LegacyGT.com

Problem when no-lift shifting...

Cossey

Happens at the strip and on the street. When I NLS into 4th, the car like, hits a brick wall for a second, then slowly regains it's speed. I still managed a 14.3 at the strip, but it annoys the piss out of me. I dind't have a problem before when I went 14.1, but now I do. It happened once going into 3rd. I have a slight tune by a local person who's flashed my map onto another LGT and he's had no problems whatsoever. Someone please help!!!

your synchros are going to hate you.

I run 14.3s in my stock powered GT and I do it with just simple smooth and crisp shifting. You seriously shouldnt be FLAT FOOTING it. If you want to do that, call up Andrewtech and get yourself a PPG dogbox tranny instead.

btw, what are your 60' times?? On a fairly good day, you should hit 1.8s easy. A good launch is all you need to cut the times down. The stock turbo is small enough where you will hit full boost as long as you keep your rpms above 4000 rpms after each upshift. If anything, you're just maxing out the AFRs and the car is probably pulling timing more than anything (since you have your foot pegged and you're at WOT, causing the car to most likely pull timing and keep the fuel injectors running to keep your car from knocking).

You really dont need to ride up to the rev-limiter either, because you are not going any faster (or accelerating any quicker) at that point. Either you raise your rev-limiter or you shift.. I just shift right at redline. So long as your rpms drop back down to no lower than your peak torque rpm while WOT, you should be hauling ass.

Keefe

Yea, give it a good launch keeping the RPM's in your boost, in my case is around 3000-3500. Shift as close to fuel cut as you can in first gear to get the RPM's up since the biggest jump in gearing is from 1st-2nd, so around 7000-7100. Then shifting the rest right at redline and that is the best you can be shifting.

I was going to say if your at redline and your compressing the clutch and keeping the gas on, the only place your going to go is the cutoff? SOunds stupid...

Zac

Ya, the 14.3 was lifting. My best was a 14.197 w/ a 1.95 60'. I'm going back next Wednesday, lifting, and trying to launch better. I get too ancy and tend to let the clutch out too much rather than ride it out. Thanks for the help though guys!

Phil. Read the entire quote form rao.

I deleted that part because I believe it was an example of how to show not to make it happen.

OP, NEVER let go of the gas.

Sorry, I don't really understand it, but the way I read it was that was how to make it happen, not how to avoid it.

If he's not lifting at all, then he's just plain crazy :lol:

what all have you done to your car? my best time was a 14.3 @ 97mph last week but the track was horrible...very slick as it had rained all day...and I never make it into 4th. plus my launching sucks

i have the problem you are having from 1st to second, then third is great...but I never make it into 4th

mods:

cobb pulley

ap stage 2

sti up

kn panel filter

straight through exhaust

225 45 tires

and the car is lowered slightly

i think my belts are slipping a little on the cob pulley, as of late when i go wot i hear a screaching noise from under the hood

like i said i beat my old time of 14.7 (juut exhaust and an ap) but still haven't been able to break 100mph, which is my goal. with me, i'm new to racing so i think i will find the answer in my launch. I also notice my clutch slipping badly when heavy on it so I know that is going to be replaced soon.

Ya, the 14.3 was lifting. My best was a 14.197 w/ a 1.95 60'. I'm going back next Wednesday, lifting, and trying to launch better. I get too ancy and tend to let the clutch out too much rather than ride it out. Thanks for the help though guys!

When I ran the 14.3, I was bone stock. When I went 14.197 @ 96.1, I was just reflashed.

I still need to put on my coilovers, which will help with my launching considerably.

I also just ordered a new Walbro 255lph pump, and an AEM UEGO WBO2. I'm trying to see what I can do with just reflashing the stock ECU and a little more fuel and boost and timing lol.

what all have you done to your car? my best time was a 14.3 @ 97mph last week but the track was horrible...very slick as it had rained all day...and I never make it into 4th. plus my launching sucks

i have the problem you are having from 1st to second, then third is great...but I never make it into 4th

mods:

cobb pulley

ap stage 2

sti up

kn panel filter

straight through exhaust

225 45 tires

and the car is lowered slightly

i think my belts are slipping a little on the cob pulley, as of late when i go wot i hear a screaching noise from under the hood

like i said i beat my old time of 14.7 (juut exhaust and an ap) but still haven't been able to break 100mph, which is my goal. with me, i'm new to racing so i think i will find the answer in my launch. I also notice my clutch slipping badly when heavy on it so I know that is going to be replaced soon.

5mt or 5eat?

I ran a 14.8 on a bone stock 5eat, would have been ~14.6 had I not shortshifted 3rd badly.

Yea, we tried raising the boost limit a little bit, but no help. Maybe I didn't raise it high enough?

OP, you never told us what happened. Datalogs? Rom?

BTW, the threshold value that we are talking about is NOT the boost limit. In Enginuity, look under the Misc category. You will see something called Rev Limit Fuel Resume. The stock value is 9.67 psi. Raise it to 14 psi.

Merchgod added this in March 2007 so you need the latest defs. I believe Cobb recently added it to their Protuner as well.

Oh yeah... I forgot to add that my friend who shifts like this on his EVO 9... well, he learned how to do this on his heavily modified EVOIII (Galant). He left bits and pieces of his EVOIII transmission along the road.

I've had no issues doing it in any of my other cars, but I've been lifting lately. I've been using ECUFlash for software, but switching to Enginuity once my WBO2 gets in so I can log that as well.

Oh yeah... I forgot to add that my friend who shifts like this on his EVO 9... well, he learned how to do this on his heavily modified EVOIII (Galant). He left bits and pieces of his EVOIII transmission along the road.

weak point on turbo DSMs/GVR4s is, and has always been, their trans/

yea, sounds like the launch is what you need to work on, not fast shifting. A good launch should be anywhere from 1.6 to 1.8s for your 60' times.. if you can't get that part correctly, then driving the car hard down the rest of the way is really pointless. You're looking for the perfect launch, but to do that you need to learn how to rally launch it if you dont have a 2-step electronic setup. You need to let the clutch ride out some if you are on the stock pressure plate. There's also the fact that you are dealing with a lot more friction and drivetrain loss in an AWD turbo car, so if you're not making the power and right amount of boost, you're not going anywhere.

Keefe

Archived