LegacyGT.com

cobb intake

CMyLGT

I noticed that too. I wish COBB would get on that one and make us an intake. In the mean time I think the SPT or the AVO would work fine (K&N is in the ballpark too). Does anyone know if cold air intakes mess with the fuel/air mix enough to get the car re-tuned after installation, or is it a bolt-on-and-go thing?

I think the general consensus is that if you're sticking any new intake on the car (with the exception being panel filters) you should probably be tuned for it.

Panel filters = no tune

Anything else (short ram, cold air, etc) = tune

I think the general consensus is that if you're sticking any new intake on the car (with the exception being panel filters) you should probably be tuned for it.

Panel filters = no tune

+1

(SPT actually makes less power then the OEM air box on the stock tune...see Cobb's test results...do a search on SPT intake)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39773

Hey, no that isn't my first mod, I just got quite a few things (STI TMIC, VF34, STI intake mani, HKS SSQV, Autospeed TBE) but i don't have an intake yet, and i want one before i put all this stuff in and get it tuned. I will probably just go with the panel filter and maybe remove the intake silencer.

Panel filters = no tune

the K&N typhoon intake and AEI CAI are show to add power without tune. Check TDC's intake test. I have a K&N typhoon and ran without a tune for awhile. They don't lean out the mix. I now have a TDC stage one tune for the K&N. I only heard people talk about it "may" need a tune after modds.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

the K&N typhoon intake and AEI CAI are show to add power without tune. Check TDC's intake test. I have a K&N typhoon and ran without a tune for awhile. They don't lean out the mix. I now have a TDC stage one tune for the K&N. I only heard people talk about it "may" need a tune after modds.

Wait... which one? This thread?

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49554

If so... this is what he said:

"For now ill show you an AEM Intake on my TMIC E tune VS my AEM TMIC E-tune

ill let the data show what i saw:

Lower MAF V= reads from lower Load sites Untuned

Leads to LEAN mixtures and tries to run ALOT more timing

You can see where it tries to advance and knocks

"

Untuned, the AEM CAI was knocking... after the tune, it was fine. Which leads me to believe, unless you want to run your car to knock, you'd want to tune for it.

• 2 weeks later...
FWIW, I've had the Cobb (prototype?) LGT intake on my car... My hearing has finally recovered. :) It was much louder than the AEM intake I now have on my car. It is hard to do an exact apples-to-apples comparison on the performance, but they are comparable on my car (~300 whp).

Archived