LegacyGT.com

05 5EAT upgradability....

shipjumper

I have a great red 05 GT (5EAT) sitting on my lot staring at me says "BUY ME!" trade the miata and buy me!

anyhoo... the questinos I haves eess.... (sorry, too much time in NASIOC OT)

-how much powah can the stock auto take, as im normally a 5MT guy, but this price is too good at dealer wholesale..

-will STi seats bolt in and will the airbag connectors mate? I hate the cloth seats, they dont feel right...

-I have been trying to read the random 5EAT threads, but some things still seem alien to me, torque convertor lockup, etc... is there a basic FAQ for no0bs on the 5EAT setup?

-can I make the shifts quicker?

- ipod hookups? hacks? adaptors????

- trailer hitches for a small yard trailer or wheels to auto-x?

ugh, thanks! I have been searching, but overwhelmed!

Mike

Oh gawd, now I'm the douche-bag that's going to say "search" but in all sincerity, check out some of the members on here. Just to name a few:

wukindada

trdvibe

jerseyglock

wavewagon

mikeyan26

Some of those folks put down some serious power with their 5EATs.

As of now, I believe that jerseyglock and trdvibe have had their valve bodies recalibrated by an outfit that goes by the name of Import Performance Transmissions (IPT).

also:

iamboon

hybrid22L

there are a few of us crazies. this is also my first auto that i've modded, so i am still learning all aobut them (quickly like when I had to do my Valve Body upgrade). as someone mentioned, you can make the shifts a little quicker and stronger, but it's not too cheap. If you can get yourself over to IPT in NJ, Ty/John can hook you up. Depending on how much modding you want to do, it may or may not be worth it since it's not a cheap mod. I have no clue what I'm running as for power yet, there is no AWD dyno in the land of AWD cars (go figure). however, I will be getting a PDX road tune in 2 wks and then May 30 will be getting the car properly dyno tuned for my race and pump gas maps down at the PDX complex. I am pretty confident in the car as it stands now to hit 12s. If not, i'm going to cry.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

well, unless you have the $$$ to spend on it and a place to put it, not to mention a tuner, it's a tough sell. i would love to have one up here. we have one of the highest per capita AWD and 4WD vehicles, huge racing venue (too bad not too many places to do it) and plenty of people with money burning in their pockets. This summer alone, I know of 4 STI's who will be running just under or more 400 whp set ups. I'm hoping my 5EAT will be in the 270+ range, but you know how it goes on the dynos with these silly things...

there is one AWD dyno and it is located at the University and used for the GM ASE certification. no one is allowed to use it and hardly anyone ever gets to even LOOK at the silly thing. Seems like a lot of money wasted when they could use it for learning, especially when we have a well known and experienced Dyno tuner coming up in less than 2 wks. however, there is a 2WD dyno here that one of the shops bought to use for himself. he hardly ever lets anyone else use it.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

To answer the question on how much power the tranny can hold up to, we'll see ;). Long term reliability is unknown, but I was stage 2+ for a long time, and for the last 8K or so miles, i've been at 310ish WHP. So far so good as far as holding up to that kind of power. Have had a tranny cooler on for a while as well, too.

Going for a full tune next friday at Harman Motive, so we'll see what she ends up at.

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

Archived