LegacyGT.com

Newb Q? Why no Twin-Turbo for us?

Interesting how most true dyno charts cross horsepower and torque at 5252 rpm wheras that one doesn't. Just a thought. Regardless, the stock power dip would be uncomfortable in thought at least if you ask me. Would make me second guess the car too much, at least until I got used to it.

From the beginning, it's always sounded better to have a twin turbo setup, but the reality is different. What it gets down to is efficiency - a single turbo setup is simply more efficient than two. Less piping, more exhaust gases for one turbo to use, and the more exhaust gas you have to use, the faster things spool up. Not to say that the twin-turbo in my Legacy was that bad - it did spool up sooner than the single turbo systems of it's day. But it did that with a pair of very small turbo's - ones that produce, at max, 170hp each - to get around the fact that it only has 1000cc's of engine displacement to get exhaust gas from. Not only does that limit max power, but torque was also a bit limited. Torque is really generated in the mid range on Subaru's boxer engines, and you forfeit your mid-range with the Subaru twin turbo system. There is nothing more annoying than having to shift right at 4000rpm, just when things are feeling good. The new twin-scroll neatly solves all those problems, and reaches peak torque at 2400rpm to boot. Holds around that peak till 5400rpm, nothing like a big mountain in the middle to make that backside feel good. It will be fun to see how much power we can get out of the new twin-scroll 2.0 Legacy GT here in Japan. I wager even more power is available from the USDM Legacy 2.5 GT, especially since the turbo will be easier and cheaper to replace. Cheers, Paul Hansen

We really should have Paul over here more often. :D It comes down to the typical American 'more is better' thinking. Not always as is proved. I really enjoys Paul's words of wisdom as he has taught me many things. :)

Just a quick word - the dyno doesn't show everything. Great bottom end torque is very seductive. Partial throttle the VOD is not really an issue.In the real world it works ok - most of the time u drive under 4000 rpm anyway so it's a non issue. To keep things in context it's a better car than the first gen Legacy. And remember the twin dates back to about 1993 so for the times..... In hindsight Subaru probably should have ditched the TT setup for the 3rd Gen. But saying that i'd be very happy owning an RSK.

Archived