LegacyGT.com

Why buy a GT? - for the boost factor only?

-You get Subaru S-AWD w/ paying the premium of 91-93 Octane for the car usually every 9 days or so. That can equate to a lot of gas over the course of the year.

Is it really a lot? The GT will run fine on cheaper gas, but I don't like to do it. Premium tends to be $0.10 a gallon higher than mid grade. That's a whole $1.60 premium per fill-up for me, $3.20 a tankful over the cheap stuff. I don't like gas prices, but when I'm done pumping I look at the screen and don't think that $1.60 is all that big a savings. The turbo sure does make burning the gas more enjoyable than in most other cars.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^ NYC is more like 15 to 20 cents per gallon more. Is not how much more it is per fillup, but at least with me, how many more times I had to fill it up per miles used. On weekends sometimes I would spend almost 60 to 80 on gas alone, and that was driving in the city, and maybe one trip over 20 miles to jersey. It got ridiculous for me.

Maybe later down the line it won't matter anymore.

X

---

Is it really a lot? The GT will run fine on cheaper gas, but I don't like to do it. Premium tends to be $0.10 a gallon higher than mid grade. That's a whole $1.60 premium per fill-up for me, $3.20 a tankful over the cheap stuff. I don't like gas prices, but when I'm done pumping I look at the screen and don't think that $1.60 is all that big a savings. The turbo sure does make burning the gas more enjoyable than in most other cars.

If you put 87 octane in your Legacy GT you might as well throw some dirt and potting soil in there with the gas. I don't get people that put cheaper gas in a Turbo'ed car and expect the same performance/response out of the engine.

If you don't stick to putting 91+ in your GT, you can be paying for it later down the road in engine repairs.

That's my peace about that subject.

On the contrary, I am enjoying my gains! :icon_bigg

Honestly, how many times can you really get to 100MPH really fast and not risk getting busted by the cops or something else stupid? Not to say that it is not fun, but for me at least, I had to balance my needs and wants.

ALL THE TIME...

Been doin it for 2 years here straight, no tickets in my girl yet...

Not that I can't be caught, but when I get the ticket, I can darn well say "great, at least I get a ticket for actually DOING something!" (Not just 10 miles over the speed limit lamo stuff like that...):icon_bigg

Out west here, we have a lot of people who feel it is their personal right to drive slowly on the highway, and that anyone behind them had better get used to it. Before we bought the OBXT, driving to and from the coast was a big fat pain. 10 miles of two-lane road between "passing zones." These passing zones are short, 1/2 mile sections with an extra lane in the uphill direction. Of course, does the guy who was going 35 on the twisties stay right and maintain speed? No. He floors it. Might as well have someone standing on a ladder by the side of the road waving a green flag.

But with the OBXT (or LGT), you are out and past the idiots before they even remember which pedal to press. Suddenly, going to the coast is a joy.

So is the boost the main factor in getting a GT? Yes. Hallelujah!:icon_mrgr

PS - All of the above takes place well under 100. 35 - downshift - displace your internal organs - 70 - upshift and settle in. The kids even cheer from their carseats. "Go, Daddy!"

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

I consider getting the 2.5i over the GT limited, mainly since it's about $5,000 less but even though I wasn't buying the LGT for speed, I needed a car w/ some pickup. I'm coming from a BPU twin turbo 3000GT VR4 so I miss the power but the older car reliability sucked so I wanted a newer car. I wasn't going to buy BRAND new, but got a great deal on the 07 and it's my first loan so I wanted to start building up my credit anyway. Love the car so far and approacing 1000 miles.

-David

Well, since I went from the 2.5i to the GT. I can tell you that I like the seats in my GT better, dual climate control is a plus, bigger rotors, more get up and go, better suspension stock, more aftermarket, heated seats FTW, gearing is different between the GT and 2.5i, GT has LSD in the rear and some more pluses that I found over my old 2.5i. Not to mention, my insurance went up a whopping $4.25 per month.

so it's true? the GT suspension and the NA's is different? it sure feels different too

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

• 2 weeks later...
you know fellas i owned a 04 sti before this and i feel more rich driving this car than the sti. Rich i mean comfortability, price safety and looks. Sure it doesnt have 290 hp, but ive grown out of that stage of needing that much power. I can still pass and still get passed regardless ( my sti passed by a viper). I think the main reason why i bought this car is simple its a subaru. Best crash rating best AWD system most airbags ive seen. This car looks great from front to back. Lines proportion everything. We should all be very fortunate that we are able to own such a wonderful car, what ever model it be. Judging by the posts you all seem like very proud papas and mommas.

I own a lgt and a 2.5i and the differences are too many to note, to say the least the 2.5i feels as cheap as it is, don't get me wrong I love both, but the lgt is much more car, I mean its a real car not some plastic toy like the 2.5i.

07 2.5i LTD auto 23/30

07 2.5i SE auto 23/30

07 2.5i SE manual 22/29

07 LGT manual 20/27

07 LGT auto 19/25

Your driving style has more of an impact on your mileage than your choice of Legacy does.

while this is true, I am amazed at my 2.5i getting the mileage it's getting. Right now I am getting 26MPG in full winter getup. I stomp on it whenever I get a chance, I don't baby this car...it's a company car. I do a fair amount of HWY driving so I am sure that helps my MPG but I have studded tires and a big Thule box on top and somehow I still get 26MPG. This is way better MPG than my old Legacy L. We all have the MT in our work cars. Aren't all GT's coming with the AT now?.....eeeeeeeeww, AT on snow and ice, i'd rather walk.

Now, the 2.5i is not a GT in the motor dept in any way shape or form. It's pretty damn quick and like some of the 2.5i owners have said, the motor sounds really cool between 4-6.5K RPM. You stomp on the 2.5i and it goes. When I first bought the 2.5i, I had mattg come up behind me and it was pretty obvious that the LGT was waaay faster...like a rocket vs. a spitwad. It is not much of an argument, the GT is more fun to drive IMO. The suspension on the 2.5i is about the same as my L was...again not as nice as the GT. As for the interior the my 2.5i is better IMO. I hate leather and goodbye stock head unit.

I don't buy the GT for work cars due the the MPG and the 91 octane fuel requirement. Price is not the issue, the LGT is a bargin for what Subaru sells them for vs. what the car can do. It's the long term fuel cost and maintenance costs that keep me from getting the LGT's for work...even for me, the boss man.

Bottom line, the 2.5i would probably shock a few LGT owners as to how fast and fun it really is. When it really comes down to it, the 2.5i is not a car you would want to put up against the LGT on a twisty road or a straight line...unless you have the AT, then you just need to get out of my way:icon_mrgr. If the roads are icy, you soooooo need to get out of my way. I am really wanting new suspension as this car has a pretty bad push IMO and I have nothing but tire pressure to help with adjustments. Check it though, this car is getting better MPG than most LGT's looking like this...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b179/aboone1970/car1.jpg

I own a lgt and a 2.5i and the differences are too many to note, to say the least the 2.5i feels as cheap as it is, don't get me wrong I love both, but the lgt is much more car, I mean its a real car not some plastic toy like the 2.5i.

it's the suspenstion that makes the 2.5i feel cheap...it's pretty sloppy IMO.

Well, off to the mountain....8 inches of new

Guest subiecity
so it's true? the GT suspension and the NA's is different? it sure feels different too

i honestly dont think there is any noticable differnce with springs and shocks, i was able to swap everyhting out on my 2.5i from the GT unless its spec B which has the bilstein i belive , i couldnt tell any difference when driving my 2.5i and sitting shotgun in my freinds GT, both stock suspensions were kinda soft...and when down shifitng hard both rear ends slam to the ground, felt the same to me

On the contrary, I am enjoying my gains! :icon_bigg

I like my AUX Input, new radio, and folding down seats, and I have already used all features and missed them a lot on the '05.

Honestly, how many times can you really get to 100MPH really fast and not risk getting busted by the cops or something else stupid? Not to say that it is not fun, but for me at least, I had to balance my needs and wants.

The GT is a great car, but the 2.5i is not bad either. At least in limited form. :)

To the OP in the end do what makes more sense for you, and what you can afford responsibly.

X

Glad you are enjoying your new car, if I lived in New York I don't know if I would even bother to own or drive a fast car either. Perhaps some day you can move to a real state, and then you can have a reason to own a more sporting car again.

Honestly, I could leave my current home take a left and run it up to triple digits and probably no one else but me would even be aware of it.:) That is one of the many joys of living in a state with a very low population density.

Guest subiecity
i live in NY as well and i can do the same, i live an hour from the city but all the roads up where i am are 55 mph , and the skool zone is 45, i pull triple digits maybe once or twice a week depending how amped i am,

i live in NY as well and i can do the same, i live an hour from the city but all the roads up where i am are 55 mph , and the skool zone is 45, i pull triple digits maybe once or twice a week depending how amped i am,

I guess I need to requalify my statement as: "If I lived in New York City...." I understand upstate NY isn't so bad. I still wouldn't willingly live there, but to each his own.

haha I forgot you still can drive really fast going down 2nd avenue from the 60's to where it ends and have a blast. and why go fast all by yourself and bored to death when you have 100 cabies playing along with you!

I don't care what anyone says, but you can't compare any other place in the USA to NYC for it's character and diversity of people. When I lived in Buffalo NY I hated how after a certain time everything closed and it was a ghost town.

Here if I need to go food shopping, or do anything else for that matter at 3 in the morning, you can bet something is going to be open somewhere.

When I move, that is going to be one of the things I will miss. Also being able to buy beer at the gas station! :)

X

---

Archived