LegacyGT.com

5MT vs 6MT quarter mile...

dr_sharp

After searching dragtimes.com,

http://www.dragtimes.com/Subaru--Legacy-Drag-Racing.html

I noticed that not a single '07 Spec.B was on the list.

Though there are a couple 06 Spec.Bs, these should theoretically be identical to the 5MT GT. I've noticed that on the 07 Spec.B, 4th gear goes to ~105 at redline. This would be ideal for the quarter mile as these cars trap just shy of 100mph.

Does anybody want to speculate or perhaps share their 07 Spec.B drag results?

In other words, do you think the 6MT gearing significantly affects the trap speed or time in the quarter mile relative to the 5MT?

Just some food for thought. I've been wondering about this for quite some time.

-dr_sharp

lol

I think the 6MT might have a slightly faster time, but a slightly slower trap speed.

The 5MT in 4th is at a lower rpm which is right at the peak torque.

The 6MT in 4th at redline is pretty much puttering out in power by then.

That is unless the 6MT driver goes to shift to 5th... he might get a much higher trap speed, but his overall time would probly be the same due to the time wasted in the shift.

Now assuming the 6MT mods the crap out of his car... he has to do a whole extra shift into 5th so the 5MT is actually the better drag racing tranny.

I'd still rather have the 6MT for top end speed and better cruising rpm

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Dude I just said that 80mph is 2980rpm in 6th... I own the car... wtf.

Dude, calm down, take a chill pill dude... :lol:

Going by Subaru research's spec.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/legacy2007.html

RPM = (rear gear ratio * (mph * 88)) / (tire Circumference/12) * trans gear ratio

For '07 spec B:

(3.454 * (80 * 88)) / (80.4/12) * 0.707 = 2566 RPM

For '07 LGT:

(4.111 * (80 * 88)) / (77.3/12) * 0.738 = 3315 RPM

Funny thing is for '08 the gear ratio listed are different:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/legacy2008.html

For '08 spec B:

(3.9 * (80 * 88)) / (80.4/12) * 0.707 = 3013 RPM

For '08 LGT:

(3.9 * (80 * 88)) / (77.3/12) * 0.738 = 3145 RPM

OK, as soon as you stop posting false information. If the 07 ratios are incorrect than the 06 and 08 ratios are likely skewed as welll. Get a better source.

Subaru Research, aka cars101.com, is about as good a source of info for Subaru as any. If you search around the forum you will see it mentioned repeatedly. The problem is that SOA published the wrong info on the '07 spec B's final drive. The final drive is actually 3.9 not 3.454. The gear ratio on the '07 LGT looks correct though. 80 MPH in 5th gear in my '06 is about 3300 RPM.

Subaru Research, aka cars101.com, is about as good a source of info for Subaru as any. If you search around the forum you will see it mentioned repeatedly. The problem is that SOA published the wrong info on the '07 spec B's final drive. The final drive is actually 3.9 not 3.454. The gear ratio on the '07 LGT looks correct though. 80 MPH in 5th gear in my '06 is about 3300 RPM.

and....

in my 5eat the rpm at 80mph is 2800.

also digging on said site...the 08 gt has a lower ratio for slower accelereation while the 3.0 got the exact same 07 ratio.

it's seems they slowed the turbo gt while trying to make up for the inherent weaker engine in the 3.0.

and your 1/4 miles is at 15 sec

sure. what ever you say dude.

07's are supposed to be putting down more power. some say 15psi. not sure what mine is at. also i believe that some members here have gotten 14.5 or so in the 1/4 have they not for the 05 and 06? what's your stock psi again? oh and don't hate the si drive or the fold down seats or my stereo, larger wastegate etc...

also, at least my top speed is higher and my turbo doesn't die at 5k rpms and some kick ass cruising rpm's.

sure. what ever you say dude.

07's are supposed to be putting down more power. some say 15psi. not sure what mine is at. also i believe that some members here have gotten 14.5 or so in the 1/4 have they not for the 05 and 06? what's your stock psi again? oh and don't hate the si drive or the fold down seats or my stereo, larger wastegate etc...

also, at least my top speed is higher and my turbo doesn't die at 5k rpms and some kick ass cruising rpm's.

Wow you just went off..

P.S. He has an Outback wagon which has fold down seats, the larger wastegate isn't for power and your turbo will die off at the same rpm as any other LGT.

Wow you just went off..

P.S. He has an Outback wagon which has fold down seats, the larger wastegate isn't for power and your turbo will die off at the same rpm as any other LGT.

you haven't driven the 07 5 eat have you?

you also forgot the catless up.

explain why some stockers are hitting 15 psi and why some previous my stocker 5eats have gotten 14.5...

one thing for suse on this site...too many people spew too much bs that it's pathetic.

No but I wouldn't want to. You haven't driven a stage 2 MT LGT have you? Im am willing to bet mwiener2's car is quite a bit faster than yours.

hey dont hate on the 5EAT :lol:. naw im just kidding hate on em all u want they are ALOT slower...and this is coming from a 5EAT owner. well, at least mine isnt slow;):lol:

Archived