LegacyGT.com

Final: Disable Seat Belt Chime.

FYI. DO NOT disconnect the plug on the passenger side, this paticular plug is also connected along with the Airbag Sensor. The drivers side is not!!!!!

If I disconnect the passenger side will that just disable the airbag or cause it to blow? If we had it our way we would disable all of the airbags in the car.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took some pictures, my car is a 2005 outback xt limited w/ the auto transmission. It has the black leather ten thousand way adjustable electronic control drivers seat. :spin:

Forgive the blurry, it isn't the easiest place to take pictures, I'll try starting close and walking you out. It is the empty white receptacle on the far left, to its right is a yellow connected plug, on its left in these pictures you'll note a cord coming down with black shrink around it.

I undid the carpet on the back, it is held on with black elastic bands (not rocket science), then just reached in and got it done, it was uncomfortable but manageable. This did nothing other than take away the annoying ding, no engine lights were triggered, airbags didn't crawl out and take over the world, this does exactly what a person is looking for.

Lets give this a shot.

WP_000478_zps031f3345.thumb.jpg.54cb54c3f13dfac950ab7e1cc5a2a975.jpg

WP_000479_zps9f9d1a46.thumb.jpg.b9533fff3105a9b024ec763189eacd7f.jpg

WP_000480_zpsd030c9d0.thumb.jpg.915334945ee66d51175a9c0e198963f1.jpg

WP_000483_zpsa7e0cbe7.thumb.jpg.7e895b2d4172a6daff0f5d5cead6a861.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Outback 2006, not Legacy; 'same, same, but different'. The 20 clicks did NOT work for me. Tried many times.

Magic's solution worked for me!!!!! Magic.... Thx you for posting the photos. Here is my step by step, that took about 94min from google search to tools put away......

0. Driver seat all the way back

1a. Pull up carpet shield and

1b. Remove two bolts holding down driver side seat

2. Lift the seat, and put bar under edge to keep it back while doing work

3. Get some lighting... I used a halogen camping lantern behind seat, and a mini mag light under seat

4. Find white on white connector, as shown by Magic's photo... it's up, under the seat

5. Use a flathead screw driver (and light hammer taps) to knock plug off the metal clip

note-it's just a holder for this connector, it's not the actual connection

6a. Once removed, it's easy to gain access to the white on white connector

6b. Click the tiny tab and disconnect the two cables

7. Re-attach one side to the metal clip

8. Tuck the other cable away

9. Test your solution

10. Clean up and enjoy the silence

Note i: This does not disable chime when door is open. Disables chime when sitting in car without seat belt on.

(I have heard that chime ding so many times (1000, 5000, 10000?), that I have actually hear it in my sleep. So glad to have it partially gone.... but will never forget ;-))

Is there any reason we haven't just turned off the bell itself? There must be a bell under the dashboard (that's seems to be where the sound comes from), and clip the + or - lead on that.

Or do you all actually like the door/tailgate open warning beep, but just not the stupid seatbelt beep?

If anyone knows where the speaker is located which makes the beeping? Let's cut it off at the head!!!!

Cheers,

JD

I just saw this posting and will try to find, and then post pics...

Originally Posted by Lifeisgood View Post

FYI, I've taken a totally different approach to disabling the annoying chime on both an '05 and an '08 Outback and it worked out great. I removed the little black box under the dash, just right of the steering column that houses the actual speaker itself and just un-soldered the little round buzzer (it's just about an inch by half and inch) and just like that, no more dinging! I did take pictures but I'll have to dig around and see if I can find them in my spare time.

Edited by mapski99
Add content

Is there any reason we haven't just turned off the bell itself? There must be a bell under the dashboard (that's seems to be where the sound comes from), and clip the + or - lead on that...... will try to find, and then post pics...

The buzzer seems to be inside the black box under the steering column. By removing one of the cable connectors, noise went away... but so did a lot more functionality. Not sure which wire is the buzzer, or where the buzzer is exactly.

Looked for wiring diagrams online, but most are either part of a paid subscription or related to audio systems.

SAM_1731.jpg.f3bdd095b686a7b68371187ad941f403.jpg

SAM_1732.jpg.5e6a9a3b2f8ff5f26bc87c6a9847de08.jpg

• 3 months later...
Hopefully this solves my problem of the chime not going off even with the belt plugged in. The 20 clicks method has been in effect on my car for almost 10 yrs, but the chime came back and wouldn't go away this weekend. Been driving around with the chime going the ENTIRE time.:mad:

• 1 year later...
The buzzer seems to be inside the black box under the steering column. By removing one of the cable connectors, noise went away... but so did a lot more functionality. Not sure which wire is the buzzer, or where the buzzer is exactly.

Looked for wiring diagrams online, but most are either part of a paid subscription or related to audio systems.

Lol wrong

• 2 months later...
Wow, it actually was in the service manual:

3. CUTOFF FUNCTION

The warning given after 6 seconds since the ignition switch is turned ON, and the warning function that activates when the seat belt is unfastened while driving can be optionally cut off. The cutoff function is common for both the driver’s seat and passenger’s seat, and can be set with the driver’s seat buckle switch.

Temporary (TEMP) cutoff

1) How to cut: Repeat fastening and unfastening the driver’s seat belt for 3 times within 6 seconds after turning the ignition switch ON. (The setting is changed for both the driver’s seat and passenger’s seat.)

2) Setting lasts: While the ignition switch is turned ON until it is turned OFF. (The cutoff function is canceled when the ignition switch is once turned OFF.)

Permanent cutoff

1) How to cut: Repeat fastening and unfastening the driver’s seat belt for 20 times within 30 seconds after turning the ignition switch ON. Enabling and disabling cutting is done with the same operation.

(The setting is changed for both the driver’s seat and passenger’s seat.)

2) Setting lasts: Until the microprocessor is reset*.

The cutoff function is reset when the battery is removed (battery positive terminal disconnected) or when the body integrated unit is removed. The cutting function may also be reset when the engine is cranked with low battery voltage.

Will this information apply to a 2016 Legacy? I always wear my seat belt but like to remove it when in parking lots etc. and it turns on at such low speeds!

Thanks,

Ray

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
so time to bump this up. I noticed that my 2022 XT Touring has this sensor on my back seats as well. and unfortunately, doing the 20 click method does not disable those even though the fronts are. any update on this?