LegacyGT.com

Max whp on 5MT

05gtlimited300

Another buddy of mine bought the set up for an sz55 on an STI with a huge TMIC and alky inj, but I dont know if hes gotten it all on and tuned. I really need to call him anyways. But I am sure there are other people who are running sz49 and 55's on there STI's.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For giggles I overlayed the dyno plot from my car with an SZ55 over the dyno plot from a bone stock 2008 Legacy 3.0R today. You'd think that the 3.0L H6 would kill me down low, but to my amazement my car actually makes more power and torque than the H6 does everywhere. Lag is relative. It feels like there isn't a lot going on because of how intense the surge of power is when the turbo spools up. However, a well tuned 2.5L make plenty enough power off boost to be peppy. I lose out to a well tuned Stage 2 LGT till just before 3800rpm, but after that it's bye bye!

1st is pretty useless since it's over in the blink of an eye. Second is somewhat meaningful and with the extended redline of the built motor doesn't run out till past 70mph.

Oh, it's laggy for sure relative to the on boost power, but if I stay off boost my car drive a lot like the 4 cyl Camry it looks like ;) That is to say the car is completely competent off boost, but boring. Viper hunting power is just a downshift away though. I like the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde personality of the car. I know that some might not.

Here is the last dyno graph Boost did with the SZ55. Temps were in the mid 90's running that pisswater they call 91oct...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Pisadong/Builtmotor_SZ55_CA91.jpg

As Boost mentioned & it is soooo true....

The cars are like Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde

A passenger in my car summed it up very well recently.

"Man I was expecting this car to be really fast, it sure does sound mean"

We were in town unable to get revs past 4k...

As soon as we got out on some of the more speed friendly roads the following was said...

"Holyshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit......."

All the while his right hand was on the OHshiiiit handle & his left was about to dislodge my center console

:lol::lol::lol:

Keep it under 3500 rpm though & a Civic SI seems quick;)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Here is the last dyno graph Boost did with the SZ55. Temps were in the mid 90's running that pisswater they call 91oct...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Pisadong/Builtmotor_SZ55_CA91.jpg

As Boost mentioned & it is soooo true....

The cars are like Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde

A passenger in my car summed it up very well recently.

"Man I was expecting this car to be really fast, it sure does sound mean"

We were in town unable to get revs past 4k...

As soon as we got out on some of the more speed friendly roads the following was said...

"Holyshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit......."

All the while his right hand was on the OHshiiiit handle & his left was about to dislodge my center console

:lol::lol::lol:

Keep it under 3500 rpm though & a Civic SI seems quick;)

Actually I ended up doing better with my tune the next day after getting some tuning tips. Here's what I got:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Pisadong/91octane_agressive.jpg

Hey Boostjunkie, it looks like you get full boost at about 4500 rpm, is that right? Do you know when an sz49 or 20g would hit full boost?

Full boost is just before peak torque, so I would say boost comes on a tad bit sooner. A 49 should come on about 3-500 rpms sooner, and then the 20g 3-500 sooner than the sz49.

^ What he said. Any WRX style turbo like the Deadbolt SZ49 or SZ55, Forced Performance Green or Red, or any of many 18g or 20g turbos will bolt on to our uppipe just fine. You will need an FMIC to work with the different style compressor outlet.

As for when I hit peak boost it is actually well before 4500 rpm. On the dyno I hit peak boost around 4100-4200rpm and on the street it comes up even sooner than that.

^ What he said. Any WRX style turbo like the Deadbolt SZ49 or SZ55, Forced Performance Green or Red, or any of many 18g or 20g turbos will bolt on to our uppipe just fine. You will need an FMIC to work with the different style compressor outlet.

As for when I hit peak boost it is actually well before 4500 rpm. On the dyno I hit peak boost around 4100-4200rpm and on the street it comes up even sooner than that.

Probably just like stock :lol: I still don't understand why SOA doesn't use a 55 lb turbo from the factory......

(I know you know what you are doing and are happy with the results, but I just can't help myself ;) )

I believe Deadbolt has an 18g and 20g that will bolt to our TMIC. Boxer4Racing has some on their website.

They do indeed and they are a lot more money than the WRX style version. For basically the same money you can get an FMIC and a WRX style turbo as for an LGT style upgrade turbo with an aftermarket TMIC. I'd go WRX style with an FMIC any day, all day.

Probably just like stock :lol: I still don't understand why SOA doesn't use a 55 lb turbo from the factory......

(I know you know what you are doing and are happy with the results, but I just can't help myself ;) )

Naw... I'm a wuss. SOA should have given us all 65 lb/min turbos stock!:lol:

Seriously though, my car is quite a bit slower than a tuned Stage 2 car below 3500 rpm. It's really not that much slower than a stock car though in the idle-3500 rpm range. Above 4K though furgitaboutit, I'm gone! That powerband suits me just fine, but I can certainly respect the desire that some have for a bit more low end punch at the expense of top end power.

They do indeed and they are a lot more money than the WRX style version. For basically the same money you can get an FMIC and a WRX style turbo as for an LGT style upgrade turbo with an aftermarket TMIC. I'd go WRX style with an FMIC any day, all day.

$200 is not a "lot more" Its all about the compressor cover being limited. Prices will drop when more 2007 WRX mods come out.

$200 is not a "lot more" Its all about the compressor cover being limited. Prices will drop when more 2007 WRX mods come out.

An FP 20g for a WRX is $1165. Heck, they now have an 18g that is just $699. The only company making an LGT style bolt-on turbos is Deadbolt. They want $1695 for an 18g and $1795 for a 20g. That is a lot more than $200. More like $600+.

An FP 20g for a WRX is $1165. Heck, they now have an 18g that is just $699. The only company making an LGT style bolt-on turbos is Deadbolt. They want $1695 for an 18g and $1795 for a 20g. That is a lot more than $200. More like $600+.

Apples to apples dude. Deadbolts 20g to Deadbolts 20g. $1595 to $1795 Not some POS 20g

:hide: from the stupidity that will insure over that comment :rolleyes:

Archived