LegacyGT.com

Intermittent Airbag Light on Gauge Cluster

My 06 Legacy has been checked by the dealer three times because the airbag light on the gauge cluster intermittently lights up and the passenger airbags stop working (as per the indicator light). The only code they can retrieve is “29”, which I am told is “inconclusive.” Although the passenger seat scale has been recalibrated multiple times, the technicians are unsure how to proceed and “cannot diagnose and repair an intermittent problem with a code 29.” I have even delivered the car to the dealership as the problem is occurring to no avail. Any ideas or recommendations?

Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it. Does it help to mention that the problem occurs often when it is moist or damp outside? The next time I bring the car in, I would like to have as much information as possible for the dealer.

• 1 month later...
;1096928']I agree. It's either a bad wiring connection or a bad occupant detection system (ODS) seat module.

If anyone else has this problem, the appropriate portion of the passenger seat was replaced (complete with sensor) and the problem has not returned in over a month.

Thank you for the input.

• 4 weeks later...
Im having the same problem with my car right now. I just got it back from the dealer unfixed because they cant get the part for two weeks. Do you think the car is safe to drive around like this? Should I ask for a loaner or rental?

In my particular case, the dealer told me that the car was safe to drive. However, I recommend asking the dealership or manufacturer directly if there is any safety risk (especially since I am not a technician and cannot advise you or evaluate your vehicle).

But, in my opinion, the car is not performing as engineered if the supplemental restraint system is not functioning properly. I did receive a loaner car while waiting for the part to arrive.

Good luck with the repair.

• 4 months later...
  • 12 years later...

I have the same problem with my 2009 and recently brought it into the dealer for the pass airbag (Takata) recall. The dealer wanted to replace the Airbag Light Indicator Unit since the light was on during the visit. He said that replacing the airbag inflator per this recall would not fix my "airbag light" problem and said it would cost me $300. He said he was getting a Code 26 for my problem which indicated to him that I needed to replace the unit. I declined his request (to do my own research) and when picking up the car after the recall work was done noticed that the airbag light was out. For the past 2 weeks since the recall work was done, the light is on sometimes and not on more often from before the recall work was done. So I guess them replacing the inflator unit "partially" fixed my problem? I found online that this "Airbag Light" problem is very common in Subarus and there is a good DIY tutorial video to fix the problem where one could reflow the solder joints to rectify the "Airbag Light" problem. I'll be trying this before I give the dealer anything!!! Anyway, I've had this problem on and off for years and always passed my NYS inspections. Link to the video is below. Hope this helps Subie owners. Comments and replies are welcome.