LegacyGT.com

DIY Grill Done Right (Plus Fog Bezel Matching)

CSTMIZR

Well the stuff I used was from my custom shop days (any stereo shop should have some). The ABS is great because its thick and holds the form after heated (easier to just epoxy and clamp)....... Plastic is better though, it makes the epoxy step easier (if its the type you can mold to shape).

Was there any specific reason why you used epoxy, instead of ABS Cement?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, epoxy (two part adhesive) provides for a wider range of surface adherence properties. An ABS specific compound might show some deficiency in bonding strength on the OEM plastic (not ABS specifically).

Really the patching of those openings can be done using any rigid material, but the key is in a strong cross-material adhesive.

....... An ABS specific compound might show some deficiency in bonding strength on the OEM plastic (not ABS specifically). ........

I believe the OEM grille is ABS, because on the backside there is the molded in imprint "Subaru-ABS". Anyway, I will take my scrap pieces of grille and test them with the ABS Cement I have left over from a plumbing job.

I believe the OEM grille is ABS, because on the backside there is the molded in imprint "Subaru-ABS". Anyway, I will take my scrap pieces of grille and test them with the ABS Cement I have left over from a plumbing job.

Now that I think about it.... you're right, The OEM grille is ABS. Still, I use epoxys when working with factory materials as kind of a rule b/c there are some funky chalky type plastics that often make appearences in factory parts and its better safe than sorry.

Also, there is another thing to consider; the "body" of the adhesive. Especially if you are trying to fill gaps using just a screen, and not some solid material. This is so you are assured that the adhesive has plenty of surface cotact and isn't just touching the edges of the screen holes but covering the thickness of the screen.

Either way, good luck and post some pics when you're done. :)

looks great man...real nice job...like the different color

-Brian

Thanks man. :) We were really happy with the way it turned out and we actually finished the lower grille mods too, I've just been too lazy to post anything on it. I'll see if I can dig up a quick pic of the work and throw up something more comprehensive later.

Here are a couple of (admittedly crappy) pics of the lower bezel. We cut out the center support and made a vinyl inlay to fit the base of the opening. Finished it off with the same paint method used on the grille and fogs.

I'll put together a description of the process when I get a chance.

Cheers.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x215/CSTMIZR/mwlbsbs.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x215/CSTMIZR/P9220856.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x215/CSTMIZR/PICT0180.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x215/CSTMIZR/PICT0181.jpg

After letting my test pieces cure overnight, I tried to break the glued joint and broke the plastic before breaking the joint. Plenty strong I would say.

• 1 month later...
Now that I think about it.... you're right, The OEM grille is ABS. ........Either way, good luck and post some pics when you're done. :) ................

Here is what I ended up with. The two oval holes are clearance for driving lamps.

http://lh5.google.com/outahere2/R4C2BH5wFEI/AAAAAAAAAFk/0V7q6uRvl_8/s800/DSC00363.JPG

Additional photos are at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/outahere2/Grille1

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
I'm glad I found this! I spent $260 on Grill Craft upper and lower grills for my 2006 WRX. Worst mod/biggest waste of $$$ IMO. I think you did it the right way. Now if I can just repeat the process exactly how you did it, it should be all good. We'll see.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Can anyone give me directions on how to remove my grille without having to remove the bumper. I have a 2009. I opened the hood and saw 4 little latches on top of the grille that you can easily pop off. however on the left and right sides there are 2 circular plastic screws holding the grill in place and they will not unscrew for some reason. if anyone could give me directions it would be much appreciated.

the mesh is flat..... like this

you have overlap mesh material(as in the grill is slightly larger than what you need) that goes towards radiator of that mesh like this

*[*

The zip ties go on the pieces overlapped out of sight. you drill small holes to top and bottom of grille to secure mesh to plastic. End result is from front you don't see the zip ties but behind the grille you do.

After looking @ the last 2 questions, the cross bar is cut/chopped/dremel whatever method you use to cleanly remove it.

:confused::lol: im lost. . .so the gutter guard mesh is tall enough to fit over and under the outer rim of the grille? Then its just secured in place with zip ties...

when you say the grille is slightly larger than what you need...that confuses me. I assume you don't need two seperate pieces of gutter guard to fill the gap? I should just take measurements of the grille and my question would be answered.

Yes mesh slightly larger than grille. The tabs folded back in this "[" On those folded tabs, use the zip ties(black imho) to secure it to top sides and bottom of grille(or bumper depending on what you are meshing). White zip ties on a grille like this "|" will end up looking like this.

This was also an option... View from radiator side of grille. instead of glue the zip ties would be there.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2858/1601/32143300189_large.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...
I recently bought an 05 and the guy before me did this but the sanding imperfections are horrific and the paint chipped like a mofo. If I start over and sand it right will I be able to fix the imperfections?? I was also thinking of painting the mesh red along with my calipers.. Any opinions on that part?

Archived