LegacyGT.com

How to Align your headlights! if you don't know now you do.

MiniStiGuy

The industry of HID is only an issue because all the idiots out there put them into housings that were never designed for them. In a projected housing you have optics on your side and so the mitigated risk of blinding everyone is significantly if not completely gone if they are aimed correctly. A reflective housing should never be used for road driving HID's and should remain as it began in the outdoors offroading off the streets.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

messed with vertical height a bit tonight and got them how i want them. Snapped this pic on sort of an uphill (not level ground), prob like 50 feet out, hence the slope to the left but it allowed me to show the glare on the white building. I really want to fill those holes , is it hard to do? should i just retrofit lenses if im going in there?

also at about 7pm from the center of the beams there is a hint of no light, i read this is from the bulb wire not being at dead center down the back am i correct ?

35w 6000k - orange ebay box with asian writing all over it

http://oi46.tinypic.com/263zy3p.jpg

Edited by stuck686

1. The glare is there to light up street signs and does not need to be filled in. It's a preference thing more than anything. (mine aren't filled in this time but they have been in the past)

2. The dark spot is from the return wire on the bulb. To fix this issue you have to modify the bulbs so that you can rotate the return wire to be at the 6º position (facing down) in the housing. (this is just a matter of sanding/grinding down the bulb's flat surface area to make it so you can rotate it down in the housing.)

3. It appears that either the left or right headlight's horizontal aim is pretty close and can probably be moved out wider. (see image below)

Notice how the point at which the arc flares up it is evenly spaced based on the distance from the left-right headlight. Light up along that parking space line with your left tire and adjust the driver side to be 2" to the right of the line @25ft. Mark that location (Line 4) on the wall and then measure the the distance to the right and mark the point that the passenger headlights needs to be at. Then you just adjust the passenger headlight over to meet that point and you should have a good horizontal alignment.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u280/garrett804/Picture2copy.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

what annoys me is if im at a slight slope down alot of my left does not light up the road i can see the beam end. And if im im coming up at a stoplight the left side of the cars bumper in front is not lit up.

drivers right too far right??

im going to mess with it tonight. Which way does the horizontal bolt rotate to go left?

are fogs the same in all 4th gen legacys ? 08+ looks little different but it might as well be different cover. trying to locate fog on ebay since mine is cracked but there is no specification for different years

08+ fogs are totally different from 05-07, not only is the size different, but 05-07 are projectors and 08+ are not.

also...is that the best standard bulb for our low beams?

http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html

Yep, I've heard through here that those are the best bulbs for the Legacy.

Question though, I tried aligning my headlights but the only adjustment I could reach was the vertical one, and I turned it a few times with no result. How vigorously do you have to turn for it to make any degree of change? I also don't get why you'd have to take the headlight out to reach the horizontal adjuster (if I understand correctly) since I couldn't reach mine.

the horizontal ones have the cap over them so you just have to remove he cap and then you can reach them with the lights on the car.

It's normal to see the cutoff while going down a slope to a small degree but it sounds like yours may be to low. I'd recommend adjusting them according to my adjustment instructions.

• 10 months later...
Sorry to bump. I tried adjusting tonight, my vertical adjustments worked fine. However the horizontal on the passenger headlight wasn't moving at all. I didn't try the drivers side since it was fine. Any ideas on why it won't move?

Unless the mount piece inside the light is stripped and it isn't already maxed out one direction it should adjust. Counter-clockwise turns will move the light on the drivers side in more but on the passenger side it aims it out more.

It was so off before, it was at a 45 degree angle or so. I got it to move some, but then it just stopped. I turned it for about 2 minutes straight and it didn't move at all.

which was is it off? Pointing in or pointing out?

Passanger was pointing way to the left, across the car. I was able to adjust it a little closer to center, then it stopped moving. Is there anyway the bulb could be not in correctly, and I got to the limit of adjustment?

are your projectors hitting the shroud and preventing them from moving?

just something to check because i thought my adjustment screws were effed up for dayys until i realized my projectors were just physically blocked from aiming whichever way because it hit the shroud. so many headaches x.x

are your projectors hitting the shroud and preventing them from moving?

just something to check because i thought my adjustment screws were effed up for dayys until i realized my projectors were just physically blocked from aiming whichever way because it hit the shroud. so many headaches x.x

I'm thinking its something like this, I'll check tomorrow when I go out to my car.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi All,

Any hints on how to get to the alignment screws on the driver's side? It looks to me like I am going to have to move the battery. I'd rather not mess with that if I don't have to. I know I have to move the air clearner stuff on the other side.

Thanks,

Sean

• I Donated
Hi All,

Any hints on how to get to the alignment screws on the driver's side? It looks to me like I am going to have to move the battery. I'd rather not mess with that if I don't have to. I know I have to move the air clearner stuff on the other side.

Thanks,

Sean

I used a crescent wrench on mine, slow but effective

Remove the dust cover from the low beam area.

Get a small ratchet and 8mm socket and you'll have plenty of room to adjust the vertical aiming bolt. The horizontal one doesn't usually have to be adjusted from the factory but if you do have to get to it then it requires a knuckle connection to get the socket on there.