LegacyGT.com

Quotes???

BDII

[Joel Goodson's parents are away for the weekend]

Miles: Joel, you wanna know something? Every now and then say, "What the fuck." "What the fuck" gives you freedom. Freedom brings opportunity. Opportunity makes your future.

Miles: Say "what the fuck."... If you can't say it, you can't do it.

Memorable Quotes from

Risky Business (1983)

• 2 weeks later...

From the quote file (I collect these - I know, big loser :icon_bigg )

"The person who gets the farthest is generally the one who is willing to do and dare. The sure-thing boat never gets far from shore."

- Dale Carnegie

"Your goals, minus your doubts, equal your reality."

- Ralph Marston

Reality doesn’t go away just because you can’t see it.

--Alex

"The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for 30 years she served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been found."

- Calvin Trillin

The desert sure knows how to make a point.

- Alex.

We have more ability than willpower. It is often an excuse to ourselves that we imagine things are impossible.

A good scare is worth more to a man than good advice.

Ed Howe

Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it.

Thoreau

Failure is not the only punishment for laziness; there is also the success of others.

Jules Renard

There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure, and those who go secretly hoping they won’t.

William Trogden

Solitude is a silent storm that breaks down all our dead branches.

Kahlil Gibran

"Part of the reason that men seem so much less loving than women is that men's behavior is measured with a feminine ruler."

- F.M. Cancian

"Pain is temporary, pride is forever."

- Anonymous

The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' -- the pig was 'committed'."

The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.

W.M. Lewis

You can't build a reputation on what you're going to do.

- Henry Ford

Life is a cement trampoline.

Howard Nordberg

Never does nature say one thing and wisdom another.

Juvenal

The Marathon – pain is certain, suffering is optional

Joe Howard

Effort is only effort when it begins to hurt.

Jose Ortega y Gasset

Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place where it leads.

Erica Jong

A committee is a thing which takes a week to do what one good man could in an hour.

Elbert Hubbard

Personal demons are notoriously bad bicyclists, and are dropped in the first mile ~ Justin Crawford

2. If it is to be, its up to me!

Six pages in, and nobody has quoted Hunter S. Thomson yet??

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

A few weeks back I was sitting with a group of executives. All were admiring a new model.

"It is absolutely the best automobile that can be made," enthused one. I objected to that statement.

"Let's take this automobile which, you say, is the 'best that can be made' and put it into a glass showcase," I said. "Let's put it in there—seal it so no person can possibly touch it. Just before we seal it in the case, let us mark the price in big letters inside the case."

"Let us do that and come back here a year from today. After looking at it and appraising it, we will mark a price on the outside of the glass. It will be a price something less than what we think the car is worth today. Probably $200 less. Then, let's come back once every year for ten years, look through the glass, and mark a new price. At the end of ten years we won't be able to put down enough ciphers to indicate what we think of the car. That is, of course, eliminating its value as junk.

"In those ten years, no one could possibly have touched the car. There could be no lessened value through handling. The paint would be just as good as new; the crank case just as good; the real axle just as good; and the motor just as good as ever.

What then, has happened to the car?

"People's minds will have been changed; improvements will come in other cars; new styles will have come. What you have here today, a car that you call 'the best that can be made,' will then be useless. So it isn't the best that can be made. It may be the best you can have made and, if that is what you meant, I have no quarrel with what you said. . . ."

Change, to a research engineer, is improvement. People, though don't seem to think of it in that manner. When a change is suggested they hold back and say, "What we have is all right—it does the work." Doing the work is important but doing it better is more important. The human family in industry is always looking for a park bench where it can sit down and rest. But the only park benches I know of are right in front of an undertaker's establishment.

There are no places where anyone can sit and rest in an industrial situation. It is a question of change, change, change, all the time—and it is always going to be that way. It must always be that way for the world only goes along one road, the road to progress. Nations and industries that have become satisfied with themselves and their ways of doing things, don't last. While they are sitting back and admiring themselves other nations and other concerns have forgotten the looking-glasses and have been moving ahead . . . .

The younger generation—and by that I mean the generation that is always coming—knows what it wants and it will get what it wants. This is what makes for change. It brings about improvements in old things and developments in new things.

You can't stop people from being born. You can't stop the thing we call progress. You can't stop the thing we call change. But you can get in tune with it. Change is never waste—it is improvement, all down the line. Because I have no further need for my automobile doesn't mean that that automobile is destroyed. It goes to someone who has need for it and, to get it, he disposes of something that is unnecessary to his happiness. And so on to the end where the thing that is actually thrown away is of no further use to anyone. By this method living standards, all around, are raised.

We hear people complaining because of new models in automobiles. If it were not for these new models these same people would be paying more for what they have. Recognition of the fact that progress is inevitable forces us to recognize that we must have improvements in motor cars.

We, as manufacturers, must offer those improvements after they have been found to be capable improvements. The public buys and disposes of what it has. The fact that it is able to dispose of what it has enables us, as producers, to put a lower price tag on the new model. The law of economy in mass production enters here. We are permitted to turn out cars in volume because there is a market for them.

If automobile owners could not dispose of their cars to a lower buying strata they would have to wear out their cars with a consequent tremendous cutting in the yearly demand for automobiles, a certain increase in production costs, and the natural passing along of these costs to the buyer.

If everyone were satisfied, no one would buy the new thing because no one would want it. The ore wouldn't be mined; timber wouldn't be cut. Almost immediately hard times would be upon us.

You must accept this reasonable dissatisfaction with what you have and buy the new thing, or accept hard times. You can have your choice.

[From Charles F. Kettering, "Keep the Consumer Dissatisfied," Nation's Business, 17, no. 1 (January 1929), 30–31, 79.]

Who Dares Wins

スバル

"I've seen everything at drag strips... garbage truck, school busses... even civics"

"Speed kills, Drive a honda and live forever." -unknown

"I'm so glad someone is willing to blow up their own stuff for the sake of

adventure." -KBD

"No Mr. Officer, this car was fully equipped like that from the day it was

new....it's a special edition" -Ive said this to a cop

"The only place you will find success before work is in the back of the

Dictionary."

Fight crime. Shoot back.

I can bend minds with my spoon.

Humpty Dumpty was pushed!

No-one suspects the butterfly!

Debate politics with a fern. If you lose, refuse to water it.

do you know the importance of mixing caramel and honey and whipping creme

together and heating it up in the microwave for 2 minutes and pouring it on your

cat?

"The Paper Tiger is always quick to fold"

"Nothing beats the scissor Lizards shear power"

"Many take the rock lobster for granite"

• 3 weeks later...
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather--who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

--Author Unknown

Advice for the day: If you have a lot of tension and you get a headache, do what it says on the aspirin bottle: "Take two aspirin" and "Keep away from children."

--Author Unknown

The problem with the designated driver program, it's not a desirable job, but if you ever get sucked into doing it, have fun with it. At the end of the night, drop them off at the wrong house.

--Jeff Foxworthy

Relationships are hard. It's like a full time job, and we should treat it like one. If your boyfriend or girlfriend wants to leave you, they should give you two weeks' notice. There should be severance pay, the day before they leave you, they should have to find you a temp.

--Bob Ettinger

My Mom said she learned how to swim when someone took her out in the lake and threw her off the boat. I said, 'Mom, they weren't trying to teach you how to swim.'

--Paula Poundstone

Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh my God.... I could be eating a slow learner.

--Lynda Montgomery

I think that's how Chicago got started. Bunch of people in New York said, 'Gee, I'm enjoying the crime and the poverty, but it just isn't cold enough. Let's go west.'

--Richard Jeni

If life were fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead.

--Johnny Carson

Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography.

--Paul Rodriguez

Remember in elementary school, you were told that in case of fire you have to line up quietly in a single file line from smallest to tallest. What is the logic in that? What, do tall people burn slower?

--Warren Hutcherson

Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.

--Oscar Wilde

Suppose you were an idiot .. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself.

--Mark Twain

Our bombs are smarter than the average high school student. At least they can find Afghanistan.

--A. Whitney Brown

You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'My God, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'

--Dave Barry

Do you know why they call it "PMS"? Because "Mad Cow Disease" was taken.

--Unknown, presumed deceased

"I love the feel of wind in my face and boobies against my back." - BMW motorcycle rider

Mark Twain, 1888 - on the subject of my Alma Mater. :lol:

TSi+WRX, when'd you graduate?

"You don't go to Hopkins for four years. You do a four year tour of Hopkins. Just like in Vietnam"

My TOD ends in May.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Winners never quit, and quitters never win, but those who never quit AND never win are idiots.

"I want every moment of your life, no matter how romantic...to be tainted with the thought of legal action."

-Doug Sandhaus, Business Law I

"At some point the education stops and the pain begins." ~Professor S. Rao Kosaraju

• 1 month later...

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company.... a church.... a hme. The remarkable thing is you have a choice every day regarding the attitude you will embrace for that day.

We cannot change our past.... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you. You are in charge of your Attitude"

Charles Swindoll

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

"If you get shot, don't cry like a little bitch....you might live"

Mike ****** - SEAL Team Instructor, Coronado

(and friend of PGT's family)

just because I find it funny and Capt Anderson is posting again :icon_bigg