LegacyGT.com

heel-toe

el scorcho

any MT drivers have trouble heel-toe'ing? I was trying this the other day, but either the brake pedal is to high, the gas pedal is too low or there isn't enough room as the center console gets in the way. :(

any tips? should i get new pedals? grow a 4th leg (already have a 3rd ;))?

OK, let's try something else.

Seems like you are placing your toe on the brake pedal and then twisting your foot counterclockwise in an attempt to hit the gas with your heel. But your heel keeps hitting the console instead? Sometimes it's easier to just roll your foot to the right and catch the gas pedal with the side of your foot. I have no trouble heel and toeing my 2005 Legacy GT. When I roadraced my 1971 Cuda, I had to use my heel on the brake and my toe on the gas - like the NASCAR drivers do. Toe on the brake is better because you have more sensitivity in your toe (actually, it's the ball of your foot usually).

I can't believe Xenonk hasn't jumped into this one yet:rolleyes:

OK, let's try something else.

Seems like you are placing your toe on the brake pedal and then twisting your foot counterclockwise in an attempt to hit the gas with your heel. But your heel keeps hitting the console instead? Sometimes it's easier to just roll your foot to the right and catch the gas pedal with the side of your foot. I have no trouble heel and toeing my 2005 Legacy GT. When I roadraced my 1971 Cuda, I had to use my heel on the brake and my toe on the gas - like the NASCAR drivers do. Toe on the brake is better because you have more sensitivity in your toe (actually, it's the ball of your foot usually).

I can't believe Xenonk hasn't jumped into this one yet:rolleyes:

Yep. "Heel/Toe" is kind of a misnomer. Ball of your right foot on the right side of the brake pedal and a slight tap/blip of the accelerator with the outside edge. That's how I do it, FWIW.

The pedal arrangement on the Legacy is garbage for heel/toe, but it still can be done. The bigger issue is the terribly large amount of throttle input you must give due to the e-throttle and dual mass flywheel.
ignore him, he'll go away.

The pedal arrangement on the Legacy is garbage for heel/toe, but it still can be done. The bigger issue is the terribly large amount of throttle input you must give due to the e-throttle and dual mass flywheel.

That can be changed. I tried it both ways.

The problem with the quicker throttle response is that during stop-and-go traffic it can become a pain.

However, I'm going to write that down as one of the things to change for my STU Auto-X map.

to get the right distance from the pedals you should place your foot flat on the firewall behind the brake as far as the heel and toe goes dont make your foot go horizontal like this -- just twist it a little like this \ AND roll it onto the accelerator.

If you have trouble turning your foot, either get used to doing it that way or keep your foot straight up then using the right side of your foot to do so. I have no problem turning my foot in Japanese cars but for European cars with floor mounted pedals such as Porsches and BMWs it is easier to use the side of your foot. Takes practice to master. I cant drive without it, its become a habit.

Your heel is going to rest on the floor inbetween the gas and brake pedal.

When slowing you will press down with the left side of your foot on the brake pedal. Then roll that braking foot to the right to blip the gas pedal hitting while keeping brake pedal steady with the left part of your foot.

It is less complicated then it seems.

I've always just used the right side of my foot to blip the throttle. Don't have any issues with that technique in the LGT.

Right on for my wide feet. As for peddle height issues, get stainless lines so the brake peddle compresses less b4 the pads start to bite.

As for the name "heel/toe" I believe that term was coined when the throttle peddle was in the middle and the brake on the right.

Your heel is going to rest on the floor inbetween the gas and brake pedal.

When slowing you will press down with the left side of your foot on the brake pedal. Then roll that braking foot to the right to blip the gas pedal hitting while keeping brake pedal steady with the left part of your foot.

It is less complicated then it seems.

ahh....actually, that makes more sense as the bottom part of the throttle sticks out the most. :cool:

Archived