LegacyGT.com

'05 LGT Ltd cabin filter - retrofit

coarsegoldkid

I have a very early build 05 ( I pre-ordered the car before it came out). Maybe they realized part way into 05 how far off the filter tray and air box were and adjusted them. There is no way my filter tray can come out of the air box. It's off to the right and higher than the slot it's supposed to come through on the back of the 08 glove box.

I also have an early build date for my car, but I was able to get the 08 parts to work.

No alignment issues. Just take the glove box out, remove the 4 pop-its to take off the little hatch door, and slide out the filter tray.

Just out of curiosity what is the build date (listed on the white sticker on the wall of the drivers door) on your car?

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you want a better fitting and better looking solution to the air filtration difficulty for your early 2005 (and 2006-2007 with the silly cloth cover) you can update all models to the new 2008 style. The 2008 style has an all new molded rear glove box section and a molded plastic door that covers the filter tray area that is held in place with 5 pop-its. Much cleaner looking and more solidly put together. It still takes about 10 minutes to change the filter but is a huge improvement over the 2005 non-design and the '06-'07 hacked-cloth design.

I installed all the '08 parts in my early '05 today, took about 40 minutes total (I was taking my time). Didn't get any pic's because I wasn't sure it would work, but since it did I will also be ordering the same parts for my wife Legacy and will photo document the install at that time.

2008 Parts needed:

Glove box back panel - 66208AG07A

Air filtration access cover - 66241AG29A

5 Clip's (pop-its) - 909140037

Pocket cushion - 66153GA000

2 Tapping Scews - 904500025

and of course a replacement cabin filter - G3210AG000

Total cost (including the filter) was about $100, about the same price as the "Retro" kit from Subaru.

Has anyone done this? I can't figure out how he installed the screw taps (90400025). I'm assuming they go at the top of the glove box by the hook. Also, what the heck is a pocket cushion? Didn't order one. Thanks.

• 7 months later...

I have an 05 Outback wagon without the retrofit kit either factory installed or otherwise. There is no access panel, cloth cover or anything. So now at 83K miles I am about to remedy the situation. Currently changing the filter requires tearing the center console apart and dropping the glove box WITH the glove box back panel attached (left pivot point attached with screw and grommet). After I peeked into the tray, I realized there was never a filter in the box.

My Vin wasn't covered by the recall.

Will Opie's parts match up with my car? My left pivot point on my glove box currently is a screw and grommet arrangement as compared to the post and socket of the later productions. This requires the whole shebang to be dropped to access the filter.

I never saw write up of the actual 08 conversion procedure and if this conversion is from scratch to 08 or if this is from the retrofit to 08.

There was one poster who said he had problems because of the location of the right support and another who said he need additional 2 nuts with no explanation of where these went. Where do the 2 tapping 904500025 screws go?

Any clarification would help.

• 1 year later...
I have an 05 Outback wagon without the retrofit kit either factory installed or otherwise. There is no access panel, cloth cover or anything. So now at 83K miles I am about to remedy the situation. Currently changing the filter requires tearing the center console apart and dropping the glove box WITH the glove box back panel attached (left pivot point attached with screw and grommet). After I peeked into the tray, I realized there was never a filter in the box.

Same.

My left pivot point on my glove box currently is a screw and grommet arrangement as compared to the post and socket of the later productions. This requires the whole shebang to be dropped to access the filter.

On other threads, everyone was saying the left pivot point just pulls out, and I thought I was going crazy, since that damn screw wasn't going anywhere. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

I never saw write up of the actual 08 conversion procedure and if this conversion is from scratch to 08 or if this is from the retrofit to 08.

I'd like to know this too. Who succeeded or failed, and going from what year and setup?

• 2 years later...

Please do. I have never done this on my wagon, owned it since new...it's 10 years old now, May 04 build date.

Do you notice any change in the air flow from the fan in the HVAC system ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

So along with the part list Opie describes below it's really pretty straight forward. As for Air flow I don't notice a difference at all in force of the air. It's only been a few days and the air already smells cleaner.

If you want a better fitting and better looking solution to the air filtration difficulty for your early 2005 (and 2006-2007 with the silly cloth cover) you can update all models to the new 2008 style. The 2008 style has an all new molded rear glove box section and a molded plastic door that covers the filter tray area that is held in place with 5 pop-its. Much cleaner looking and more solidly put together. It still takes about 10 minutes to change the filter but is a huge improvement over the 2005 non-design and the '06-'07 hacked-cloth design.

I installed all the '08 parts in my early '05 today, took about 40 minutes total (I was taking my time). Didn't get any pic's because I wasn't sure it would work, but since it did I will also be ordering the same parts for my wife Legacy and will photo document the install at that time.

2008 Parts needed:

Glove box back panel - 66208AG07A

Air filtration access cover - 66241AG29A

5 Clip's (pop-its) - 909140037

2 Pocket cushion - 66153GA000

2 Tapping Scews - 904500025

and of course a replacement cabin filter - G3210AG000

Total cost (including the filter) was about $100, about the same price as the "Retro" kit from Subaru.

Dimil posted an excellent tear down tutorial of the dash here

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/installation-cabin-air-filter-56k-warning-1626.html?t=1626

and then really all you need to do is swap out current parts for the 08 parts as you put it back together.

The best advice is to put the pocket cushions in before you re-assemble. The two taping screws go on either side of the glove box latch bar.

If you look at the pictures in this thread you can see where some of the new parts go. (screw clips) access door etc.

I'm curious about the parts in Opie's post.

I know in my mid-'04 built '05 Outback the access hole at the back of the glove box doesn't line up with where the tray for the filter would go.

Does the "Glove box back panel - 66208AG07A" relocate this hole so that it lines up with the filter tray? If not, then I see this as a pointless upgrade on early 05 models. With the hole where it is, I was unable to remove the plastic cover over the HVAC duct where the filter would go.

Mine doesn't line up perfectly but you can still get the tray out with a little finesse.

If you have some time, would you mind snapping a photo? I can't even get the cover off the duct, and I can't imagine getting a tray in and out.

I'll take a photo of mine.

Archived