LegacyGT.com

GENERAL REFERENCE (Terms, Model Codes, etc)

I really hope this isnt too off topic, but ive just purchased a 99 B4 RSK Twin Turbo JDM spec. Does anyone know the procedure to get this thing to the states? or any other english speaking country? If anyone could point me in the right direction i would really appreciate it. Oh and if anyone does know, please let me know through my IM.

Nick

Edited by RSK99

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not to get too sarcastic here, but you either have a turbo or you don't. That is the difference. Seeing you are NA, you don't. There should be some kits out there, happy hunting.

If someone on here has more info on a NA exhaust systems, can you please add that info here.

If I had something important to say, I wouldn't tell you anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Correct. Except SIA (Subaru Indiana Automotive) kept making manual LGT wagons until MY2008 (inclusive) for Canadian market and still makes 2.5i wagons for MY2009 for them.

Of course Legacy GT wagons with manual transmissions are available in the rest of the world (except Europe).

Unclemat, you have two 05 LGT's? What can you tell me about them? Right now I'm driving an '01 2.5 RS that's pretty much set up for the track. I have been looking into possibly getting an '05+ LGT Wagon that would be a little more comfortable as a daily driver.

I know it's probably a long shot, but what are the chances of getting an '07+ LGT Wagon with a manual from Canada? I just love that next body style up from the '05/'06 wagons.

I've been wondering, what does the MY infront of the year stand for? (make/year or something?)

MY = model year

The facelifted body style is MY2008+. Chances finding one? Good luck! No new left as of last March or so (I was interested in buying new one from Canada when they had $8000 rebate).

What can I tell you. Well, the entire board here is about these cars so you have plenty of reading. We obviously like these cars hence we bought two.

Ah yes, I see now. For some reason I thought 05-06 was one body style and 07-08 was the other. I will be doing plenty of reading whenever I can. :-)

So there were no 06-07 USDM wagons with a manual transmission made or just no GT wagons? Just trying to understand what's out there a bit better.

On another note, can anyone tell me anything about importing a subaru or where I might find that kind of info? I guess what I'm asking is, is it a huge deal to bring a car from Canada to the US? I'm sure there are some tests and stuff but I don't know...

Not sure what the process is for bringing from Canada to the states. Probably varies from state to state.

I did it the other way around. Brought it from the US to here in Canada.

It might be worth while to sell the car here in Canada then go to the states and buy a new car for less money. Price it out and see if it is even worth the hassle.

FYI, after shipping, inspections, taxes, jumping through hoops etc. I saved over $12,000 by buying in the US.

• 1 month later...
can some one help me my turbo went in my 2006 subaru legacy the other day took it to the dealer. They have all way gone to bat for me but i have to help me self this time.. The warranty company complete car is who i have my extended with. Subaru told me that the cat broke apart from my up pipe and went in to the turbo and thats what broke the turbo. The warranty said that they will not cover it because the cat is what caused the turbo to break. In my warranty it covers intake manifold and exhaust manifolds and is telling me that they are different . I dont know to much about this but is it not one piece and the cat is in side the intake manifold. Can some one help it a 2,000 fix omg just need some good info to help my case help thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation.

It feeds back some of the exhaust into the manifold which is used to decrease the combustion temperature and through that decrease the NOx emissions.

But at the same time it increases the fuel consumption.

453747.png

quote=ehsnils;2224975]On US cars (and possibly on some other markets) you shall have it visible through the windscreen.

On all cars it's stamped on the firewall in the engine compartment.

Whats a firewall you mean the silver plate!!!:confused:

quote=ehsnils;2224975]On US cars (and possibly on some other markets) you shall have it visible through the windscreen.

Whats a firewall you mean the silver plate!!!:confused:

Yeppp pretty sure its right up there along with your engine code and color code.

EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation.

It feeds back some of the exhaust into the manifold which is used to decrease the combustion temperature and through that decrease the NOx emissions.

But at the same time it increases the fuel consumption.

No EGR on turbo Subbies.... AVCS can viewed as being sorta-EGR. By advancing intake you can get combustion before the all the exahust fumes fly out of the cylinder.

Edited by unclemat

On US cars (and possibly on some other markets) you shall have it visible through the windscreen.

Whats a firewall ? You mean the silver plate!!!:confused:
This rectangular "Silver plate" does indeed typically have the VIN as well as numerical trim and colour codes, and sometimes date of manufacture.

Often times the "Silver plate" is riveted to the firewall, although it can also be located on the drivers door jam or pretty much anywhere under the hood.

The "firewall" is the body panel behind the motor that forms a barrier between the front of the passenger compartment and the the back of the engine compartment (on a front mounted engine).

At any rate, in addition to the "silver panel", the VIN is typically stamped on the firewall itself. the Silver plate can easily be "doctored" by drilling out the pop-rivets, removing the original "silver plate" and then substituting either a "forged" silver plate or a silver plate removed from another donor car.

Doctoring the VIN that is stamped into the firewall is difficult to perform.

• 2 weeks later...
I get the LGT, what's the "CAN"? Canadian American Noob? Okay, not. I figure it has something to do with either tire presurre monitoring (doubtful) or stability control (more likely) since I've seen "can" referred to as something recently mandated in the USA. Both of those were recently mandated, me thinks. Its not the new CAFE standards as those are not yet mandated. Could be something to do with Californian something or another, but then somebody's lying since they said CAN was something mandated in the USA, nationally. Sure, Califronia's in the USA, but it ain't the whole the USA. So, what is CAN?

If you are talking about what I think you are, it's called a CAN bus system. In simple terms its a way to transmit information and cut down on the wiring used in a car and amount of sensors needed. So lets take a coolant temperature sensor (CTS). The engine control module (ECM0, the transmission control module (TCM), the instrument cluster, and even the climate control module all need a coolant temperature reading. Instead of haviing a temp sensor for each module they use one sensor that sends its information to a module (in this case usually the ECM). THe ECM then takes the information and puts it out on the CAN bus. Any module that is looking for the information now can get it. With Audi's system they only use two wires for the CAN bus also which saves a lot of wiring on top of not needing all those extra sensors.