LegacyGT.com

LGT with STI scoop, spotted in LA

FishingFiend

I never let this problem evolve because I swapped my stock intercooler to an aftermarket one as soon as I had the money, never gave it a chance to corrode as bad as in that pic.

When I bought the car used it had about 30K miles and the intercooler had definitely started showing signs of accelerated degradation. Aluminium basically started to look like acid was poured on it. It was also leaking, unknown to me. Like when I bought the car I would sometimes get walked by Civic Si and such, that's how much boost I was leaking. As soon as I switched I was giving STis a good run for their money, especially on twisty roads.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People also assumed this only really affected cars up north. I can tell you that cars in the south were also affected even in hot weather. You also have to check the iron content of the water that is used to wash your car with. The combination of the soap and hard water will eat through that intercooler faster! Ask me how I know! :spin:
---

I went out and bought a piece of 6" styrofoam, made a stencil of the chamber and made a custom plug for my hood scoop.

I just popped it in every time my wife took the car.

Did you trace it from the inside?

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

I have been using Johnson's Baby Shampoo since my car was new. It is very mild and gentle. Our water is kind of hard but we have a Brita filter plumbed in so all is good. No IC corrosion issues. At least none so far :spin:

Baby shampoo, I like that idea...

No donuts here, we had Danish today.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I took the interior dimensions then put it into Solidworks and created a 3D image.

You should share the file, I'm actually an engineer for Solidworks. I train engineers on how to use the program, and would love for everyone to have access to that. Especially if means helping slow the death of our intercoolers.

I can make a drawing for you, and spec out dimensions. We also happen to be one of the top(if not the best) 3D printing studios in the Midwest, so a prototype wouldn't be hard to make. [emoji6]

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Archived