LegacyGT.com

Trouble getting the 5MT into reverse

kcarter116

About half of the time I go to put my 08 LGT into reverse, it doesn't go - i.e., there is a strong resistance before the shifter pulls all the way back.

I usually end up rowing into first and after that about 60% of the time it will slip into reverse fine. Other times I have had gone 1 - 2 - 3 - R or let the car roll fwd or back a little bit by itself. Once or twice I actually put it into 1 and rolled it forward, then into reverse.

This isn't caused by the 5 - R lockout feature (I don't park while in 5th).

Any thoughts / experiences?

I am wondering if I need to call the dealer.

Another just double clutch it. This is not Subaru specific. It's the same on just about every manual tranny ever made. This is somewhere around my 20th manual tranny car and ALL of them either had to be put in first or double clutched to get into reverse cleanly. As stated below there is no synchro on the reverse gear and the first gear syncro is a good substitute. If this doesn't line it up. Reclutching will get it the rest of the way.

Out of those 20 plus stick shift cars this has been one of the better one I've had.

Let's kick this pig!

I think I'd rather not hear that this is normal. My audi 6sp never had a problem like this.

I will try the engage / disengage the clutch tip.

I'm not going to tell you what you want to hear, but rather I'm going to tell you the truth. Reverse has no syncros and it's going to be a bitch to engage some times. Don't start comparing German 6spds to Japanese 5spds because they are obviously completely different machines.

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

on my beater 98' 200sx it was the same, I learned stick in that car and I thought the trans was broken. but a friend taught me just put it in first and then go back into reverse, works everytime i cant get into reverse directly.

I've had the same issue with every MT I've owned also, the synchros are set for forward movement, IE 1,2,3,4,5 etc. So to stop them so they will allow you to go into reverse easier, I always just throw it in 1, release the clutch just enough to stop the synchros, then it goes into reverse like butter.

Don't quote anything I stated, I don't know exactly what is happening, but I've had it explained before and it makes sense and the fix is simple, instead of ramming the shifter into reverse repeatedly.

Audi makes amazing MTs as well. It's really not a fair comparison. Their MTs are especially nice. You may have just been spoiled before. Ours is great, it just sucks now that I've driven an Audi MT. But hey it is strong as hell.

I've had the same issue with every MT I've owned also, the synchros are set for forward movement, IE 1,2,3,4,5 etc. So to stop them so they will allow you to go into reverse easier, I always just throw it in 1, release the clutch just enough to stop the synchros, then it goes into reverse like butter.

^+1

Except I let the clutch up all the way in neutral, then go to reverse. Also it's a little harder when it's still in cold idle...

Some people just the magic touch. I can manage to get it to slip right in after moving forward, but it's when the car has been parked overnight with the e-brake on that my reverse doesn't always cooperate. It's only after not being able to get it to slip right in that we have to resort to the methods describe in this thread not every time we shift into reverse. ;)
Let's kick this pig!

Thanks for the help and the tips. Of course, it hasn't happened again, but I appreciate the explanation of what's going on - lets my engineer brain visualize it.

My Audi was the only other standard car I've had - it's the only basis for comparison I have. I guess I was spoiled by my previous ride.

I was always taught to go into first then reverse. Has worked on every manual car I've had.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I was always taught to go into first then reverse. Has worked on every manual car I've had.

:whore: Reverse can be a stinker at times. I shift to first then back to reverse and it slips right in gear. This is not the first car I have owned that was difficult to get into reverse. I had a 94 Altima that exhibited the same condition.

I think I'd rather not hear that this is normal. My audi 6sp never had a problem like this.

I will try the engage / disengage the clutch tip.

i can't count the number of my friends that have had vw and audi syncros go bad at low mileage...

i love my tranny, even if i got to depress the clutch a second time to get it in reverse....

Archived