LegacyGT.com

DIY Grill Done Right (Plus Fog Bezel Matching)

CSTMIZR

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice! I've been working on mine for some time now. I'm never dedicated enough to put in any length of time on it. So I have a slightly sloppy bondo job going on right now. I will eventually finish it (goal is for end of June) in body color GRP.

Hoping it comes out looking as good as yours.

Thanks guys :)

We just finished a full-on detail and daytime photoshoot, hutru should post up some shots soon.

Brady,

Yeah, its definately a pain but when its all done it'll be worth it. Good luck and post up pics. :)

Guest Gitster

That ABS molding for the side filling is an awesome touch !! No one has ever really shown an idea like that, Nice Work overall!

Question about the fog bezels, pics dont really show any difference???

Were the pics before you guys finished the bezels???

seems like it would be easier to buy a rbs one!

Yeah, but this was a lot more fun, OEM fit, and is actually a one-off piece (no one makes that molded production part finish).:icon_chee

That ABS molding for the side filling is an awesome touch !! No one has ever really shown an idea like that, Nice Work overall!

Question about the fog bezels, pics dont really show any difference???

Were the pics before you guys finished the bezels???

Thanks dude, every time I see it I'm like :wub: .

As for the fog bezels, check near the end of the OP for the fog bezel section and you'll see they were white (like the car) at first. We added matching texture to those and are working on matching "semi-bezels" (hard to explain) for the lower grills. I'll keep ya posted on that................

Matt, put up the finished day pics.:spin:;)

Guest Gitster
Yeah, but this was a lot more fun, OEM fit, and is actually a one-off piece (no one makes that molded production part finish).:icon_chee

Thanks dude, every time I see it I'm like :wub: .

As for the fog bezels, check near the end of the OP for the fog bezel section and you'll see they were white (like the car) at first. We added matching texture to those and are working on matching "semi-bezels" (hard to explain) for the lower grills. I'll keep ya posted on that................

Matt, put up the finished day pics.:spin:;)

GOTCHA.

Oh and whats the deal with the Magic Eraser?? Isnt that that Mr. Clean product?? Did you just use it to remove all the dirt and grease?

So Cal Post Whoooring Thread

Cause Rambo posts in there like its his day job.

^^^:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, The ME mimics ~900 grit sand paper so it worked real well (with some elbow grease of course) to remove any crud and prep the factory clearcoat for a nice primer spray down.

Oh, BTW the ABS molding is sooooo easy too.

Just cut a square, put it down of the pavement and hit it with the heat gun on high for 15 secs (up close ~8" away). Quickly bend it (really your laying it) around the opening and hold till it cools (wear gloves).

Well the stuff I used was from my custom shop days (any stereo shop should have some). The ABS is great because its thick and holds the form after heated (easier to just epoxy and clamp).

Really, you can employ the same principle using any malleable material. Home depot probably has dozens of small parts for use in whatever (plumbing, HVAC, etc.), you can just get a $2 widget and cut it up. One of those metal duct adaptors would work nicely (just don't cut yourself). Plastic is better though, it makes the epoxy step easier (if its the type you can mold to shape).

Guest Gitster

Very Nice, now tackle those headlights this weekend.

I think what I like the best is how you blended the chrome lip into the rest of the grille. No lip, just a slight change in angle. Very subtle.

Aghhhh....too much work, tools, and material required but great job indeed. Best yet so far. How much would it cost if you did mines?? Just the grill of course
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Very Nice, now tackle those headlights this weekend.

I think what I like the best is how you blended the chrome lip into the rest of the grille. No lip, just a slight change in angle. Very subtle.

I am trading for 05 headlights as I type. :)

Very Nice, I think what I like the best is how you blended the chrome lip into the rest of the grille. No lip, just a slight change in angle. Very subtle.

Thanks dude, that's exactly what I was going for. :)

Aghhhh....too much work, tools, and material required but great job indeed. Best yet so far.

You humble me with your kind words, thanks :).

How much would it cost if you did mines?? Just the grill of course

Well, you present an very interesting question............................

I suppose it would depend on the styling, finish, and my free time (:spin:). It would have to be either primer, flat, or textured (not gonna deal with OEM matching.........its a real headache w/o the actual car).

Let me think about that, I'll get back to you...............

^^^:lol::lol::lol:

BAM!!!

Well i would actually consider the same color as yours but maybe flat with a clearcoat. My car is OBP..

Well.......right now there's no way I could find the time to do another one.

I'll post something or PM you when I get some more free time and I'm considering the OEM matching...............

Archived