LegacyGT.com

Gear Ratio comparison and question

highlander

First off... I searched but couldn't find the thread I was looking for.

Somewhere, someone posted a breakdown comparing the gear ratio and speeds of the 5MT vs. 6MT for the LGT.

Please help provide the link.

Also, does anyone know if someone makes gears for Subie Trannies other than the stock gears?

My idea is to have the 5MT gears installed in a 6MT with the missing Taller 6th gear. I'm not looking for a 200MPH car, just one that will turn 70-80 MPH around 2500RPM.

Thanks for the help.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

yeah, but I was hoping to keep my rear differential gears.

If I could maintain a final of 4.11 then I need a taller 6th than stock.

I like the current 1-5 gears and don't need them any closer.

Thanks though.

I guess flares and some 10-33s would drop the engine speed on the highway huh Xenonk?

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

how fast are you planning to drive??? any case, if you are planning to go through all this trouble just to drop some rpms at a certain speed, I can tell you right now that it's not going be worth it for all the work to not just swap out the tranny, but to find a taller 6th that will work in the 6MT because you are keeping the final drive to be 4.11. Even if you do swap to 3.91s (which is probably easier), you're not lowering the rpms too much.. I did a few comparisons last month with the 5MT with different tire size comparisons and different final drive numbers... you would have do something really significant to bring 6th gear to some insanely tall number to get what you want if you plan to keep the 4.11.
Keefe

how fast are you planning to drive???

No faster than I do now.:icon_wink

any case, if you are planning to go through all this trouble just to drop some rpms at a certain speed, I can tell you right now that it's not going be worth it for all the work to not just swap out the tranny, but to find a taller 6th that will work in the 6MT because you are keeping the final drive to be 4.11. Even if you do swap to 3.91s (which is probably easier), you're not lowering the rpms too much.. I did a few comparisons last month with the 5MT with different tire size comparisons and different final drive numbers... you would have do something really significant to bring 6th gear to some insanely tall number to get what you want if you plan to keep the 4.11.

I wasn't hoping for a topspeed rocket, just better highway mileage while retaining the 0-60 performance. Like i said, I'm just looking at the possibility. I think it should be obtainable to get 30MPG in our cars with our performance being unaffected. GM does the same thing in the vette (but they have more HP/Tq to play with too).

the car actually performs well at 3000 rpms.. what you dont want to do is to put strain/load on the car travelling with a higher gear by trying to floor it and make it go.. switch your computer readout at the clock to show real-time MPG and try different throttle inputs with a higher and lower gears travelling at the similar speeds that overlap from gear to gear, you'll notice that the throttle input is crucial when it comes to getting better fuel mileage (you can see where a little nudge on the throttle can be a big difference of 5 or even 10 mpg while driving down the highway).. I have gotten as high as 29 mpg during my long trips.. this can only be done by ease on the throttle just enough to keep the car at speed..

Just practice with that, and you'll get it.. your goal is to make that real-time mpg readout to read as high as possible at all times.. when you do, you'll definitely get some higher numbers.

Keefe

Archived