LegacyGT.com

Why buy a GT? - for the boost factor only?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, since I went from the 2.5i to the GT. I can tell you that I like the seats in my GT better, dual climate control is a plus, bigger rotors, more get up and go, better suspension stock, more aftermarket, heated seats FTW, gearing is different between the GT and 2.5i, GT has LSD in the rear and some more pluses that I found over my old 2.5i. Not to mention, my insurance went up a whopping $4.25 per month.

I think the subaru website helps t3h mostest. So please do your research there. The answer to all your questions are on the website. But yes, the GT got bigger brakes, different transmission and awd and different firmer suspension and different creature comfort inside. Different fuel economy and gasoline requirements too. The engines are also a lil' different beyond the turbo as well (DOHC)

I went from a '05 GT Limited to a '07 2.5i Limited and ther differences are a few.

For starters, the engine is louder on the 2.5i. I actually like the seats on the 2.5 better than I ever did on the GT. The brake feel is day and night with the 2.5i winning. Better feel on the pedal, and they grab like nothing. Like I said I got the linmited, so inside I am not missing anything, and I gained a few things with the 07.

In terms of performance, those few seconds when I was actually able to use boost were heaven, but for 90% of the time I was either cruising or stuck in traffic. I miss tthe brte acceleration of the GT sometimes, but the 2.5i is no slouch. I really do not miss having to fill up the gas tank so often, and with premium, but that is the price that you pay.

You have to ask your question what exactly you want, and how you are going to use your car. My insurance went down $200 a year with the 2.5 as well.

Later down the line I will own another GT or better yet a Spec B, but for now I am pretty satisfied with the 2.5i.

X

---

I went from a '05 GT Limited to a '07 2.5i Limited and ther differences are a few.

For starters, the engine is louder on the 2.5i. I actually like the seats on the 2.5 better than I ever did on the GT. The brake feel is day and night with the 2.5i winning. Better feel on the pedal, and they grab like nothing. Like I said I got the linmited, so inside I am not missing anything, and I gained a few things with the 07.

In terms of performance, those few seconds when I was actually able to use boost were heaven, but for 90% of the time I was either cruising or stuck in traffic. I miss tthe brte acceleration of the GT sometimes, but the 2.5i is no slouch. I really do not miss having to fill up the gas tank so often, and with premium, but that is the price that you pay.

You have to ask your question what exactly you want, and how you are going to use your car. My insurance went down $200 a year with the 2.5 as well.

Later down the line I will own another GT or better yet a Spec B, but for now I am pretty satisfied with the 2.5i.

X

Sounds like your trying to justify your loss:lol: .

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

Sounds like your trying to justify your loss:lol: .

On the contrary, I am enjoying my gains! :icon_bigg

I like my AUX Input, new radio, and folding down seats, and I have already used all features and missed them a lot on the '05.

Honestly, how many times can you really get to 100MPH really fast and not risk getting busted by the cops or something else stupid? Not to say that it is not fun, but for me at least, I had to balance my needs and wants.

The GT is a great car, but the 2.5i is not bad either. At least in limited form. :)

To the OP in the end do what makes more sense for you, and what you can afford responsibly.

X

---

I like my AUX Input, new radio, and folding down seats, and I have already used all features and missed them a lot on the '05.

Honestly, how many times can you really get to 100MPH really fast and not risk getting busted by the cops or something else stupid? Not to say that it is not fun, but for me at least, I had to balance my needs and wants.

The GT is a great car, but the 2.5i is not bad either. At least in limited form. :)

To the OP in the end do what makes more sense for you, and what you can afford responsibly.

X

all those extra things the you mention for the 05 gt not having also come on the 07 gt's

im sure brake feel is better why? because your car isnt as powerful

engine louder?...its not ard to make an engine growl on a GT...hell a few mods posted here are either free or will cost you less than a few dollars

but you are right about one things its all going to depend on how you like your car...

i went from SoCal being able to open up my car in top gear when i needed, to Hawaii where speed limit on the freeway is 50...i think i can hit that at the bottom of second gear:lol:

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

No trust me, the brakes grab a lot faster, and a better pedal feel. Not about being faster when you are just slowing down from 30 MPH. There are other members that have driven both and for some reason the 2.5i has better brakes. :confused:

The noise is a negative thing. I liked the silky smooth revving engine that the GT had, the 2.5i is raspy and not as smooth.

Handling wise, the suspension fels the same in everyday driving being stock.

I tis interesting to note as well that I went from a 5 speed to a auto, and the 2.5i manual may be much better responding.

But yeah, decide on what fits you best at teh given time, and d o not buy a car payment, but a car.

X

---

X

Not to be an ass, but I hit 100 at least once a day going to work.:lol: I love the boost and performance. StageII is absoulutely amazing and makes getting on the freeway a blast. I sold my 99 Outback for the Legacy and while I miss the extra space of the wagon I dont regret anything else.

I was aware of the pitfalls of the turbo (MPG ) prior to buying. What I did not take into consideration though, was the extra money I would spend on mods :lol:.

I dont think the 2.5i and the GT are a fair comparision. I have to agree with the previous threads it is not JUST a turbo that makes them different.

X

like the OG poster its what is going to work for him, for aux input i have a pioneer radio w/ three of them, did i lose the stock radio? heck no its now a changer hooked up to aux in.

in all my years of owning cars ive owned 4 w/ folding rear seats, didnt even know my GT didnt have em, funny thing is not once have i ever carried anything big enough to ever have folded down my seats, nor do i intend to....

no loss there FOR ME.

i almost bought the 2.5i fully loaded but the sheer thrust of the GT got me in the end.

Gas is not an issue for me,again get what fits your needs.

Remember those WANTS are so sweet and somtimes they win :icon_mrgr

I've never hit 100 in my GT. Any loser can hit 100. I brush it a lot, though. I do a lot of high speed cruising in bumper-to-bumper traffic. When the gods smile and one (maybe two) decisive move can unlock an open stretch, the GT has enough sack to start its sprint above 80 and be past the couple of cars ahead of it before they've even thought about moving into the open lane.

I also go through two tollbooths each way. Turbo FTW!

Fold down seats are important. My wagon has them.:icon_bigg

I've never hit 100 in my GT. Any loser can hit 100.

It really depends on where you live too. I'm in Southern California and while we do have our fair share of grid lock there are quite a few places where highway traffic cruises at 85-90. I struggle to understand why going 100+ makes some one a loser though. Going fast is fun (as long as it is done responcibliy)

Im a newb here, but I just recently (this past wednesday) purchased a leftover 06 LGT that my local Subaru dealer had leftover on their lot. I drove both the 06 and 07 LGT's, as well as the 07 2.5i. Like you say, the 2.5 is no slouch (compared to other cars in its class), but compared to the GT, it is just that, a slouch. I found the 2.5 to possibly have "better" brakes, but not as smooth (personally). Like everyone has said, to each his own. I am a frequent autocrosser with my auto club at my college, and putting both cars to those stresses will EASILY point out the differences between them, but then again, not everyone needs a weekend-warrior like me. I think that we should be comparing 2007 to 2007, not different years like above, too much changes to be comparable. I don't know about you guys, but there's just something about the boost that makes me smile around 3.5k-6k pretty much every time I get there (maybe it's still the new car feeling). :)
Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

No, I meant the opposite! There just isn't anything special or magical about it- any loser can go that fast. There's no "I bought the GT; now I can go 100mph" feeling. As long as you're driving reasonably, the numbers on the speedometer are irrelevant. Sometimes 40 can be too fast for conditions on the same road, so what's a number, really? The GT's biggest strength is that it still has plenty of acceleration available even when it's cruising at 80-90.

I brush 100 frequently, but I find it entertaining to not go higher. Once when my wife was driving she looked down and saw that she was doing almost 105, and it amuses me to remind her that she's had it going faster than I have.

My biggest smiles always came in between 80 and 100MPH. The sheer acceleration was great! I agree that between the 05-06 and the 07 there are a lot of differences. If I had to change anything it would be getting the 2.5i in a 5 speed instead of a auto, but I had to get an auto this time around.

Here in the city there are just very few places where once can hit 100 regularly. I have hit 80-85 on the 2.5i and it is not bad. The one thing I can not get used to is the harshness of the engine at higher RPM's. I attribute this to the GT having a DOCH engine, and the 2.5i just being a SOCH. So yeah, that is one other major difference between the two besides the Turbo. Oh, one other thing is the auto's 90-10 distribution of AWD until the power is really needed. The GT in 5 Speed was 50/50.

Honestly while cruising, and without having to accelerate drastically, the limted 2.5i is up to par with the GT in ammenities. As soon as you need that extra umph, then that is where you know where you money goes.

I am jus happy and glad that I am in a Subaru, and not in one of the hundred of other cookie cutter japanese cars that I see everyday. Just the other day at the car wash some guy just kept on looking at my car while it was being dried, and he could not help himself to comment on what a good looking Subaru I had. That is what makes a Subaru a Subaru! :)

X

---

its doent really matter whether the 2.5i is a SOCH...My lancer was a SOHC and it was verycomfortable at 80+ with 5 gown guys in it

you comparing the 2.5i to the GT is like comparing my non-turbo lancer to an evo...interior has the same ammenties...but wheres the difference?

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

We all know the interior of the Lancer, be it a regular, ralliart or evo suck big time.

I am really not sure what you are getting at, since I already said that being a SOCH the engine seems harsher and louder than the GT. So if you prefer a quieter more refined engine, then make sure that you test drive both.

X

---

We just got back from a trip to Vegas and at one point we had our '03 Forester X (stock) going 110mph in the mountain passes. I didn't even realize we were going that fast. So I agree anyone can get up above 100mph in the right (or wrong situation). But I have to say I miss my '02 WRX abd getting plastered to my seat when the turbo kicked in!

Aside from Laz whom I respect downgrading to save some dough, the GT for the most part is only for those looking for a performance sedan w/ some kick.

In comparision of the two:

2.5i

-Engine is louder by default (as Laz has stated)

-Seats, interior, features are just about identical to the GT

-Ride quality is just about the same (this is based off me driving a '05 2.5i mind you) but there are some suspension differences

-You get Subaru S-AWD and a car that doesn't take premium gas.

now if those interest you, then by all means, the 2.5i is the car for luxury,comfort and everyday driving w/ 175BHP and a sport 4EAT w/ sportshift and a 5 speed manual.

The 2.5GT

-Turbo engine's just don't whine like the N/A 2.5 Subaru engines unless you mod with an Up-pipe/Downpipe combo.

-Interior features for a Subaru are compariable (but of course not the same) as a BMW/Audi. Not on the same level as I still think the interior needs some work (praying for the '08 to have the JDM '07 interior and then some....) You'll get your leather, moonroof, power seats w/ memory + heated seats by default. W/ the 2.5i you have to purchase a "Limited" with that option. The GT comes with that cost included.

-You get the potent VF40 turbo on the GT which drops around 12.7 PSI out of the gate. I'll admit it... when I drive the car, I usually get sub-200 miles to a tank.... why? I love Turbos. :D When the wife drives it, I usually get 250-300 a tank. (Course it can depend on the mood she's in, sometimes she gets sub-200 as well. :D) The biggest difference is 175BHP vs. 250BHP which rough equates to 135WHP vs 191WHP.

-You get Subaru S-AWD w/ paying the premium of 91-93 Octane for the car usually every 9 days or so. That can equate to a lot of gas over the course of the year.

That being said, price different between an '07 2.5i Limited and a '07 GT is about $4,000-$5,500 and some change MSRP.

The best reason I would say buying the GT is for the pure enjoyment of driving a car that you love and brings a smile to your face every time you get behind the wheel because of the power and because of a truly smooth built Subaru engine. (non-studdering of course)

Either way, both are great cars at great prices for what you get.

The noise is a negative thing. I liked the silky smooth revving engine that the GT had, the 2.5i is raspy and not as smooth.

The intake system in the '99 has added resonators, and it produces are pretty nice growl for a 4 cylinder. Course, it is a big 4 cylinder. My '96 did not make a sound that nice, didnt have the resonators, but it made a nice sound too.

Why did Subaru add the resonators? My guess is to make the LGT sound sportier. Which is a bad idea, if loud sound is more of selling point that being quiet. Though it is pretty quiet on the highway, but not quieter than the '96. And now Im just rambling.

Archived