy

It can't really be turned or resurfaced and has to be replaced so you can either order a new stock one, get a standard weight aftermarket one or a lightweight. I just had a Spec Stage2 clutch pack and a Spec LW FW installed this week and so far I love it. I haven't been able to "test" it yet since there is a 500 mile break in period, but I think it's going to be great.
Let's kick this pig!

If your getting the ACT clutch then you need will need to use a single mass flywheel...ours is dual mass. The kit is for the '06+ WRX but fits the '05+LGT. You can pick up the ACT flywheel or an OEM '06+ WRX flywheel. Either will work. My vote would be OEM to reduce the risk of chatter from the extremely light ACT flywheel.

SPEC has a specific set ups for the LGT which are meant to be used with a dual mass flywheel like our stocker. You can use theirs or a new OEM. With 62K on your car, don't try and salvage your existing one. Get a new one.

BTW...ACT combo will run you about $800-850, while the SPEC 2 or 2+ w/Fly will run you $950-1150.

.....if you have a Subaru Master Card and are earning Subie Bucks....you could purchase the OEM fly with them...basically "free"

Do a search...plenty of reviews.

wait the factory clutch is shot after 60k

thats disapointing that means i only have 20k left till a new one :mad:

Mine started slipping at just over 36K and was done by 40K. It really depends on how you drive it and what mods you have on the car. You'll know when it going because it will start to slip in the middle of the gear or it won't grab at all when you down shift at high RPMs or try to take off fast.;)

Let's kick this pig!

You need to have the throw-out bearing replaced, pilot bearing, and the clutch disc and pressure plate .. just get the kit from King of Parts if you are going stock ... fyi, there is a chance you might need a new flywheel too .. I did.

sooooo....took the transmission down and.....

there's a metal piece between the release bearing and the transmission case that exploded...there's metal shavings everywhere....hmmm

good thing she's still under warranty!

Archived