LegacyGT.com

STi engine in a legacy

coolkent1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah i think it would pretty good with the Rio Red and a black insert... it definetly looks great on your car thats for sure! how did you mount yours?i didnt see if it came with any hardware...

I think the bolt locations from the original stock grill are used.

Here's a pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/kraziken/Subaru/DSCN1451.jpg

Wow so this means that my dream of turning a 96 Legacy wagon into the sleeper from hell is just! Now all I need is the engine and all the wiring and such...... *plans chaos*

hehe I don't know about you guys, but most "racers" would just blow off a Leg Wagon..... maybe they'd want to second guess that..

Wow so this means that my dream of turning a 96 Legacy wagon into the sleeper from hell is just! Now all I need is the engine and all the wiring and such...... *plans chaos*

hehe I don't know about you guys, but most "racers" would just blow off a Leg Wagon..... maybe they'd want to second guess that..

Well the BD/BG generation should have had more power to begin with. However, the 2.5L did meet the competion at the time I guess.

Well the BD/BG generation should have had more power to begin with. However, the 2.5L did meet the competion at the time I guess.

Well the real issue is that the BD/BG Legacy's in the U.S got shortchanged. I believe the JDM counterparts had 280hp in turbocharged form. We wouldn't have to worry about all this swap business if we had the turbo engines to begin with.

Dirty rat bastards.

Well the real issue is that the BD/BG Legacy's in the U.S got shortchanged. I believe the JDM counterparts had 280hp in turbocharged form. We wouldn't have to worry about all this swap business if we had the turbo engines to begin with.

Dirty rat bastards.

Agreed. I mean, at least 200 hp would have been decent and attainable enough.

Agreed. I mean, at least 200 hp would have been decent and attainable enough.

Yeah, and somehow I get stuck with the 2.2L ..... Why does it seem Japan shorts us with the powerful engines? I mean I know we get larger engines than some other countries (my shop manual has info for the 1.8L ....), but I mean I would have thoroughly enjoyed a turbo Legacy in my year.... oh well, a swap would still be amazing. :cool:

See my Car description...

<-------------------------

Already in the works my friend!! Muahhaahahaha :icon_twis

:munch:

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
The EJ series engine can fit into any Subaru made after 1992.

So what about the 1990.. If i wanted to put a WRX or sti motor in it, would it be a gigantic hassle? moreso than if i used a 1992 or later legacy?

So what about the 1990.. If i wanted to put a WRX or sti motor in it, would it be a gigantic hassle? moreso than if i used a 1992 or later legacy?

Should be fine.

1992 is the year because before that the Loyale was still in production which can't fit all of the EJ engines.

Should be fine.

1992 is the year because before that the Loyale was still in production which can't fit all of the EJ engines.

If you want to be peantic, it's actually any EJ subaru from 1989. But that's JDM. If it's a legacy, an impreza, a forrester, or tribeca, any and all of their engines swap in and out no sweat. 90% of the time you need to reloom though. Ah, also applies to EZ's, and EG's The EG33 can be put into an impreza (which therefore also means a legacy), it's been done.

Dirty rat bastards.

275HP at the flywheel (206kw), DOHC 2.0L Twin turbo, EJ20R. The 20R came with STi heads, STi Yellow top injectors (440cc) and fancy things like that. And was the first Spec B, but "Spec B" is a new term, they are (were) simply referred to as GTB's. The EJ20R legacy's were from '96 to '98, the less powerful GT engine, the EJ20H was from '93 to '98. Then in '98 the BH/BE models came out with the phase 2 engines. The Auto EJ206, and manual EJ208. Both twin turbo also. The 208 was again 275hp, the 206 was 240hp.

Aw heck, while i'm at it. The JDM legacy's were all BD and BG's, the BK is a 'world market' (NZDM, USDM etc.) chassis. They came in 1.8L(LX and probably some others), 2.0L DOHC (TS-R, and again, probably other models), 2.2L (Brighton), 2.5 DOHC (250T), and 2.0L DOHC twin turbo (GT wagon, RS Sedan). The TS-R's, 250T's, and GT's/RS's all had Bilstein editons released too, after 96.

I just happen to own a 98 GTB Limited, but i converted it to STi cause the twin turbo system is a royal pain in the arse. VF39 Power on a 2.0L Yo. ;)

• 2 years later...
@rougeben83 and Kraziken, Bro how did you do it I need some help from some peeps who have done the swap, I got an 98' Legacy 2.5GT wagon and I have an 08' sti engine ready to drop, can you tell me in detail on how and what i would need to do the complete swap, so I don't have to go around like a chicken with it's head cut off. It would be a big headache saver you know. I really want to get it in before the fall season. If you could help me out man i would appreciate it allot, Thanks.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I researched doing this myself awhile back... what scared me was the 25+ hours of wire harness work if you know what you are doing, if you don't, holy moly... there is a thread here on someone doing it right now, it looks scary...

EDIT: Here... http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/my-new-project-building-s401-164248.html

Archived