LegacyGT.com

Oh @#$% In The Snow

Well this thread was going to be about how awesome my car did in a snowstorm, right until this afternoon when i was heading home after an awesome powder day at mammoth...

I was making a left onto main st from minaret which is the busiest intersection in mammoth. The light was going from yellow to red and there was an unseen pedestrian in the way. Instinctively i tapped the brakes (whoops), started sliding, and realized in terror that i was about slam sideways into the light pole. I released the brake and straightened out as much as i could but i still took a glancing blow off the pole and got redirected into a downslope. I pulled the ebrake, prayed and thankfully didnt tumble any further down the hill on the other side.

Then I got to wait by my car in the intersection as countless rubberneckers got a laugh at my poor car's expense.

At least I wasn't hurt. Besides the body damage, im guessing 6-7 thousand, the car turned out to be fine.

P.S I went to LACR on the way home and ran a 13.5 (adjusted for altitude). The end.

IMAGE_194.thumb.jpg.39a123fc11f6b04b07e335c4229459d3.jpg

IMAGE_207.thumb.jpg.2412af24be06c9a6e866099de10b9999.jpg

IMAGE_208.thumb.jpg.a10483cd4064b5e390edacb22aaf1b19.jpg

IMAGE_210.thumb.jpg.69fa4ca5e5101fa9254628b31363de9f.jpg

IMAGE_212.thumb.jpg.4b392130d5c67b46f87804d0403587aa.jpg

...sporting the hottest Legacy on the westside of my block:icon_bigg

Kumho Ecsta ASX?

just guessing

uh....i've got those. reviews seemed pretty good in the snow.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I have the kumhos and they were much better than the re-92s in similar conditions last year. I hit a spot on the intersection notorious for black ice and i have to take blame for not slowing down enough and downshifting to first. Given what happened, an investment in dedicated snow tires is a pittance compared to the damage i sustained by trying to wing it with the kumhos.

What is a good tire that can handle the highway drive on dry pavement but still handles like a champ in the snow?

<snip> Not sure why you raised your wipers off the windshield, there are heaters there to melt any ice if they get frozen.

That's common practice around my way, keeps the rubber from freezing to the glass. After shutting the car off in the snow, the hot windshield melts the snow as it falls, and then as it cools off again it refreezes the blades to the glass in a big glob of thick ice.

Better to hit the light pole than pedestrian. Light poles can't sue.

Not sure why you raised your wipers off the windshield, there are heaters there to melt any ice if they get frozen.

well over the course of my ordeal i learned light poles are public property, therefore im liable for the damage i did to it i.e paint marks and scratches on the crossing button thingy that ripped a gaping hole in my car. I hope those arent pricey.

sorry to hear the damage. I wasnt trying to comment on the tires. just guessing from the tread pattern. also, in new snow, possibly covering ice, doesnt matter what you run, eventually you'll over drive the conditions.

Accidents happen, thats what insurance is for.

also, I hit a telephone poll once (the wood kind) I think it was $350 to replace.

Archived