LegacyGT.com

1999 Legacy Sedan L

DAVE SPEARS

I HAVE A 1999 LEGACY L SEDAN WITH LIMITED SLIP REAR END - THIS LAST WEEK THE CAR SEEMS TO BIND UP LIKE A 4WD TRUCK WITH FRONT HUBS LOCKED IN ON DRY PAVEMENT WHEN YOUR TURNING LEFT OR RIGHT TIGHT - IE: INTO A PARKING SPACE - HAS NO VIBRATIONS OR ANY DRIVELINE NOISE IN A STRAIGHT LINE OR WIDER TURNS - RUNS FANTASTIC - 1 WISH I HAD 2 OF THESE IN THE FAMILY (HAVE TO WAIT TO THE ASTRO VAN DIES ) I'M A SERVICE CONSULTANT FOR A CHEV/CADILLAC DEALER (20 YRS DOING THIS NOW) AND WE DONT HAVE A LOCAL SUBARU DEALER IN TOWN - NEED ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS THANK DAVE SPEARS :icon_conf :icon_conf :icon_conf :icon_conf :icon_conf

I HAVE A 1999 LEGACY L SEDAN WITH LIMITED SLIP REAR END - THIS LAST WEEK THE CAR SEEMS TO BIND UP LIKE A 4WD TRUCK WITH FRONT HUBS LOCKED IN ON DRY PAVEMENT WHEN YOUR TURNING LEFT OR RIGHT TIGHT - IE: INTO A PARKING SPACE - HAS NO VIBRATIONS OR ANY DRIVELINE NOISE IN A STRAIGHT LINE OR WIDER TURNS - RUNS FANTASTIC - 1 WISH I HAD 2 OF THESE IN THE FAMILY (HAVE TO WAIT TO THE ASTRO VAN DIES ) I'M A SERVICE CONSULTANT FOR A CHEV/CADILLAC DEALER (20 YRS DOING THIS NOW) AND WE DONT HAVE A LOCAL SUBARU DEALER IN TOWN - NEED ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS THANK DAVE SPEARS :icon_conf :icon_conf :icon_conf :icon_conf :icon_conf

If its auto it sounds like torque bind. i.e. something in the auto tranny. If so $1200-$1400. If manual sounds like viscous coupling. $1000. I have a 99 with a 5speed. The tranny has 170k on it. It is showing signs of the viscous coupling problem. My plan is to swap the tranny for a lower miles one due to syncros going also.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a 1999 Legacy L sedan with a limited slip rear end - the last week the car seems to bind up like a four-wheel-drive truck with front hubs locked on dry pavement, when you are making a very tight left or right hand turn - I. E. into a parking space or making a "u-turn". The car has no vibrations or any other known drive line issues. In a straight line or when making wider turns the car runs fantastic. I wish I had two of these vehicles in the family (I have to wait until the GM Astro van dies).

I am a service consultant for a Chevrolet / Cadillac dealership (and have been doing this for twenty years). We do not have a local Subaru dealership in town.

I need any help or suggestions.

Thanks - Dave Spears

David - I believe you are mistaken about having a limited slip rear differential. Subaru did not offer such rear-end for base model Legacy "L" cars in 1999.

The behaviour you are describing is actually fairly common for an AWD Subaru. It is a result of the front and rear axles turning in different circumference circles, and the AWD system reacting to the difference speed in the front and rear axles, and attempting to make them both turn equally. This will happen to some extent even on a new Subaru, although not to the degree that you described.

Subaru employed two different forms of AWD systems in 1999 for the manual transmission cars ("viscous coupling" - similar to the setup that the AMC corporation used on the old 1970ies vintage AMC Eagles and Quadratrac Jeeps), and for the automatic transmissions cars, Subaru used a series of electronically controlled "Clutch Packs" that would electronically engage when the system detects a certain level of Slippage.

I am going to go out on a limb here and just "guess" that your car has an automatic transmission, although I could easily be wrong. Which ever system you car has, before you run out and hunt down an experienced Subaru mechanic and spend a grand or so on repairs I would recommend that you have the fluids in both the rear-end and the transmission changed. If you are feeling lucky you might also want to have them add an additive such as Lucas Oil treatment.

What appears to have happened is that the "centre differential" mechanism has somehow become "jammed up" so that very little or no slippage is being allowed - very much similar to what you described as when a "part-time" 4x4 truck with a chain or gear driven transfer case is engaged on a hard surface and the resultant "jumping" that takes place when you are turning hard in a corner as the front and rear axles attempt to turn at the same speed whilst the arc of the front and rear turning circles are in fact different.

While I would not expect your cars symptoms to disappear immediately after having these fluids changed, after doing some tight turns you should notice some changes and hopefully after a day or two the symptoms should gradually subside.

I hope this helps.

Oh and for the manual 5-speed transmissions, I think Subaru recomends changing the viscous coupling fluid every 60,000 miles. This "semi-liquid goo" is unique in that the hotter is becomes the LESS viscous it gets. So that in normal driving it is basically the consistancy of honey, but when either the front or the rear axle starts slipping, the viscous fluid heats up and becomes LESS viscous, in effect forcing both the front and rear axles to turn at the same (or at least similar) speeds. Periodically changing this fluid is vital to the healthy performance of an AWD manual transmission Subaru.

Oh and for the manual 5-speed transmissions, I think Subaru recomends changing the viscous coupling fluid every 60,000 miles.

Mmmm I think we mythbusted this somewhere not to long ago. The fluid should last the life of the car.......but I guess anything is worth a shot if you feel like paying for it.

Archived