LegacyGT.com

5EAT / 4EAT Auto Shift Improvement

My 05 GT

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

VTGT,

Only with 312 whp not 317 whp. :lol: Getting my VB tune at IPT next week. Englishtown will be open soon.. :)

I'd like to see jersey glock with his performance tranny and the works. 3000 rpm launch, 317 whp, any guesses on his time? His 60 foot would be crazy...

even at lower perf. levels.

look at the 0-60 times of the solstice GXP, its ~5.7 for the 5MT, ~5.2 for the 5AT

Amen! Here's an example of a good auto outperforming a manual:

0-60 mph 3.7 sec (manual). 3.4 sec.(auto)

That's from here: http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/911/911-turbo/featuresandspecs/

-

Jim

a fully built auto trans is gonna be faster then a 5mt.

no lifting to shift, able to build more boost for launching, faster shifts then a human can, etc.

yes, but that's FULLY built, not stock! :lol:

however, I believe my 60' times were usually better than almost all the WRX's and about the same for the stock STI's. so once i get this done and the car up in the air, VB out and back, car put back together again, I think the shifting will be nice and crisp, more so than before. :) then it'll be time for some datalogging and tuning!

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

god, i wish i could do that! just reserved my rental car for 8 days for next weekend. :( but he said he can get the part done same day. however, it won't require him to lift the car up in the air to get the parts out or reinstall. I'm sure it will cost a little more for the extra work.

Found this...

Modified Pressure Control Solenoid

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/images/inventory/nissan_sol1.jpg

IPT Modified Pressure Control Solenoid Assembly for Subaru Transmissions provides firmer shifts and improved transmission durability due to increased line pressure rise in response to throttle opening. Please call for special pricing when purchasing with a modified valve body. Price: $249

ImportPerformanceTrans.com

if you look at the link you clicked on to get there, it mentions explicitly : early style 4EAT without spin-on filter ONLY.

Glock, do you think he would let us come up with the car in the am, and then pick it up that evening? OK, stupid question...I mean as you had the work done, is he able to turn it around fast enough?

I fired off an email to IPT the other day and got this as a response.

We don't do core exchanges because of interchange reasons, however, we frequently have our customers drive to our shop for a one day valve body modification.

Please feel free to give us a call on Monday and we can find a day that will work out for you to bring your vehicle up.

So, for those of us who are local (or can be local for a day or so) it sounds like we can stop in to IPT for the full service. That makes me happy.

-

Jim

well, i would think this would clean up the shifting on any 5EAT, regardless of 'stage" you are in. However, I haven't sent mine in yet so i can't speak from experience. give me about 2 weeks and i'll tell you more.

I fired off an email to IPT the other day and got this as a response.

So, for those of us who are local (or can be local for a day or so) it sounds like we can stop in to IPT for the full service. That makes me happy.

-

Jim

[/size][/font]

woohoo +1

it's little things like this that almost make it worth living on tons of toxic effluvia :icon_cool

with mods come breakage. torque braking with built/modified internals makes cases vulnerable to added stress, leakage, and eventual crackage.

so before everyone jumps on these upgrades and goes dragging, remember the weakest link theory, because when a case cracks, it's more than $600 to fix. these trannies are far from bulletproof.

also, axles, diffs, and hubs feel the added shock too. if you are not prepared to spend a lot of money down the road, the casual observer may be wise to let some hardcores do this first and see how their bits-n-pieces hold up. my .02.

Gotta agree with him ^^ faster firmer shifts are easier on the clutches, but harder on everything else. Don't get me wrong less clutch slippage also means less heat created which is good all around, but the sudden "grab of a firmer shift means a more sudden impact on all the hard parts.

Either way I am interested, just a matter of how firm the shifts are, I want a sporty daily driver, not a neck snapping race car feel. Someone do this and report back.

In regards to the down time, maybe we could all pitch in on a used valve body to put in our cars while the one is getting shipped back and forth, we could take turns using it. I would have a hard time not having my car for a few days as I wait for my valve body to travel back and forth across the country.

I know the logistics and trust involved are iffy, but........

with mods come breakage. torque braking with built/modified internals makes cases vulnerable to added stress, leakage, and eventual crackage.

so before everyone jumps on these upgrades and goes dragging, remember the weakest link theory, because when a case cracks, it's more than $600 to fix. these trannies are far from bulletproof.

also, axles, diffs, and hubs feel the added shock too. if you are not prepared to spend a lot of money down the road, the casual observer may be wise to let some hardcores do this first and see how their bits-n-pieces hold up. my .02.

Agreed. However, in my case the goal isn't a bullet proof transmission that I can power brake to 3500RPM or take to the track. My goal is a transmission that is more likely to hold up to the relatively minor power modifications I plan on making. At this time those modifications include an up pipe, down pipe and a pro tune.

While this transmission work certainly isn't a guarantee that things will never break, I do believe that it's a bit of added insurance.

-

Jim

Archived