LegacyGT.com

5EAT / 4EAT Auto Shift Improvement

My 05 GT

LordJim,

IPT had my LGT for about 3 weeks, bad timing with holidays. Keep inmind that complete 5EAT rebuild is not something that can be done in one day.

Yes, 1 entire day for valve body work. Get there very early, adjustments, road tests and adjustments then you are out the door.

Lets put it this way, I'll be there for the entire day to have John tune my valve body. Why this wasn't done you asked. Because someone left or screwed up a ground or gounds and car was miss firing...

Then noticed a BIG dent at the bottom of the TMIC during new turbo install at TDC. Rich at Precision never removed my TMIC when troubleshooting, so I guess you all know who drop my TMIC :( Hey, TMIC is not leaking.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, i have no choice since i am in ALASKA and IPT is in NEW JERSEY. car will be torn apart and valve bodies/solenoid removed this saturday. I'll be shipping it next day to Ty at IPT who will get it done same day (which is why i am paying a little more for it to be top priority for that day). He will then ship it next day to me so that by the following saturday, I will be able to have the car back together and out for some tuning.

I don't expect my tranny to not ever blow up, however, if i can prolong it's life, then it's worth it. as it stands, the shifts are sloppy and it's slipping so if the gearing isn't tightened up more, then i fear the tranny will go out (this is what my techs here are telling me). and i tend to go with their recommendations. besides, they are currently (as i'm upstairs) they are downstairs in my garage finishing up a dtech install for an 04 STI that we installed an FP Green turbo yesterday (weekend project). this damn 5EAT has them all puzzled however, and they keep telling me to just do a tranny swap so they can go back to business on it rather than relying on someone else somewhere else to help me. :(

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Agreed. However, in my case the goal isn't a bullet proof transmission that I can power brake to 3500RPM or take to the track. My goal is a transmission that is more likely to hold up to the relatively minor power modifications I plan on making. At this time those modifications include an up pipe, down pipe and a pro tune.

While this transmission work certainly isn't a guarantee that things will never break, I do believe that it's a bit of added insurance.

-

Jim

Is there any evidence that the vavle body mod increases durability of the 5EAT?

Is IPT a member here? (not that it means that much I realize it's possible they have enough business as it is - just curious)

OK, i didn't take them out of the bag since it's a bit dripping.... :(

but here are what the valve bodies and solenoids look like (wrapped in plastic in a box to be shipped)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/trdvibe/2005%20Subaru%20Legacy%20GT/CIMG0582.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/trdvibe/2005%20Subaru%20Legacy%20GT/CIMG0583.jpg

I will be shipping these Next Day to IPT tomorrow, so they should hopefully arrive by Tuesday morning. Ty told me he could do it same day and get it back out to me by the following morning. That hopefully means I will have them back in hand no later than Thursday and should be able to reinstall them either later Thursday or by Saturday. :) I'll keep you all informed on how it goes.

fingers crossed for you, vibe :)

thanks! me too!

hubby's getting really pissed off that this is costing so much money for the swap. :( he calls it a money pit and thinks i should have just bought a damn STI! LOL

but we are... HIS! :lol:

no, he's a stickler. it'll be stock for the first year, he wants to run in the stock STI class for solo this year. plus, keep in mind, he's coming out of a 130 hp car to 300 hp car. BIG difference! we MAY go with an AP though to just start.

he's coming out of a 130 hp car to 300 hp car. BIG difference!

Wow! That's a hell of a difference! Make sure he's careful, OK?

we MAY go with an AP though to just start.

Just to start. ;)

*winkwink* *nudgenudge*

-

Jim

well, teh AP would be my doing... there's a reason he won't let me touch his car. LOL. but then again, i don't want him to have the faster car. so that means I either continue modding the hell out of my 5EAT, or just get an STI and mod that too. i'm waiting to see the 08 sti hatch. if it's not too fugly (the wing kills me), then i may end up with that later down the road.

i want to keep my 5EAT though and continue to mod it. not too many people have modified their auto's so it's more or less having a uniqueness.

I'm waiting for some diesel options before I consider any new car. TDI makes me happy.

Also, I completely agree with your comment on the wing. I hate on today's STI, I hate it more on the upcoming model. Ick.

-

Jim

Archived