LegacyGT.com

"HANABI brand" Legacy Wagon LED Taillight

stransky

I have ordered one pair of the smoked taillights with shipping in late mars.

They take international orders, e-mail for an inquiry.

Please post lots of pics of them installed on your car!

Those smoked ones look sweet!:cool:

Suh-weet. The red ones look quite OEM. However, it looks like they are sans side-markers for us US folks that need to keep it *legal*.

rear tailights need side markers? when has that been required, i thought only the front headlamps require amber/orange colored sidemarkers of some form.

Ed

rear tailights need side markers? when has that been required, i thought only the front headlamps require amber/orange colored sidemarkers of some form.

Ed

Pretty sure there's some FMVSS/DOT regulations saying that there needs to be a side-facing red marker light. Usually they can just use reflectors to cast the light in the case of an incandescent bulb, but since LEDs are directional in their light output, you can't see them from the sides.

Check out any vehicle on the road, it will have some sort of side marker in the rear, even if integrated into the tail - or in the case of trucks/SUVs, they make the tail/stop lamp visible from the sides.

They should just have a string of 3-4 LEDs striking off the side. The visible light wattage requirement is low.

^^^

True that is what separates the JDM tails from ours.

But on the reguler bulb JDM tails (which I have), the illumination can be seen from the side, admittedly its not much...

Pretty sure there's some FMVSS/DOT regulations saying that there needs to be a side-facing red marker light. Usually they can just use reflectors to cast the light in the case of an incandescent bulb, but since LEDs are directional in their light output, you can't see them from the sides.

Check out any vehicle on the road, it will have some sort of side marker in the rear, even if integrated into the tail - or in the case of trucks/SUVs, they make the tail/stop lamp visible from the sides.

They should just have a string of 3-4 LEDs striking off the side. The visible light wattage requirement is low.

What about the turn signal on the mirrors on the LTD? They can be seen from the side.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

What about the turn signal on the mirrors on the LTD? They can be seen from the side.

Those are considered "front" or "side" lights - there needs to be a RED side marker lamp at the rear of the vehicle visible from a 90 degree angle.

FMVSS Section 108 is the mandate for taillamp conformance. SAE J592E details side marker reflector and lamp requirements for DOT. Therefore not only do you need the side marker lamp, but you need a reflex reflector visible from the side too.

Basically, until somebody in the US starts producing an aftermarket tail, there's an unlikely chance it will be DOT legal.

A crazy thought I had (in the land of retros) was to take a stock wagon tail, and retro it with a [possibly trimmed] array from a late model Infiniti G or M with the circular LED arrays. If you can plumb in a few LEDs on the OEM side marker "swipe", you can maintain all the reflectors, and provided it meets the photometric requirements (which you would assume it would if Infiniti can use it), it would be essentially DOT legit... sans paperwork.

question is, these rear taillamps must be DOT legal to appear on a production car, but realistically, how often would a police officer be astute or observant enough to ticket someone or pull someone over with functional aftermarket taillamps that lack right angle reflectors that probably wont be noticed during the day and difficult to see at night (and if you argue a car is shining its lights on that car at a perpendicular angle, i think they are gonna notice the car itself before seeing the lack of side reflector.)

and what about those old crappy cars that have rusted bumpers where the integrated rear side reflectors have pretty much rusted and fallen off, are they also technically running their cars illegally, and if so, how often do they get pulled over for that.

i guess what im asking is, if someone here in the US buys one of those JDM LED taillamps, how much trouble and headache will he get into with the police in real life situations?

It's not the police you have to worry about, I belive this type of issue would fall under a seconday offense, meaning they have to pull you over for something else, and then they can write you a ticket for the taillights. You would have trouble with passing state inspectiions though. What I would do it get 2 Red reflectors and 2 orange reflectors and use a tiny bit of 3m tape to attach them near the stock front (if you've cleared your headlights) and rear reflector location for inspections, then remove them afterwards. I really dont think these JDM lights would create any tangable problem, unless the police in your area are rediculously anal-retentive.

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

Actually, I think they can only wright you a ticket for, uhhh.....i forget the actual term, but I think it's defective vehicle or smething like that. It would be the same as if you were pulled over with a tail light out.

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

I have chimed in on this issue a few times before but I got pulled over for having a "visibly lowered" car- my 97 Acura riding on H&R's and Koni's.

I was not speeding, nor driving like an ass, just cruising along in 5pm rush-hour traffic.

I got pulled over and then they went through my car with a fine-tooth comb, they wrote me up for an inspection that included car too low, white signals in the tail lights, cleared headlights, blue glowing gauges in the dash, loud exhaust, etc, etc.

They were cool as I was really polite and friendly with them and explained that I had 30 days to get it all stripped out or fixed, and then get the car inspected.

They could have towed the car right then and there but they didn't...

It was a still huge hassle and it showed me that once they see something that doesn't look right on a car, they can pull you over and then throw the book at you for all other violations, whether they legitimately know if the stuff is illegal for street use or not... it would be my duty to prove it to be legal (DOT approved, or the Candian equivalent?) later on to get the inspection passed.

The cop seemed to be sort of 'with it' as he asked me if my H&R springs were the street versions or the race versions... either way he believed they weren't DOT approved and made a mention of it on the ticket.

The cop seemed to be sort of 'with it' as he asked me if my H&R springs were the street versions or the race versions... either way he believed they weren't DOT approved and made a mention of it on the ticket.

Alot of cops are "car guys" just like we are. Gettin' hassled, while no fun, is sometimes just part of the whole modding experience.

My lifted Jeep has some "technically" illegal mods(flush mounted LED tails w/no reflectors is one). I try not to drive it like an a$$hat. If I do get stopped, I still have the "legal" stuff I took off. Same goes for the Subi. I keep everything that I might need to put back on to be "legal" again.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Archived