LegacyGT.com

STi engine in a legacy

coolkent1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that'd be the ultimate sleeper!
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Could a STi engine fit into 1998 legacy 2.5. Just wondering.

You can do almost any kind of engine swap. Beware! It is an atomic onion. Each time you peel off a layer, it get bigger, as in lots of unforeseen problems.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

• 3 weeks later...
You can do almost any kind of engine swap. Beware! It is an atomic onion. Each time you peel off a layer, it get bigger, as in lots of unforeseen problems.

very very true. i couldnt agree more. ive been dealing with little 'issues' with getting a skyline motor into my 240sx the last 2 years. its in, but it certainly doesnt want to start.... :mad: the term, 'nickel and dime my ass to death' has become a bitter reality for me. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty good since I just got it running again. I haven't driven the car in almost 3 months since breaking my original tranny.

I just got a JDM 6 speed installed. I'm waiting on a few parts to get the DCCD in.

I also had to split the shift boot like a banana near the top to get the 6 speed shifter in. I'm going to order one of those custom shift boots from Redline goods.

Then if we quit having terrible weather around here, I'll shine her up and get some more pics.

I'd like to get an ECU flash too, but I think the stock interior is starting to get to me. New seats are in my future, I just don't know what type yet.

-------

How long for your project car to get up and running?

-------

How long for your project car to get up and running?

Awe man so you ended up blowing out your OG tranny?? That sucks. Well now you're rollin with the 6 speed though. :cool: So how's that going for ya? Are you liking the gear ratio?

As for my ride :rollyeyes: It just seems like something comes up everytime I've got some cash. I'm sure you can relate. LOL But I just moved back home, and I'm actually saving money now. So I'm thinking soon, But not soon enough, ya know?? :D

Try and get some pics going soon, I haven't seen any newer pics in a while. :) If ya want good weather come over to SoCal. I just saw in the news last night that this is the DRYEST RAIN Season we've had, EVER.

:munch:

Awe man so you ended up blowing out your OG tranny?? That sucks. Well now you're rollin with the 6 speed though. :cool: So how's that going for ya? Are you liking the gear ratio?

As for my ride :rollyeyes: It just seems like something comes up everytime I've got some cash. I'm sure you can relate. LOL But I just moved back home, and I'm actually saving money now. So I'm thinking soon, But not soon enough, ya know?? :D

Yeah, um cash. That is pretty much why the car sat for a few months getting no love.

The 5 speed Legacy/Wrx hybrid tranny only lasted a year. No surprise that it was 3rd gear that busted. I never launched it really hard, but I often got on the gas in 3rd. The day it exploded, I was just motoring around town doing some shopping, so it must have weakened from something earlier. It had also snowed, and driving out of my driveway I heard a small pop. I'm positive the cold had something to do with it breaking.

As for the six speed, so far I really like it. I'm going to test drive a US STI 6 speed, just to make sure the JDM shorter 5th and 6th will make me happy. In a run of blind luck, the tranny that got shipped to us was JDM and not USDM as I had expected, but I learned later that a few US STI owners like swapping for the shorter 5th and 6th. I was concerned 6th gear might be too low for crusing/gas mileage, but it doesn't seem that bad.

What modifications have to be done to the harness? Do you use the STi or Legacy ECU? My engine's not doing too good and I'm looking into the swap.

Also, what version of the motor did you get? Ver.8 prices that I've seen are around $8-9k. :icon_eek:

What modifications have to be done to the harness? Do you use the STi or Legacy ECU? My engine's not doing too good and I'm looking into the swap.

Also, what version of the motor did you get? Ver.8 prices that I've seen are around $8-9k. :icon_eek:

I have the STI ECU including the drive by wire throttle connected. Part of the STI wiring harness has to be spliced into the Legacy harness. I pretty much wanted all the power upgrade options of the STI possible to me, so a stage 2 ecu flash is in my future.

The engine I have is from an '04 USDM STI. My area has just passed some emission laws similar to California. I realy didn't want to deal with JDM motors. I couldn't get a straight answer on how people were passing emissions, so I didn't want the hassle of swapping ECU's back and forth just to pass.

USDM STI motors have come down in price as more wrecked STI's have become parts donors. If anyone is serious about a swap, just start stock piling parts. I had parts stock piled a year before I actually did any work. The labor (at least in my Subaru friendly area) is not that bad. The most expensive thing is the parts.

For 9k, it's possible to buy the STI engine and a six speed. It just takes some time and patience to find the right deal.

kraziken, where did you get that grill and how is the fittment? it looks good from the above picture.

I bought it used from a Nasioc member. However,for awhile, Rallitek sold this body piece for Legacies. It hasn't returned to their website, although I e-mailed them awhile ago and they still stocked it.

You can also check out ebay. In fact I think this auction is for the same grill.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBARU-95-99-LEGACY-JDM-S-GRILL-GRILLE-OUTBACK-GT-BG5_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33645QQihZ020QQitemZ300088315706QQrdZ1

i thought that was the one. I saw that same one you linked on ebay and i think i might bid on it. Maybe i'll give rallitek a shot and see if they still stock them as well. i thought i rememberd you getting it back before sl-i crashed but i could be wrong... how is the fittment on it?

i thought that was the one. I saw that same one you linked on ebay and i think i might bid on it. Maybe i'll give rallitek a shot and see if they still stock them as well. i thought i rememberd you getting it back before sl-i crashed but i could be wrong... how is the fittment on it?

It doesn't sit quite flush on the bottom of the GT bumper. I think it might be made for non GT bumper. But the difference is minimal. If you put a nice fresh coat of paint on it before installation it looks quite sharp in my opinion.

Archived