LegacyGT.com

Why is Subaru A/T much slower than M/T

Alicafster

Merc has been spending so much time R&D'ing autoboxes that they have come up with a fantastic one. If Subaru researched their customers, they'd have fantastic cars too :lol:

merc is getting tired of spending all the mad mons on making their own trannys.. look for them having supplied trannys in the future

it wont matter. they regeard the final drive to make it slower. quicker shiting with a slower ratio. funny though. the 3.0r got the quicker tranny gearing. other wise it woul dbe even slower than it is now.

unfair to the gt owners imo. also, imo, it's another way that subaru says f**k you to the years previous customers. seems like they have the start of a fine package but then go out of their way to f**k it up severely. WHY!!!!???

WAIT!!!!! They made the newer 5EAT Legacy GTs slower than the 2005 & 2006 models???? WTF is that?

WAIT!!!!! They made the newer 5EAT Legacy GTs slower than the 2005 & 2006 models???? WTF is that?

gear wise yes. but the quicker shift may make up for it.

imo...modding the 08 gt should include getting a 05-07 final drive. imo, that would prolly make it about as quick as the manual.

from the factory, the AT will always be slower than a 5MT. there is a delay in shifting, even though they've improved actual shift speeds. however, if this really bothers you, the valve body upgrade will greatly improve this shifting speed. I can tell you that though I do love driving 6MT, i love my 5EAT. with the VB upgrade, it's so much faster and i get a lot more power.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

I read the next STI, will have a auto that is comparable to the EVO mid year 09. I think I would still get the manual.

it's still a rumor that there might be a DSG box. it will be quicker than the MT version. though i want the 6MT, when i'm driving every day for my business, i'm reminded why i bought the 5EAT instead in the first place. i want the new STI hatch, and hope i can hold out til i find out IF they do bring the DSG to the 09 version.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

it's still a rumor that there might be a DSG box. it will be quicker than the MT version. though i want the 6MT, when i'm driving every day for my business, i'm reminded why i bought the 5EAT instead in the first place. i want the new STI hatch, and hope i can hold out til i find out IF they do bring the DSG to the 09 version.

imo... the only real reason why VW's dsg is quicker than the manual is the gears. ALL of the dsg gears are for accleration compared to the slower geared manual.

Im doubting the R32 will be quicker than an MT LGT. I bet it will be pretty similar to the new WRX. If they come out with the R36 Golf that would be better.

The SRT-8 Jeep is crazy.

EDIT: oh, just saw the 5eat/3.0R note...

Yeah youre right wukin..

imo... the only real reason why VW's dsg is quicker than the manual is the gears. ALL of the dsg gears are for accleration compared to the slower geared manual.

DSG isn't quicker because of the gearing. DSG is quicker because it is essentially two separate manual transmissions that have computer controlled clutches and gear change. When it shifts say from 1 - 2. One half of the gear box has the first gear engaged, while the second gearbox has 2nd gear engaged, but the clutch plates are not engaged. So as it begins to shift, it starts letting the clutch slip to disengage the clutch on the first gear, at the same time the 2nd gear clutch is starting to engage. There's no loss of power during the shift.

Compared to a conventional manual gearbox, you will have a brief moment where power isn't being transfered regardless of whether you use the clutch or not to shift. Even when you don't use the clutch to shift, once you pull it out of gear, you just lost power to the wheels. You don't have power to the wheels until it goes into the next gear.

DSG isn't quicker because of the gearing. DSG is quicker because it is essentially two separate manual transmissions that have computer controlled clutches and gear change. When it shifts say from 1 - 2. One half of the gear box has the first gear engaged, while the second gearbox has 2nd gear engaged, but the clutch plates are not engaged. So as it begins to shift, it starts letting the clutch slip to disengage the clutch on the first gear, at the same time the 2nd gear clutch is starting to engage. There's no loss of power during the shift.

Compared to a conventional manual gearbox, you will have a brief moment where power isn't being transfered regardless of whether you use the clutch or not to shift. Even when you don't use the clutch to shift, once you pull it out of gear, you just lost power to the wheels. You don't have power to the wheels until it goes into the next gear.

ummm...did you even see the geatr ratios? i have and they are all drifferent. the dsg is geared to be quicker. i dont care how fast it shifts. it is still geared to be quicker than the manual.

Archived