LegacyGT.com

Oh @#$% In The Snow

I was in Mammoth also, lots of snow fell on the 21st. Too bad to hear about your accident, but I am glad to hear you are ok. I am riding on the stock RE92's and I seemed to do ok. It was the first time in the snow with my car and I went into a vacant parking lot test the traction and handling limits. I was not very impressed with the tires, so I drove way mellow on the roads.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

So my car is in the shop now about to get some TLC. The front bumper is thrashed and I've got a good relationship with the shop so I think I could opt for an aftermarket bumper and put the tab on the insurance. I like the JDM bumper but its a pretty subtle difference. Are there any other viable options here?
...sporting the hottest Legacy on the westside of my block:icon_bigg

wait a minute? LA??? you said LA??? This looks like canada!! lol

btw, this would be most embarrasing to have your car seen like this...

sorry mate

Mammoth is five hours from LA and yeah, it was :(...

Here is my car, dog, and me shoveling out after 30" of snow. It took me three and a half hours to get home with about 15" of snow when I left work, and the next 15" over the next three hours! When I turned onto my street, I thought that there would be no way to even get to my house, but the GT did it, mind you I only made it half up my driveway (my wife did not get out and shovel), but I'm extremely impressed. All this on the stock RE92's! I wouldn't recommend driving around on summer tires all the time, however the AWD got me through this.

Sorry, pics didn't download.

Here is my car, dog, and me shoveling out after 30" of snow. It took me three and a half hours to get home with about 15" of snow when I left work, and the next 15" over the next three hours! When I turned onto my street, I thought that there would be no way to even get to my house, but the GT did it, mind you I only made it half up my driveway (my wife did not get out and shovel), but I'm extremely impressed. All this on the stock RE92's! I wouldn't recommend driving around on summer tires all the time, however the AWD got me through this.

CIMG0672.jpg.6b320e8b8811b63e272414b3fd29f9f4.jpg

CIMG0673.jpg.2eb2e5556393a5eb5899ca859e5243bf.jpg

CIMG0676.jpg.30ee33d7dd968f51d98c0afd28bc4869.jpg

CIMG0677.jpg.cb0e6b9d3ae9c74568c75821724fdd6c.jpg

I have the kumhos and they were much better than the re-92s in similar conditions last year. I hit a spot on the intersection notorious for black ice and i have to take blame for not slowing down enough and downshifting to first. Given what happened, an investment in dedicated snow tires is a pittance compared to the damage i sustained by trying to wing it with the kumhos.

What is a good tire that can handle the highway drive on dry pavement but still handles like a champ in the snow?

I do not wanna pick on you but the only one to blame here is you, NOT the tires. If you think dedicated snow tires would have helped on black ice, then it is indeed a pity. There's nothing wrong with Kumhos, as a matter of fact there is nothing terribly wrong with RE-92s (they aren't as forgiving as others). Only tires with studs could help you on ice. For the rest, you just have to use common sense and slow down in intersections, on bridges and anywhere else you may know if ice formation - and/or where you feel ice could form.

The only time you need dedicated winter tires is when you live in areas that regularly see snow in winter and the roads aren't cleared. If you lived in Chicago and have winter shoes on, then you're probably overdoing it. At the pace things are going, summer tires would probably still work out for you, especially around noon time.:icon_mad:

LOL F1, as an F1 fan you should know Waaaaaaaaay better than to say tires don't matter. :)

Check out the tirerack winter tire tests - the WS-50 vs the RE960 is particularly illuminating.

But, believe what you want.

Sorry about your woes.

Don't let everyone give you false hopes on winter tires. Driving slow/easy/no radical moves is the key even with winter tires.

I have spent 16 of 20 years on high performance all-seasons(inc OEM RE92's x 3 :icon_razz in snowy/icy New England and no issues. Snow means driving like a granny to me.

• 1 month later...

Here are some newly discovered pictures of my 'incident'

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h297/elxkid/JamieWipeout01.jpg

worst parking job of all time...

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h297/elxkid/JamieWipeout02.jpg

winch to the rescue!

Archived