LegacyGT.com

How to Align your headlights! if you don't know now you do.

MiniStiGuy

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The high beam and lows are both adjusted the same way. Unfortunately when you adjust the lows the highs move at the same time. The only way to do it separately would be to have the headlamp apart and to adjust the high's then put the low beam on and manually push it farther back on the mount and forcefully adjust it as well.

I decided to check the alignment after and at stock it was way low going by the alignment write up anyone else have to adjust it up that much? I talking like 1 foot up from the 25ft away rule. Part of me feel like I i moved it up a lot.

Those are caused by a bulb having the return wire not at the 6'o clock position on the bulb usually with a "kit" bulb that this occurs. To get rid of it you have to shave off the tab and rotate the bulb so the return wire is straight down.

Gotcha. Thank you very much.

Those are caused by a bulb having the return wire not at the 6'o clock position on the bulb usually with a "kit" bulb that this occurs. To get rid of it you have to shave off the tab and rotate the bulb so the return wire is straight down.

Ok so I clipped the tab that sticks out on the side. This didn't take care of it however. So I just clipped the rounded portion off too. That worked and I was able to have the return at the bottom. Also, the shadow, I assume, doesn't go away right? It just moves it to the top right? Thanks.

Edited by DR.1337

what do you mean top right? It should not have a shadow at all if you have the return wire at 6 position.

Ok as far as the shadow being projected there is none. However if you look at the projector itself, you can tell where the return wire is. Here is what I mean:

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv260/1337ruski/IMG_20110701_165105.jpg

• 4 months later...

Google "how to adjust headlights" This is TOP five results. Good stuff!

I need to adjust my Prius headlights after lowering it. My headlights look like they are pointed straight to the ground and my cuttoff hits 10 feet away from the front of the car. GHEY

That's also pretty sweet that I'm in the Top 5 considering I made this just so that all of these guys could get the best output possible without blinding oncoming drivers.

A big pet peeve of mine is people that have misaligned headlights and those that put HID kits in a reflective housing that was never designed for them.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Mega Users

took me like 30 minutes to completely understand the steps. this is an excellent write up, one of the best on this site.

Question on horizantal alignment. It might sound stupid. I have HIDs coming in. Looking at the picture of your headlights properly aligned against the wall in post 1, and this may be just the way the picture was taken, it looks to me like the higher arc in your left headlight slightly fades into the higher arc in the right headlight. Is this in fact true, and a good horizantal guide for the right headlight?

Reason I'm asking is because Im not sure I will be able to see the start of the arc for the right headlight (= distance from center of car to center of proector) with the left HID beam flowing into it.

Im over thinking this, I think:lol:

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

:lol:

It's ok. So the lower section on both lights should be at the same height (The lower tape marker for DOT specification) The higher arc should also kind of end up the same but its not as important as having the lower arc's lined up.

I can redo a drawing tomorrow once I get home to help out.

• Mega Users
:lol:

It's ok. So the lower section on both lights should be at the same height (The lower tape marker for DOT specification) The higher arc should also kind of end up the same but its not as important as having the lower arc's lined up.

I can redo a drawing tomorrow once I get home to help out.

haha I think we are good to go. I think I'm being a casual perfectionist, my soon to come headlight alignment with these instruction is gonna be just fine.

I literally just had to read thru what I wrote twice to understand what I was talking about. Talk about the ultimate mindfcuk

Thanks!

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

• 3 weeks later...