LegacyGT.com

Turn Signal Troubles

SLegacy99

So my passenger side turn signal sometimes blinks invariably...like an old Chrysler. Sometimes its fast, sometimes it slow, sometimes its normal. I replaced the bulbs, no good. Is it a relay? How do I fix it? Thoughts?

I think the same flasher unit does the work for both the driver and passenger side, so that would point to an issue with the passenger side wiring, bulbs, & sockets. Are the contacts in the sockets clean? I use one of these to clean corrosion from bulb sockets...it is marketed for removing rust from paint chips before touching up the paint.

1461709151_PrepPen.jpg.f47724c573529e50209f66ea7c2e2c4a.jpg

It is still ugly.

Would the contacts in the turn signal lever have anything to do with this? I have never had one apart. My '02 Outback service manual is no help - no troubleshooting guide. My Camry service manual lists the following possible causes for "abnormal turn signal function": bulb; turn signal switch; wiring harness.
It is still ugly.

• 3 weeks later...
Still havent figured it out. It was blinking so fast yesterday and today it was normal. Im thinking it might be the front bulb but I dont feel like buying Amber bulbs if I dont have too. I did notice that if you remove the bulb it does the same blinking thing.......hmmm

With the other things that you've checked, go look at the grounds, on your car there should be a couple, one on each front side under where 1) the battery sits (as in UNDER, like looking up from the ground) and 2) under the ABS pump

Take them off, sand away any corrosion, reinstall, then spray over it with anti-rust paint.

Goodluck.

Kian

Now that my turn signal is working again my left speakers decided that they would stop working. Loose wire of some sorts. I HATE THIS CAR. Everytime I fix something, a new problem arises. ITS A F*****G LEMON! LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 years later...

hey guys, I know that this thread is pretty old, but I'm having the same problems on my passengers side turn signal, and mine is also intermittent. Sometimes it blinks fast and sometimes its slow. You can also tell that there is less power to that side. And sometimes the front will blink, then the back will blink, like they are blinking seperately. Sorry but I don't have the service manual yet and I'm wondering where the turn signal flasher relay is?

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

This is a problem with a flasher. If no bulbs are burned out it is the flasher. The speed of the flash has NOTHING to do with the ECU, they are in no way, shape, or form wired or connected to each other at all. The ECU has no idea when a bulb is dying, or even when the blinker is on. The wiring harness for the blinkers are connected to an electronic flasher, NOT the ECU.

The reason if flashes faster is because the flasher is designed to run with a certain amount of amperage draw. When a light burns out the amperage drawn off the flasher is reduced, this removing some load. The reduced load makes the flasher blink faster. If you were to wire an extra bulb to the flasher, it would flash slower due to the added amperage draw.

An increased flash rate may be due to a burned out bulb, or a dying flasher. The flasher for the 99 LGT is an EF34 Electronic Flasher, cost... $9.99 at Autozone.

Could also be a loose wire from the hazard switch. What happens when you turn on the hazards?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsProduct.jsp?skuDescription=Blazer+/+Turn+Signal+Flasher&categoryDisplayName=Electrical+%26+Lighting&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=6416_0_0_&productId=6416&sortType=&parentId=57-0&filterByKeyWord=flasher&isSearchByPartNumber=false&navValue=15701559&categoryNValue=15799999&fromWhere=&itemId=1559-0&displayName=Turn+Signal+Flasher&store=5017&searchText=flasher&brandName=Blazer

So by flasher, are you meaning the Flasher Relay like what the other guys were saying or is this something different? I understand what you are saying about the amperage draw and I hope that this is just a simple fix. I wasn't able to check out the car last night but hopefully I get a chance tonight. I'll let you know what happens when I turn the hazards on. Thanks.

Archived