LegacyGT.com

Battery Drains Within 2 Days

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine's dead - sat for 3 days. No XM, no sub. We'll see what the stealership says.

05 LGT 5MT

I'll save you the trip...

You: Hi stealership, my battery is dead.

Stealership: Oh that's too bad, can you bring it in for service in a month?

You: A month?! WTF?!

Stealership: Yeah, we have a backlog right now due to the '07's dying all the time and that is the first available appointment.

You: Well, I guess I'm screwed, see you in a month.

1 month later....

You: Hi stealership, I'm here to drop off my car for service.

Stealership: Ok good, sorry we don't have any loaner cars for you but we are gonna need to keep your car for 3 days to try and duplicate the problem.

You: Crap, that sucks but I guess I will call a friend and have them pick me up and take me to work, etc.

3 days later....

Stealership: Ummm...yeah, we ummmm couldn't duplicate the problem or anything. Sorry. Here's your car back.

You: @%#$!@#%#^#$@^#$%&$(@_)&$%^@$@$!!

Mine's dead - sat for 3 days. No XM, no sub. We'll see what the stealership says.

05 LGT 5MT

If you are certain you left no lights on, and you are certain the battery is cooked, then skip the aggrevation of the dealer and go buy a new battery.

Save yourself a major headache explaining to the dealer that you aren't an idiot and a day's worth of hassle.

Battery is about 3 tanks of gas, in the grand scheme of things it is small potatoes.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

If you are certain you left no lights on, and you are certain the battery is cooked, then skip the aggrevation of the dealer and go buy a new battery.

Save yourself a major headache explaining to the dealer that you aren't an idiot and a day's worth of hassle.

Battery is about 3 tanks of gas, in the grand scheme of things it is small potatoes.

Why bother? They gave me a new one under warranty. Got the car back same day. They also did the relay recall work and changed my oil. Oh yeah, and that's after I had to cancel my appt for this morning and move it to tomorrow.

Guys-in an emergency if you know you have this problem, disconnect a good, charged battery, and reconnect the terminals the next day or whenever you need to. this will prevent you from being stranded or needing to "jump" it. Also, who did not have a "brand new" car from dealership when this happened?

Im having identical problem on my car, died after 2 different week long trips and once after a 3 day trip. This continued even after replacing with a fresh battery, so im convinced there is also a power draw somewhere. I have the XM module and aftermarket perimeter security system as well.

Where is the XM module, i'd like to pull it myself and see if that cures the problems.

Ed

Im having identical problem on my car, died after 2 different week long trips and once after a 3 day trip. This continued even after replacing with a fresh battery, so im convinced there is also a power draw somewhere. I have the XM module and aftermarket perimeter security system as well.

Where is the XM module, i'd like to pull it myself and see if that cures the problems.

Ed

I forgot about the perimeter security system...I don't have the XM module and a lot of people don't either. How many of you have the perimeter security system? If everyone does, maybe we've found our problem...?

The perimeter alarm came with the car (along with remote start). I had the XM module installed at the dealer. I seem to be doing better since the weather has warmed up 30 degrees F. I did accidentally leave the running lights on (switch on steering column) for about 6 hours or so and had to have a jump. I left the inside lights on in my Honda Pilot and Honda Accord overnight and the car started right up. I am sure I have a weak battery. I just have to prove it to the dealer.

Anyone having the starting problem HAS to call Subaru of America and get a case started and on file. I have had my 2007 LGT replaced due to the 07 non-start issue.

Make sure you document everything - I mean everything and check your state lemon laws as to how to proceed.

Be sure that SoA knows you are documenting and following your State lemon law rules. When you get to the point where you are at the edge of the lemon law requirements for SoA to either replace your vehicle or refund your money they will then naturally become a lot more responsive.

In my opinion it will not be until SoA has to start replacing enough vehicles that they will finally take this seriously enough to put a factory team on it. It's a money issue - if the cost to replace vehicles starts to exceed what the bean counters determine it will cost to diagnose and recall the problem - then it will be fixed for everyone. This problem is clearly beyond the ability of dealerships to determine the cause and resolve.

FYI... I made sure the dealership had my car sitting in their lot for 4 days without being started to document for SoA that the car had the long term no start problem. Prior to that the dealership could not find a drain and of course I went through the standard "you must be leaving on your dome light, map light, parking lights, trunk must be ajar etc.

Above all - be courteous with your dealership and SoA - but at the same time be professional and document everything needed for your states lemon law rules.

I guess my last post was missed. Everybody is thinking it's the XM unit or Sub. My problem was solved after replacing the Radio Head Unit/Climate Control Unit.

I've noticed that my option for my rear defroster to turn off after15 minutes or continuous on is now only turn off after 15 minutes. I don't have the continuous on option anymore Anybody with a spec.B or navi system verify that they do have an option for this?

This is getting out of control. I wonder what percentage of the 07s have this issue?

Come to think of it, when I was at the dealer, I wanted to test drive a Manual LGT, but I couldn't test drive it bcause it was either blocked in by another LGT that had a dead battery or it had a dead battery.

I guess my last post was missed. Everybody is thinking it's the XM unit or Sub. My problem was solved after replacing the Radio Head Unit/Climate Control Unit.

I've noticed that my option for my rear defroster to turn off after15 minutes or continuous on is now only turn off after 15 minutes. I don't have the continuous on option anymore Anybody with a spec.B or navi system verify that they do have an option for this?

I had my HU replaced and still no go for me so I'm not sure you've hit the nail on the head. I don't think I ever had the option to to keep my rear defroster on continuosly. Is there a button combo or something that you had to do?

I had my HU replaced and still no go for me so I'm not sure you've hit the nail on the head. I don't think I ever had the option to to keep my rear defroster on continuosly. Is there a button combo or something that you had to do?

There's a setup option in the Navi System, just hit the Info button and on the top row there are other buttons. You can change settings for the alarm system also, such as sensitivity for the perimeter alarm.

There's a setup option in the Navi System, just hit the Info button and on the top row there are other buttons. You can change settings for the alarm system also, such as sensitivity for the perimeter alarm.

I don't have the navi system...and I see where he posted that bit of info now :lol: Sorry. So I'm guessing then that you HAVE to have the navi to be able to do this?

• 11 years later...
I Have 2001 Legacy B4 which is draining the battery over night. New Battery. Had an auto electrican look at it. Disconnected alarm, radio and anything he could think which would draw power with key off but still has a big power drain. Can anyone help? Even has the Boys at Subaru confused??

• 1 year later...
I have a 2005 Subaru Legacy wagon 5mt with the dual automatic climate control. I bought it used with 197k on it and have been battling with a parasitic draw since I got it. I’ve been digging everywhere for a wiring diagram but all the links keep coming up to dead ends. The previous owner knew of the draw, had it in to a shop, found the draw was associated with a blue wire that came out of a plug above the interior fuse box. The shop wired up a switch on that wire, and problem (kinda) solved. With that switch off, the car will start, but all the doors show open on the dash. It also kills all the radio memory as well as all the radio/climate backlighting and the climate control and all of its memory. It also kills the clock and the milage computer. That’s the annoying part. When the weather is nice and I drive the car everyday, I can leave the switch on, and I am fine the following day. But if the car gets cold, or sits for more than one day, the car won’t start. By not start, it’ll crank for ages till the battery dies. Usually I can put a jumper pack on it and it fires up immediately. Now I can hear the fuel pump prime and after a period of time the odometer turns off while cranking. Ive has similar issues on other cars (not Subaru) where a faulty immobilizer would cut power to the ECM/fuel injectors/ ignition coil, if the immobilizer read an invalid key. My theory is the parasitic drain is bringing my voltage down to a level that is causing my key to read invalid, therefore shutting my spark or fuel off while I attempt to start. Ideally I want to identify that blue wire and it’s path through the car, fix the drain, and have a car that reliably starts every day I need it. Battery is less than 3 months old, new plugs, and timing was done within the last 3 months as well. None of those items have helped. After reading this thread, I do have a used head unit on the way as my disc changer function was not working anyway. Why help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I’m new and not allowed to post new threads yet.

Hopefully "m sprank" will check in here soon, or I hate to keep saying this, but, PM him.

He used to have a repair shop and is a great member with lots of knowledge.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here