LegacyGT.com

Why is Subaru A/T much slower than M/T

Alicafster

Most of the time it has to do with the added rotating mass inside the automatic transmission. Some manufacturers detune the power for the automatic transmissions too.

In the case with the 300zx turbo, the automatic was actually faster in the 1/4 mile. With an automatic, you're not losing boost between shifts.

Dave

How come Subaru´s auto tranmission is way slower than other brands. The difference between A/T and M/T 0-100 km/h on the 3.0R is about 1,5 sec. Does anyone have an idea?

Gear ratios gear ratios gear ratios.

make them the exact same and it wouldn't be different. as others have said as well...no one launches an a/t at 4k+ rpms without a t/c upgrade. do a launch on a m/t exact same rpm as a a/t with exact same ratios and i be you would be surprised.

Most of the time it has to do with the added rotating mass inside the automatic transmission. Some manufacturers detune the power for the automatic transmissions too.

In the case with the 300zx turbo, the automatic was actually faster in the 1/4 mile. With an automatic, you're not losing boost between shifts.

Dave

same exact thing is happening with the 335i's. people are saying the procede a/t is quicker than the m/t.

same exact thing is happening with the 335i's. people are saying the procede a/t is quicker than the m/t.

335i with the SMG gearbox would be faster than a manual, and faster than a traditional automatic. The SMG IS a conventional gearbox, well it's a sequential gearbox with a computer controlled hydraulically actuated clutch. It doesn't use a torque converter.

335i with the SMG gearbox would be faster than a manual, and faster than a traditional automatic. The SMG IS a conventional gearbox, well it's a sequential gearbox with a computer controlled hydraulically actuated clutch. It doesn't use a torque converter.

I disagree, there are some automatic transmissions, which are quicker than a manual. The one hat comes to mind right away is the Porsche 911 Turbo. The turbo-powered Sky and Solstice roadsters are also quicker with the automatic than the manual.

My guess: With a manual, you can rev it up high and dump the clutch. With an automatic, how high and rpm you can do that at is determined by the torque converter stall speed. If stall speed is low, you get a launch similar to a manual revved up only to the same middling rpm--this is like the rolling 5-60 numbers, which are off by at least a second from the abusive (?) high rpm clutch dump.

Gear ratios gear ratios gear ratios.///

What he said. Subaru MT's are geared numerically higher, so you have better acceleration and higher highway rpms. At the expense of some noise, wear, and fuel economy. Even the Subaru AT's are geared higher than some other cars.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I disagree, there are some automatic transmissions, which are quicker than a manual. The one hat comes to mind right away is the Porsche 911 Turbo. The turbo-powered Sky and Solstice roadsters are also quicker with the automatic than the manual.

Yes, automatics can be faster if they are tuned for that. Unfortunately, most cars are tuned for smoother shifts, which is slower. Head to head, a semi-auto gear box w/computer controlled clutch will be faster than a tuned automatic w/torque converter. The fastest will still be a Zero-shift gearbox and equivalents which engages the next gear and releases the current gear at the same time. While extremely fast, they can be violent with the shifts.

The 335I uses the Steptronic gearbox which is a great fast shifting auto gearbox. The SMG is not used on the 335I's.

On that note Subaru needs to introduce a DSG type gearbox.

Yes, automatics can be faster if they are tuned for that. Unfortunately, most cars are tuned for smoother shifts, which is slower. Head to head, a semi-auto gear box w/computer controlled clutch will be faster than a tuned automatic w/torque converter. The fastest will still be a Zero-shift gearbox and equivalents which engages the next gear and releases the current gear at the same time. While extremely fast, they can be violent with the shifts.

im been wondering how mercedes pulls it off. everytime i see a review of their cars in a mag it is always compared to a m/t. funny thing is though, the merc's line never has a zig zag point for shifting.

Gear ratios gear ratios gear ratios.

make them the exact same and it wouldn't be different. as others have said as well...no one launches an a/t at 4k+ rpms without a t/c upgrade. do a launch on a m/t exact same rpm as a a/t with exact same ratios and i be you would be surprised.

This is true to certain extend. The dyno has also shown that 5EAT puts down less power than the 5MT.

Archived