LegacyGT.com

'05 LGT Ltd cabin filter - retrofit

coarsegoldkid

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I used to change them every six months, but now I am aiming for every three.

I follow Subaru's recommendations... BTW, AFAIK the OEM filter is activated charcoal, so it not only filters out pollen and dust, but actually cleans out nasty air pollutants as well.

A German car magazine did a test several years ago on these things, and they actually work...

That said, now that I live in the boondocks, maybe I'll switch over to something cheaper.

Ben

• 2 months later...
I know this is old but did anyone post a picture write up of the 08 retro fit for the cabin filter mentioned above?

Well I did the 08 retro fit. I also tried to photo document the work but the pictures were not helpful in my opinion.

Yes you have to tear the car apart but it really isn't to bad. There is a short instruction sheet that comes with the kit. The filter itself was a disappointment. Make your own with high quality filters from air conditioner filters(thin ones) from the hardware store. You'll see what I mean with kit in hand. Once the kit is installed replacement will be much easier but not as simple as changing the engine air filter. You still must wiggle into position, loosen a few fasteners and have a go at it. I think the kit is worth it, just make your own filter by using the tray as a template for size. I hope that helps.

• 4 months later...
If you want a better fitting and better looking solution to the air filtration difficulty for your early 2005 (and 2006-2007 with the silly cloth cover) you can update all models to the new 2008 style. The 2008 style has an all new molded rear glove box section and a molded plastic door that covers the filter tray area that is held in place with 5 pop-its. Much cleaner looking and more solidly put together. It still takes about 10 minutes to change the filter but is a huge improvement over the 2005 non-design and the '06-'07 hacked-cloth design.

I installed all the '08 parts in my early '05 today, took about 40 minutes total (I was taking my time). Didn't get any pic's because I wasn't sure it would work, but since it did I will also be ordering the same parts for my wife Legacy and will photo document the install at that time.

2008 Parts needed:

Glove box back panel - 66208AG07A

Air filtration access cover - 66241AG29A

5 Clip's (pop-its) - 909140037

Pocket cushion - 66153GA000

2 Tapping Scews - 904500025

and of course a replacement cabin filter - G3210AG000

Total cost (including the filter) was about $100, about the same price as the "Retro" kit from Subaru.

Did you ever document you wife's legacy install? Just recieved all of the above parts.

If you want a better fitting and better looking solution to the air filtration difficulty for your early 2005 (and 2006-2007 with the silly cloth cover) you can update all models to the new 2008 style. The 2008 style has an all new molded rear glove box section and a molded plastic door that covers the filter tray area that is held in place with 5 pop-its. Much cleaner looking and more solidly put together. It still takes about 10 minutes to change the filter but is a huge improvement over the 2005 non-design and the '06-'07 hacked-cloth design.

I installed all the '08 parts in my early '05 today, took about 40 minutes total (I was taking my time). Didn't get any pic's because I wasn't sure it would work, but since it did I will also be ordering the same parts for my wife Legacy and will photo document the install at that time.

2008 Parts needed:

Glove box back panel - 66208AG07A

Air filtration access cover - 66241AG29A

5 Clip's (pop-its) - 909140037

Pocket cushion - 66153GA000

2 Tapping Scews - 904500025

and of course a replacement cabin filter - G3210AG000

Total cost (including the filter) was about $100, about the same price as the "Retro" kit from Subaru.

Anybody have any pics of the 2008 parts just to see how much easier it is to change over the 2005-2006 silly cloth cover?

I was thinking about doing this update but wanted to see if it is any easier

Anybody have any pics of the 2008 parts just to see how much easier it is to change over the 2005-2006 silly cloth cover?

I don't have pictures, but here's the 2008 process:

1. Pry off the side cover from the dash board (where the dash meets the door). No screws.

2. Unscrew the glovebox hinge (one screw). Remove the glove box.

3. Tug out the owner's manual holder above the main glovebox compartment. No screws.

4. Remove the back of the glove box. Five screws.

5. Pop off the cover, and pull out the air filter element.

The first time I did it, it took 15 minutes. Now I'm sure I could do it in less than five.

Ben

Sounds like it is pretty much the same process as the 2006 retro version with the paper and velcro cover, i wonder what is actually different here.

I take the side cover off, I take the glove box off, pull the manual holder out, remove 3 screws holding bracket above paper cover, flip the paper cover up and pull out filter element.

Is the only difference the it actually has a cover that you unscrew instead of a paper velcro door?

If you could take some pictures of what it looks like with the glove box removed that would be great.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't have pictures, but here's the 2008 process:

1. Pry off the side cover from the dash board (where the dash meets the door). No screws.

2. Unscrew the glovebox hinge (one screw). Remove the glove box.

3. Tug out the owner's manual holder above the main glovebox compartment. No screws.

4. Remove the back of the glove box. Five screws.

5. Pop off the cover, and pull out the air filter element.

The first time I did it, it took 15 minutes. Now I'm sure I could do it in less than five.

Ben

could you post a pic of the 5 screws in the back of the glove box?

• 4 weeks later...
I am so pissed. I have all the necessary parts to convert my 05 to the 08 glove box. I got everything apart today. There is NO WAY the filter tray is coming out. It hits the right support bracket for the glove box where the screw goes in. The alignment is way off from the slot in the back of the 08 glove box. I had to reassemble my orignal setup.

I am so pissed. I have all the necessary parts to convert my 05 to the 08 glove box. I got everything apart today. There is NO WAY the filter tray is coming out. It hits the right support bracket for the glove box where the screw goes in. The alignment is way off from the slot in the back of the 08 glove box. I had to reassemble my orignal setup.

So you bought Subaru's updated/upgraded filter "kit" and it won't fit the 05s?

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

No. I bought all the pieces Opie listed when he converted his 05 glove box to the 08 glove box so that he could use the cabin filter.

Now that I think of it, the retrofit kit was for certain VIN numbers. I have a very early build 05 ( I pre-ordered the car before it came out). Maybe they realized part way into 05 how far off the filter tray and air box were and adjusted them. There is no way my filter tray can come out of the air box. It's off to the right and higher than the slot it's supposed to come through on the back of the 08 glove box.

No. I bought all the pieces Opie listed when he converted his 05 glove box to the 08 glove box so that he could use the cabin filter.

Now that I think of it, the retrofit kit was for certain VIN numbers. I have a very early build 05 ( I pre-ordered the car before it came out). Maybe they realized part way into 05 how far off the filter tray and air box were and adjusted them. There is no way my filter tray can come out of the air box. It's off to the right and higher than the slot it's supposed to come through on the back of the 08 glove box.

Jim if you dont get it to work and need your money back let me know Ill buy the parts from you. I was getting ready to do the same thing and my car is an 05 with the hackjob conversion from the factory. I was going to remove the Subaru hackjob and get these parts.

Let me know if you have any luck if not email me at gregnauman@comcast.net.

Ill wait to order my parts until I hear from you, that way you wont be out the cash. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived