LegacyGT.com

Final: Disable Seat Belt Chime.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there another way of disabling the passenger side chime other than the 20click method that only seems to work for half of us who have tried it???

Yes there is check out this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62304&page=2

works great and not very hard to do, stops both drivers and passenger side from chiming after the initial one when you first turn on the car

Yes there is check out this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62304&page=2

works great and not very hard to do, stops both drivers and passenger side from chiming after the initial one when you first turn on the car

It stops both after changing just the driver? or inital chime?

(i am assuming you need to mod both seatbelt connectors)

It stops both after changing just the driver? or inital chime?

(i am assuming you need to mod both seatbelt connectors)

YEah it stops both chimes, there is no switch on the passenger belt, I took that one apart first to see what I needed to do. The only chime it does is when you first stick the key in and turn it on, after that no more chimes on either side. The silence is so wonderful

• 1 month later...
Well, that was short and sweet. The 20 click worked for me in the past, but I had my battery disconnected and I'll be damned if I could get it to work again. This worked great. However there was a real tangle of wires under my seat as the dealer had to replace the seat heater last winter. Did a horrible job getting everything squared away back under the seat. I might have to spend some time on my head cussin' because I can't stand it when stuff is out of place. Thanks Magic.
It is still ugly.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
It comes from one of the main controll boxes, no way to yank it with out affecting other features. Just unplug it from under the seat

So basically if you pull the main chime speaker - ALL the chimes all disabled, including the key in ignition chime, etc?

The wiring cluster looks very tightly wrapped. Probably have to cut the wiring harness to take it apart. Not easy but at least you can kill all the chimes for good.

Shouldn't affect the warranty as long as you don't jack with the wires and put everything back carefully.

Wow, it actually was in the service manual:

3. CUTOFF FUNCTION

The warning given after 6 seconds since the ignition switch is turned ON, and the warning function that activates when the seat belt is unfastened while driving can be optionally cut off. The cutoff function is common for both the driver’s seat and passenger’s seat, and can be set with the driver’s seat buckle switch.

Temporary (TEMP) cutoff

1) How to cut: Repeat fastening and unfastening the driver’s seat belt for 3 times within 6 seconds after turning the ignition switch ON. (The setting is changed for both the driver’s seat and passenger’s seat.)

2) Setting lasts: While the ignition switch is turned ON until it is turned OFF. (The cutoff function is canceled when the ignition switch is once turned OFF.)

Permanent cutoff

1) How to cut: Repeat fastening and unfastening the driver’s seat belt for 20 times within 30 seconds after turning the ignition switch ON. Enabling and disabling cutting is done with the same operation.

(The setting is changed for both the driver’s seat and passenger’s seat.)

2) Setting lasts: Until the microprocessor is reset*.

The cutoff function is reset when the battery is removed (battery positive terminal disconnected) or when the body integrated unit is removed. The cutting function may also be reset when the engine is cranked with low battery voltage.

Whoa, good information... you'd think they could have done less than 20 clicks and unclicks to disable it though, that is a lot...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I may have partially figured out the click and unclick 20 time problem. I had my battery out several weeks ago and despite my many attempts I could not get this method to work again. I tried to piece together different scenarios and here is what finally worked for me.

1) Buckle seat belt

2) Turn ignition to the "second" position

3) Wait until the seat belt light stops flashing

4) Do the click/unclick 20 times

5) I don't remember if I unbuckled and then turned the ignition back off, or left if buckled when I turned the ignition. I don't know if it matters or not.

Finally, it worked. I'll see if it stays set that way.

Folks, been off this forum for some while, but I keep getting

emails about new posts. I still don't understand why you don't

just unplug the little chime box from under the dashboard ?

(I posted about this much earlier in the thread,but nobody

seemed to have much response). It takes about 10 sec.

Yes, I think it disables the other chimes too. But it seems to me

like if you're the kind of person who doesn't feel the need to have

a little chime remind you to buckle your seatbelt, you probably

don't need or want one reminding you to take your keys out of the

iginition and put 'em in your pocket.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I just tried the 20 clicks in 30 seconds method in my '08 LGT and it works. The chime does play when I first start the car, for about 5 seconds, but then it never goes off again. Very cool, and no removal of parts required.

• 4 months later...

OK, I need to do this to my car, some day soon I hope.

On the passenger side...

If some one has the wiring diagram for this, you should be able to figure this out, but why not just remove the wires out of the connector that is related to the seat belt chime?? Then you can leave the airbag wires in place. It shouldn't be that hard to do with a small jeweler's flat blade screw driver. I remove wires from Molex connectors at work all the time. There is usually a small tab that holds them in place. One style is on the connector itself, and the other style is a metal tab on the connector attached to the wire itself that holds to the plastic. This MAY work if the 2 can work independently from each other, but I have a feeling this may not be the case. Can one one confirm this???

If I had something important to say, I wouldn't tell you anyway.

• 3 months later...

OK so the unplug wire method seems to work the best and doesn't damage anything.

If I understand correcly it only controls the seatbelt so you will still get chime if door is open. :(

No easy way around that.

Also, I have the navigation unit under the seat.

I hope it is easy to get to.

I have pulled the seat before (navigation hack so I can input while in motion)

but dont' feel like taking the seat off today.

I will try to find the plug and see if I can get to it.

thanks!

• 1 month later...

20 click method worked well in the past - but wont stick for more than a day now.

Pulled this plug from the rear - seat all the way up and back all the way up.

Works like a charm!!!!

Thanks, Ben

• 1 month later...

What a mess...

Does this work on 08s? I disconnected mine yesterday and felt really confident about it, bolted the seat back on and amazingly i still hear the chime. I followed the image in the 1st post to the key, white on white connector with that blue mark on the connector.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know if this works on '09s? I unplugged the white on white connector last night and tried driving around my cul de sac to see if it work and the light looked like it was disabled, but the chime still came on. Any advice?

My idea was correct.... turns out if your car is no longer accepting the 20 click method it is probably due to your battery.

I had the original battery in the car.

20 click method worked when I first bought my new car with zero miles.

Worked for a year or 2. Then it would not retain the 20 click method.

Almost started tearing wires apart but then decided to buy a new battery.

20 click method worked and has stayed active since...

so if the battery gets old it starts to loose memory functions... my guess...

20 click method worked well in the past - but wont stick for more than a day now.

Pulled this plug from the rear - seat all the way up and back all the way up.

Works like a charm!!!!

Thanks, Ben