LegacyGT.com

How's your clutch?

So I finally had my clutch looked at, since its so limp. Ive got about 8000 miles since I got the new clutch, but since the CV boot replaced it just hasnt shifted like it used to. Took a drive with a Subaru mechanic who was helpful but told me there was really nothing I could do, but allow time.

I did ask if the new Subarus had clutches like that. He said yes, so Im asking you guys if you have a limp clutch or stiff and sporty one. Perhaps I should test drive one.

Whats dissapointing is that my sister's Corolla has a stiffer clutch than mine. People who arent familiar with my limp one, usually stall the car about 3 or 4 times and my whole family agrees that my clutch sucks. *Sigh*

Seriously stiff clutch in mine, I drove my friends jetta and nearly pushed his clutch through the floorboard...

I'm not really referring to the amount of effort to depress the clutch pedal, it's just the way that it engages that sucks IMO. There's no direct feel to the friction plate hitting the flywheel and it's rather vague and unsettling to me. After driving it for 6 months now, I've gotten used to it, but still with every 1'st gear start I'm still reminded of the lack of feel of direct contact.

why do you want such a stiff clutch feel?

Its not that I want a super stiff clutch, I just want anything. A clitch should sping back at you. Mine does that lightly, and I guess you could compare it to a limp, wet noodle. Haha. Anyway, the pedal doesnt spring back at me, so you expell more engergy trying to control it with your foot. Otherwise you stall, shift rougly, etc. Its annoying.

I can agree with that... I still kill it every once in awhile because I don't think it engaged, but it actually did, making me feel like an ass :)

^The minute I kill my car, my passenger drives, and I relent in disgust...

My clutch is semi stiff, just about right for my taste. Then again, it only has about 3K on it...

Archived