LegacyGT.com

Battery Drains Within 2 Days

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same problem. The car is fine day to day, but if I'm away for more than three days or so, I return to a dead (absolutely dead, i.e. no courtesy lights or alarm chirps or anything) car. I replaced the battery with an Optima but it didn't solve the problem, just slowed it down a bit. I'm at a loss so far. Makes the car useless for driving to the airport or anything that involves leaving it for several days.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Mine isn't that bad just yet but I've noticed if i leave my car for more than two or three day's it cranks real slow as if the battery is almost dead. Never been so bad that i can't start it but my car barely has 6k miles on it.

I have the same battery problem as well! Even with a new Optima it always acts partially discharged. Dealer no help so far; says everything checks out fine, but every time I put the charger on it, it takes three hours to come up to full! Have resorted to keeping a trickle charger on it in the garage. What controls how much to charge the battery? Perhaps that is the problem?

I just hope everyone realizes that this is not normal. I didn't drive the car for a month and it started up when I got back. Granted this was in the summer time.

The first thing I would do is to clean the connectors. When reattaching the terminals, use a dielectric grease to help minimize corrosion.

If that doesn't fix it, then take the car to a car parts store and get a load test done on the battery. This is usually free.

If the battery is fine, take it to back to the dealer and ask them to find the low current drain. I can't believe that they would admit that it was a ground problem and then say that they can't find it. They should have at least lied and said that "it's normal."

I just went through this, however, my problem was that I had a bad battery. Doesn't sound like that's your problem.

To find the current drain.

0) Get a voltage/amp meter that reads up to like 1 A or more. Set the meter to read amps

1) Remove the (-)

2) Put a thick stranded wire across the meter (basically a short across the meter probes) and now close the circuit from the battery to the terminal cable. You want to do this to avoid the large transient across the meter when you complete the circuit again.

3) Remove the thick stranded wire. The meter should now read the current drain.

4) Start pulling fuses one at a time and note any change in current draw. Make a table by fuse and current draw without it.

This should pinpoint the faulty circuit if in fact you've got a wiring problem.

You should also check the OCV across the battery while you've got the terminal removed. Also check the voltage across the terminals when the car is running. I've got another thread with my battery woes that has a table showing what the temperature corrected OCV is for a healthy battery. Charging voltage across the battery when running should be ~14V.

Good luck, electrical problems are a PITA. (So says the Mechanical/CS Engineer)

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Mine isn't that bad just yet but I've noticed if i leave my car for more than two or three day's it cranks real slow as if the battery is almost dead. Never been so bad that i can't start it but my car barely has 6k miles on it.

Complain to the dealer and have them check it. Leave it in a garage with everything off and see if you lose your memory presets on your radio. That's one of my symptoms.

My car is at the dealer right now and hopefully they can pinpoint the cause of the draw. they said it's about 300 milliamps of draw. By the way, there was a workmanship defect on my rear seat and having that replaced also.

Battery, or car?

Start car, drive around, stop car.

Remove battery.

Come back next day.

put that battery into car. Does it start? If it did, you wouldn't have asked...

Put fresh battery into car. Does it start?

If the fresh battery doesn't work, then it isn't holding a charge very well. Dead battery.

If the fresh battery works, take it for a drive (8hours) and come back. Does it still start? If not, you have something leeching power from your car.

Pull all accessory fuses, find the minimum set that leaves the car drivable. Drive around, see if the battery builds up a charge. I like the metered approach much better though - watch what does in/out of the battery each time you add a fuse or turn an accessory on or off.

Only the OEM sub...can't f@ck that install up.

I have the same several days no start issue and here is my original post:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49233

Dealer is still looking for problem and has changed battery, instrument cluster etc.

Note that I also have the Subaru Subwoofer (and XM) installed by the dealer. Since this is also an option you have installed I am wondering if there may be an issue with the subwoofer?

Hey Phoenix96 - do you have the subwoofer option?

I think the radio head unit the subwoofer plugs into is a new design for 2007 and perhaps it is not properly shutting off the subwoofer. It would be interesting if you would disconnect your sub and with the car off meter the power line to see if it's got juice. I'm driving a loaner otherwise I would do it. Even if you can't test the power line for constant draw it is still worth disconnecting the subwoofer to see if the car starting problems go away. Just disconnect the 1 bracket/bolt at back of drivers seat that holds the sub in place and then pull the connector.

PLease make sure you call SoA (you also Phoenix96) and let them them know about your starting problems. Something is going on with Legacy's not starting after several days and those of us with the problem need to have Subaru make the connection that this IS a problem and is happening too frequently. Hopefully they will then assign some factory technicians to resolve the matter. Then maybe we will see a TSB and have cars that will start reliably.

Battery, or car?

Start car, drive around, stop car.

Remove battery.

Come back next day.

put that battery into car. Does it start? If it did, you wouldn't have asked...

Put fresh battery into car. Does it start?

If the fresh battery doesn't work, then it isn't holding a charge very well. Dead battery.

If the fresh battery works, take it for a drive (8hours) and come back. Does it still start? If not, you have something leeching power from your car.

Pull all accessory fuses, find the minimum set that leaves the car drivable. Drive around, see if the battery builds up a charge. I like the metered approach much better though - watch what does in/out of the battery each time you add a fuse or turn an accessory on or off.

It's not a battery problem in my case anyway. I replaced the battery and it still has the issue (but not as bad, probably owing to a stronger battery). It's fine if I drive the car at least every few days - it has to sit for a while for it to die.

phoenix96

Note that I also have the Subaru Subwoofer (and XM) installed by the dealer. Since this is also an option you have installed I am wondering if there may be an issue with the subwoofer?

Hey Phoenix96 - do you have the subwoofer option?

I do actually, although the first time I had the battery die on me was before installing the subwoofer.

I think the radio head unit the subwoofer plugs into is a new design for 2007 and perhaps it is not properly shutting off the subwoofer. It would be interesting if you would disconnect your sub and with the car off meter the power line to see if it's got juice. I'm driving a loaner otherwise I would do it. Even if you can't test the power line for constant draw it is still worth disconnecting the subwoofer to see if the car starting problems go away. Just disconnect the 1 bracket/bolt at back of drivers seat that holds the sub in place and then pull the connector.

I may do that when I get a chance.

PLease make sure you call SoA (you also Phoenix96) and let them them know about your starting problems. Something is going on with Legacy's not starting after several days and those of us with the problem need to have Subaru make the connection that this IS a problem and is happening too frequently. Hopefully they will then assign some factory technicians to resolve the matter. Then maybe we will see a TSB and have cars that will start reliably.

Unfortunately, I've been hesitant about taking the car into the dealership for the battery issue or the cruise control issue (the only two problems I've got) because I have several modifications that might be connected. The draining battery problem happened before I made any modifications to my car, though.

phoenix96

I have the exact same problem. My '07 SpecB has only 3000 miles and if I don't drive it a day, the next day the car will not start. It is completely stock. There is definitely a problem here - BTW I already checked and my battery checks out fine. The car is currently at the dealer, and of course they could not find any problem. They will be keeping it over the weekend and I will guarantee it will not start for them on Monday!

Wow, something is very wrong. I've gone two weeks with my 05 LGT without any issues.

Indeed. My Outback has sat next to the Legacy for two weeks. When I got home, the Outback started fine and the Legacy was completely dead.

phoenix96

OK...the dealership's Service Dept. just called on Friday and found that the XM Module was the cause of the Draw. They ordered a new one for me and will install it. They said after they disconnected the module, no draw. Hopefully this is the same problem everybody has been experiencing with their 07 LGT and the Dealerships are documenting it.

Everybody that is experiencing this problem, do you have the XM option installed?

OK...the dealership's Service Dept. just called on Friday and found that the XM Module was the cause of the Draw. They ordered a new one for me and will install it. They said after they disconnected the module, no draw. Hopefully this is the same problem everybody has been experiencing with their 07 LGT and the Dealerships are documenting it.

Everybody that is experiencing this problem, do you have the XM option installed?

The 2005 and 2006 models are not XM capable, so that's not the cause of the problem for me (or Lazzydog or papaya51 I think).

phoenix96

Yes, I have both XM and Subwoofer..and both are being replaced. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!!

Good to hear they may have found the problem. I do have the XM module too. Today, my dealer called to see indeed my car wouldn't start for them this morning (no surprise there!). I told them to check the XM module, hopefully this will be the root of my problem too.

Just got my car back and it was the actual Radio Head Unit was replaced. The repair advisor told me it was the XM module but I saw my Radio HU on the repair bench.

:icon_conf

Well, I'll be replacing the stock head unit in my car with an MP3-capable unit shortly. I guess I'll see if that makes any difference with my problem.

phoenix96

Complain to the dealer and have them check it. Leave it in a garage with everything off and see if you lose your memory presets on your radio. That's one of my symptoms.

My car is at the dealer right now and hopefully they can pinpoint the cause of the draw. they said it's about 300 milliamps of draw. By the way, there was a workmanship defect on my rear seat and having that replaced also.

300 ma is alot of draw. The industry standard for maximum is only 33ma. The typical modern day car will hover around 10-15ma. That said, a fully charged battery with a standing voltage of 12.55 volts or more will last weeks, maybe months at 10 ma or less.

An IOD of that much shouldn't be hard to find unless it was an intermittent condition.